I am confused on lowering an N/A 84 944

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
I am confused on lowering an N/A 84 944

Good Morning 6speed!!

I bought my girlfriend a mint 84 944 N/A the other day so she can have her own Porsche also. She wants it lowered (as do I) with some 911 wheels on it. I have never lowered a 944 so I started to do research and I am confused on what I need to do in order to lower the car. My 2004 911 C4S has springs all the way around so I didn't have to mess with the TB. I thought I would be able to buy a nice set of springs and just lower the car but, I guess this isn't the case?

I looked online at some spring kits and they come as a set of four so, why wont this work? I would like to take the easiest route possible and just throwing four springs in would be nice but, I also am not looking to spend an arm and a leg on coilovers. I am not worried about performance as this is my girls car and she is not worried about how fast she can take a corner.

PLease someone point me in the right direction!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Well congrats on the purchase !! Those are fun cars, I would just make sure you do the timing belt every 45,000 miles. As for the suspension, the picture below shows how to adjust the rear suspension as it is a torsion bar. As far as the front I would recommend going with H&R springs, they offer a mild lowering to cleanup that "too high-rally-stock look." Stock ride comfort is retained.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
ECS the picture you posted didn't show up. I want to lower the car just to take up the wheel gap. I will most likely be putting 18's or 19's on the car. So, I am not too sure how low I really need to go? I read about the ecentric bolt but, nobody has pics of what the car looks like after using just the ecentric bolt to lower the car. If that isn't enough I am curious as to what spring would match with using the stock TB lowered. I know if I raise the spring rate in the front it will create understeer from not stiffining the rear. I kinda want to make this a cheap process. This car is just going to be all show. If I want speed I will just hop into my 911

Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Also, do you guys sell the H&R springs for the front and if so how much? I like H&R I had them on my old BMW and the ride was great. The only issue was spring sag after a little while.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
You can use some lowering springs in the front and just twist the torsion bars in the rear to lower it by about 1 1/2 inches or so, if my memory is right. I have had a bunch of 944s and they are really great cars.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM
That's what I have been leaning towards doing. I just don't know what kind of understeer it will create. It will only be driven around town and not on a track. I am almost 100% sure this is the route I will go

Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PoRsChE_ShIfTiN
That's what I have been leaning towards doing. I just don't know what kind of understeer it will create. It will only be driven around town and not on a track. I am almost 100% sure this is the route I will go
It will be fine...we raced one with this setup in the 24 Hours of Lemons and it did great. No understeer but we did get the rear end to come around a few times. You can always add some used turbo torsion bars to stiffen up the rear a little more as well and add sway bars from a turbo to really make it handle better.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks Lans I appreciate the response. I def am just going to throw some springs in the front and adjust the rear torsion bar. I read somewhere that you can drill out the casing and turn the torsion bars without having to take the whole suspension apart. Is this true?

Also, that is awesome to be able to race in Le Mans!! I go to the Le Mans races at Limerock park every year. I am hoping to go to the 24hrs of Daytona next year.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Former Vendor
Thanks Lans I appreciate the response. I def am just going to throw some springs in the front and adjust the rear torsion bar. I read somewhere that you can drill out the casing and turn the torsion bars without having to take the whole suspension apart. Is this true?

Also, that is awesome to be able to race in Le Mans!! I go to the Le Mans races at Limerock park every year. I am hoping to go to the 24hrs of Daytona next year.
You are correct...You don't have to take the whole suspension appart to lower it.

We raced our 944 in Lemons, not Le Mans...still cool, but nothing like Le Mans. Heres a little video of our race car:

Old 09-08-2012, 11:37 AM
That's so awesome!! I would love to be able to race like that. I can't see the video right now cause I'm not at my computer. Later on when I get home I will def watch it.

Do you know of a write up explaining how to drill it out the fb case to lower the rear of the car? I really don't want to have to keep taking everything apart until I get the height I desire.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I just watched your video, That was awesome where that other car almost flipprd right over you lol. I was def laughing when I saw that part!! I would love to get into racing. One of my drems was to race a 911 cup car at the 24hrs of le mans.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Also, do you guys sell the H&R springs for the front and if so how much? I like H&R I had them on my old BMW and the ride was great. The only issue was spring sag after a little while.
Not sure why the torsion bar picture didn't work, but I will look into that and try to get it to you by the end of the day. The OE H&R Sport Springs are designed with a revised spring rate for increased driving convenience with great handling characteristics. OE Sport Springs offer a mild lowering to cleanup that "too high-rally-stock look." Stock ride comfort is retained.

For more information Click Here

Old 09-11-2012, 05:38 PM
How many inches does these springs lower the car? I want to get at least an inch and a half in the front. How much do you charge for springs? Also, I am just going to index the rear torsion bars like suggested but, I can't seem to find a good write up on how to drill the casing on the end caps so I don't have to pull the whole suspension apart. Do you happen to have or know of a write up? Thank you so much for your time and help on this matter!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Former Vendor
PM Sent.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 PM
DontWriteGraff is on a distinguished road
in for details about the torsion bar aswell i just ordered springs for my 944 not h&r though i ordered Weltmeisters they lower 1.25 in the front i read a lot of good reviews about them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am confused on lowering an N/A 84 944