Turbo S or McLaren?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Turbo S or McLaren?

I was at Newport Auto Center asking for an allotment for a turbo S build last week and found out I can't order until January as they are all taken. I've been struggling with buying a 2012 McLaren as they are about the same price and most have less than 2,500 miles on them that are for sale.

What are your thoughts on comparing the 2 and which would you prefer? The McLaren dealership here says most of their buyers are Porsche guys; not many Ferrari guys like the McLaren.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
mclaren in a heart beat.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speedsterr
mclaren in a heart beat.
Seems to be the consensus. There are alot of die hard Porsche guys on here, myself included so thought it was a good topic. ;-)

Old 10-09-2013, 03:50 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Look at it purely from a value point of view. You are getting a 300k car for 190k. But with the Porsche u r getting a 190k for 190k

Old 10-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Which I don't agree even that the turbo S should be priced that high. It's getting in dangerous territory

Old 10-09-2013, 03:55 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
For the same money, there is no question in my mind, get the McLaren.

The Turbo S is a beauty, it is fast and has exceptional handling. but for $200K it is not as special as the McLaren. 99% of people will just see another 911, while the McLaren is a standout. IMO I think Porsche has priced themselves out of the reasonable market with the new TT and TTS approaching $200K. Depreciation on these cars is going to be steeper than what we saw with the 997 Turbos

Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
12C without a doubt.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Dlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the rough
Hands down, without a shadow of doubt I will take the 991 TTS every time & any time over the Mclaren. Cheers.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:36 AM
Built to Blast
Thanks for your responses. I think it may be fate that there was no allotments for the 991 turbo S. I did talk to a salesman at OC Lamborghini who admitted that the McLaren was a finer performing car than the Aventador. So yes the MP4 is an amazing machine.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 AM
Dlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the rough
GFORCED: "Considered by many automotive enthusiasts to be the purest sports car ever made, the 911 has been a gold standard in sports car design since the 1960s. So much so that design changes have come with great care. In fact, the car's overall profile, including the rear engine, has changed little over the years and has stayed as the flagship of the German brand's line-up."
Well, I would consider a 458 or wait for the Lambo Gallardo replacement due in Q1/2014 possibly Geneva Motor Show.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 AM
peskander is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GFORCED
I was at Newport Auto Center asking for an allotment for a turbo S build last week and found out I can't order until January as they are all taken. I've been struggling with buying a 2012 McLaren as they are about the same price and most have less than 2,500 miles on them that are for sale.

What are your thoughts on comparing the 2 and which would you prefer? The McLaren dealership here says most of their buyers are Porsche guys; not many Ferrari guys like the McLaren.

Thanks for your responses.
Mclaren

Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
I previously had the 997tt and loved that car, so much so that I put my money down on a 991tts as soon as deposits were being taken. My car is due to be delivered in Dec 2013, but in the meantime I bought a Mclaren. Once my TTS arrives I will have to make the very hard choice of whether to part ways with the Mac or the TTS. My original intention was to sell the Mac once my Porsche arrives but as the days go by its becoming a harder decision to make.

The Mac is a great car and I don't see how the 991 will be better in terms of handling or ride quality (having driven the 991S and 9914S). Having looked at the performance numbers of the 991TTS I don't see it outperforming the Mac on that front either.

On the flip side, the Mac has sooo much power on tap that its not always usable on the streets here in Dubai, so a slight downgrade may not be all that noticeable. Where I find the main difference in favour of the porsche is everyday usability. Whilst the Mac can easily be used as a daily driver, it still has that supercar feel to it. Whereas you can pop in and out of a porsche and drive it on city streets like you would a normal VW golf, the Mac does sometimes scrape its front end and its dual clutch isn't as "auto" like from idle as a porsche's (it has a gradual clutch kick in feel). Getting in and out of the dihedral doors is also not the most practical and can be a pain for people that have back problems. The porsche also benefits from more creature comforts and the extra space at the back incase you need to take your kids (or extra luggage) with you on a ride. Although I used to use my porsche as a DD, I dont do so with my mac so I am able to ignore some of those issues.

Maintenance cost on the porsche is also much cheaper than the Mac.

I havent yet made up my mind about what I will do, but my Mac is growing on me more and more and it will be a tough choice to make in 2 months time.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Built to Blast
Thanks Dubai TT for that super informative post. Ok, now I'm stumped again! LOL

Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by GFORCED
Thanks Dubai TT for that super informative post. Ok, now I'm stumped again! LOL
It all comes down on how you intend to use the car. More practical DD = 991TT. More of a weekend car to feel special in and blast off from the competition = Mac. Both are amazing cars, each with its unique edge over the other. You wont go wrong with either choice.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:57 AM
SaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really nice
my vote goes to Mclaren

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo S or McLaren?