Is it worth to get a turbo s over a turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM
991TT is on a distinguished road
the right question should be ... how i will spec my car then after that i can tell if its worth it to go with the "S" or with out

Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
ok so lets change the comparison from a regular turbo with an aston martin vantage S.

Which is more reliable? And which is more DD friendly? I am assuming maintenance cost are the same for both.

Obviously the porsche is faster but I drove the vantage S and it was pretty damn quick, especially in the corners. The dealer manager scared the sh** out of me when he drove me around some curves with that car. He used to race.

How is the quality compared to both cars? Interior wise the vantage is obviously far better. But how is the paint on the porsche? To my knowledge the turbo is assembled by robots and not by hand like an aston and the paint is not buffed on a porsche like it is on the aston, is this correct?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:24 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Also what do you guys think about that new viper? lol

Old 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Dunno about the viper but sure sounds like the Astin salesman has done a job on you.

I mean let's face it from a performance perspective the 991tt is on another planet.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
Dunno about the viper but sure sounds like the Astin salesman has done a job on you.

I mean let's face it from a performance perspective the 991tt is on another planet.
Yea he freaked me out lol. I wouldn't dare have the ba**s to drive like that in my car.

But yea the performance of a turbo is on another planet but I mean not much is usable on the street and it is the most expensive out of these 3 cars.

But I want something comfortable for every day which won't break every other week. That is why reliability is very important to me. Also the service as well.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedsterr
Yea he freaked me out lol. I wouldn't dare have the ba**s to drive like that in my car.

But yea the performance of a turbo is on another planet but I mean not much is usable on the street and it is the most expensive out of these 3 cars.

But I want something comfortable for every day which won't break every other week. That is why reliability is very important to me. Also the service as well.
From a reliability standpoint i simply can't imagine an Astin being more reliable than a Porsche. No offence but sounds to me you are not up to the power least of all capability of the turbo. Nothing a bit of driver training cant sort out. Sure the street in certain ways can limit the full exploitation of a PT but a true turbo driver seeks to exploit wherever the opportunity presents. You can never have too much power imo. That's what good brakes are for . And I can't answer for AM but it would be a hard call to beat the service that Porsche delivers. As you mention $ as an issue then you may possibly need to reconsider even having the Porsche 991tt in your equation. I think once you drive a 991tt you will be in a far better position to make an educated decision on which is the best way forward. And I think that 991tt test drive would worry the crap out of any Astin car salesman .

Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
ok so lets change the comparison from a regular turbo with an aston martin vantage S.

Which is more reliable? And which is more DD friendly? I am assuming maintenance cost are the same for both.
This is a no brainer. Of course the porsche is the more reliable of the two and easily faster. And based on the other relative qualities of the two cars I would not even consider purchasing the aston, unless you are British, in which case the aston may stir different emotions for you. And no, you don't need to be german to want a porsche. It's just a good brand.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by aamersa
This is a no brainer.
Gotta agree. With all due respect to OP and i'm sure he is a great guy but I don't even know why OP is even discussing these brands/cars in the same sentence without at least driving the cars in question. Quite frankly one test drive of the turbo would have him sticking his middle finger up at the Astin salesman. And viper....enough already....I'm going to bed.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the porsche is faster but I drove the vantage S and it was pretty damn quick, especially in the corners. The dealer manager scared the sh** out of me when he drove me around some curves with that car. He used to race.

How is the quality compared to both cars? Interior wise the vantage is obviously far better. But how is the paint on the porsche? To my knowledge the turbo is assembled by robots and not by hand like an aston and the paint is not buffed on a porsche like it is on the aston, is this correct?
For me, 991 is more DD friendly because it is more comfortable. Not knowing 911 turbo/S but it should be close to c2/c4 in term of drive comforts. I can never find a perfect sitting/driving position in a vantage. The sloping hood of 991 provides a much better visibility/control especially when parking. In term of quality/reliability, you are comparing a low volume production from a small company vs robotic precision. It all depends on the feel you are going for. You do feel special in an Aston Martin because of the brand.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mdc
You do feel special in an Aston Martin because of the brand.
James Bond does .

Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
James Bond does .
. I am sure he does, but he does not look at the car closely and see all those swirl marks from the factory because he is too busy killing bad guys. If he drives it in bumper to bumper traffic with its SportShift... He will go back to BMW. Or maybe he is a stick shift guy?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:35 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
I've driven the Vantage S, and even my 991 C2S is a better car, let alone the Turbo. The problem with the Aston, as while it looks better, you can instantly tell Porsche has put more money and development into their cars. It's a night and day difference how more performance refined the Porsche is compared to the Aston. The Vantage is clearly a generation behind the 991. My 2 cents, although my reputation is in the dumps for GTR bashing.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mdc
. I am sure he does, but he does not look at the car closely and see all those swirl marks from the factory because he is too busy killing bad guys. If he drives it in bumper to bumper traffic with its SportShift... He will go back to BMW. Or maybe he is a stick shift guy?
I'm sure even James between the killings and ******** pondered over his vodka martini those swirl marks are nasty. Maybe thats why he crashes the car into anything without so much as a second thought. If Astin loses Bond they may well be in trouble. Fall back position....get a smooth talking car salesman, take the punters out on scary rides and they won't notice the dodgy sport shift and paint swirls.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:49 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Personally I'd take the 40hp, the special trim, S chrono, ceramics amongst all the other standard extras all day long. Sure it's more money but the car will hold resale better than a standard car thats been optioned up. We all know money spent on options is never recovered. The S moniker holds the superior cred and is the quicker. Not saying a standard turbo isn't a great car, just that the S is the better car hence "wiser" choice if money isn't an issue. I'm sure the butt dyno can feel the extra torque and hp too.
The reason Porsche is launching the two simultaneously for the first time is they fully expect a higher take rate on the S (just like the C2S vs. C2), and the margins are going to be higher for that car. Resale on both will be terrible, so that really shouldn't factor much into the equation. If you're going to track any more than once or twice a year, the S w/ the CL and PCCBs would be a mistake. Also, in this price range, the money diff is rarely an issue, most TT buyers can afford an S without much issue. My optioned out TT w/ SC, PDCC, LED is around 168, the TT-S 188, that's 20k for CL/PCCB and 40 hp/tq, which I would likely spring for if it was a 100% road car. Now, what they should have offered was a TT-S track pack for 10k less w/o CL/PCCB, but why would they do that when they are marketing those two options FOR the track (hence no 5 lug even for the GT3?). Ah, Porsche... lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it worth to get a turbo s over a turbo?