Unsure between Turbo and Turbo S - Ordered Turbo - Still have time to swap to Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:37 AM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
Unsure between Turbo and Turbo S - Ordered Turbo - Still have time to swap to Turbo S

Having sold the Carrera Cabriolet recently I wanted to order a 911 Turbo Cabriolet. However my dealer doesn't have allocation will March production. Thats means May delivery. That's just too late to buy a Cabriolet as the hot summer months go on from May to October.

So I decided settle for a coupe. I really want the Turbo S and I can buy one but what I cannot justify to myself is that it's depreciation will not suit my track record (my track record is that when I order/dream a car I think I will keep it forever but I do end up selling it within one year or so).

On the other hand, I am trying to convince myself that Porsche only launched the turbo S the same time as turbo so as to divert many buyers from the turbo. Hence, I should not fall prey to their marketing and stick with a turbo - which is still special enough! Furthermore, I can buy another smaller car like a slightly used Mini, Wrangler or another unusual car with the price difference.

The feeling that I really cannot get rid of regarding the S is the thought of the rims, PDCC, PCCB (mainly for the yellow calipers and lack of brake dust - not the performance as I never track).

Anyone else sitting on the fence?

How did you decide and what did you finalize ultimately?

I have placed deposit on a turbo but can still change it to S...

Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Interesting philosophical argument. Its kinda like the Super Size at McDonalds...why not, you're already buying! I think its useful to rationalize what do you need that the S is offering that the turbo is not? Do you need more HP and ceramics for commuting? Most of the options you can add to your turbo anyway. For me, its the power boost that is so attractive that Porsche charges about $1,000 per HP for on the S and most models that make us want to spend more. The other side of the coin in the new turbo will be faster than about anything out there so how quickly do you need to accelerate?

I'm bouncing between a used McLaren and the S because the prices are so close. And I don't have to wait to purchase a used McLaren, my dealer is across the street from my office and they have a couple upgraded 2012's for 209K. My S build came in just over 190K with a 4 month wait. So, I understand the dilemma, but have no answers. ;-)

Old 11-20-2013, 12:49 PM
TC M3 has a spectacular aura aboutTC M3 has a spectacular aura about
If you are getting a plain Turbo get the regular one . If you are going to do basic options in my opinion like LED lights , center lock wheels and sport chrono get the TT S.

I had the same dilemma . I had ordered a turbo and after 2 weeks changed the order . My turbo S arrives in 4 weeks and no regrets

Old 11-20-2013, 01:02 PM
PAULG is just really nicePAULG is just really nicePAULG is just really nicePAULG is just really nicePAULG is just really nice
Take the Turbo S because with some extra you get cloce from turbo to turbo s .
And you will sell it more eazy when the time comes...

Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
For those very reasons you have, I would do Turbo S. It probably help me sleep better at night too. haha

Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 PM
TestnDoc is on a distinguished road
Get the S!!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Snorman will become famous soon enoughSnorman will become famous soon enough
I'm ordering this week and have been on the fence about the same thing. I configured both a base and "S" on the Porsche website and the delta was ~$23k, but I'll probably pull a few things out of the base car bringing it down another ~$4k. The other possibility I've been considering is a base turbo with Burmeister and Sport Chrono and heated/vented seats and that's it. Need to decide by tomorrow or Friday, lol.
S.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:41 PM
TC M3 has a spectacular aura aboutTC M3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fkim011
For those very reasons you have, I would do Turbo S. It probably help me sleep better at night too. haha
Exactly!

Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
If I'm playing your money... 'S'.

I hate regretting car purchases. If you get the best options available, there will be less second-guessing (at least for me).

Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
Went with non s coupe, didn't want center locks and PCCB. Sticker was 158K. They all drop like a stone depreciation wise first year or so. Not sure I could detect a difference in the HP from the S.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 PM
brobbins016 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 03LX470
So I decided settle for a coupe. I really want the Turbo S and I can buy one but what I cannot justify to myself is that it's depreciation will not suit my track record (my track record is that when I order/dream a car I think I will keep it forever but I do end up selling it within one year or so).

The feeling that I really cannot get rid of regarding the S is the thought of the rims, PDCC, PCCB (mainly for the yellow calipers and lack of brake dust - not the performance as I never track).

Available today...

Turbo S, New, Agate Gray, Black, Burmeister, will make you a deal.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 PM
brobbins016 is on a distinguished road

Available today...

Turbo S, New, Agate Gray, Black, Burmeister, will make you a deal. Call me 608.258.4028

Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 PM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
Today I sold my ZR1 and now the decision comes to whether its an S or regular. I mulled over it for two months at least and in the end I'm going with an S. By the time I built the turbo it was barely 25k off the price of the S and it still didn't have the ceramic brakes. If you have ever had ceramic brakes you'll more than appreciate how clean the wheels stay. That in itself was enough for me to make up my mind. Now its what color interior goes best with Black.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
If I'm playing your money... 'S'.

I hate regretting car purchases. If you get the best options available, there will be less second-guessing (at least for me).
What he said!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Having sold the Carrera Cabriolet recently I wanted to order a 911 Turbo Cabriolet. However my dealer doesn't have allocation will March production. Thats means May delivery. That's just too late to buy a Cabriolet as the hot summer months go on from May to October.

So I decided settle for a coupe.

This is one of many portions of your post that I find hard to comprehend .
If you want one car (turbo Cab) but order another (base Turbo coupe) while still being unsure of a third (the S coupe) its sounds like you are very uncertain . It's my opinion that an expensive car purchase ought to have no doubts . I feel its better to buy no car at all than to buy the wrong car .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unsure between Turbo and Turbo S - Ordered Turbo - Still have time to swap to Turbo S