Tested PSP and non-PSP cars today and I'm still confused!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Fixinbones will become famous soon enoughFixinbones will become famous soon enough
Tested PSP and non-PSP cars today and I'm still confused!!!

Just placed my 991TT order with PSP last week. I was not planning to get it but my dealer said it was a nice option to have. After placing my order I decided to do some research on it. It seems that there is a complete disagreement regarding this option. There were those who loved it, those who thought it did nothing, and those who thought the steering was over boosted with a Lexus like feel. All of these conflicting opinions promoted me to go test a car with and without it.

Both cars were C2Ss. I tested the non-PSP car first. Steering at parking lot speeds was firm but not overly so. It felt well, Porsche like, and reminded me of my old 997 targa4S but a bit lighter.

The PSP car is definitely quite a bit lighter during parking lot maneuvering which I kind of liked. However the PSP doesn't deactivate until 30mph. While playing with the wheel I did notice the PSP transition to normal steering feel at 30mph which was a bit weird. It's very abrupt but you probably wouldn't notice it unless you were in the middle of a turn or playing around with the wheel like I was. In addition, it almost felt as if the PSP car had slightly lighter steering at all speeds compared to the non-PSP car. I know this doesn't sound possible as it should be inactive above 30mph. I'm really thinking about removing it from my build but I'm still a bit on the fence. I think it would be a much better option if it was only active at parking lot speeds of say 10mph or less.

A couple of questions. First, I tested the PSP in a C2S but mine will be a Turbo. Can anyone tell me if the steering effort in the AWD cars is higher than the 2 wheel drive cars especially at slow speeds? Second, is the steering in general lighter on the 991s compared to the 997s? Anybody care to chime in? Thanks

I think I'm gonna head back to the dealer next week to drive a TT PSP car that just came in.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Steering effort is no higher in my TT c/w my C2S, neither had PSP. I do think the steering is a bit lighter w/ the 991 in general c/w my 997 C4S. I wouldn't get PSP, I can't stand the overboosted low speed steering in my S6, and the non PSP cars are still very easy to steer.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Overdraft is on a distinguished road
I am with AJag...I would remove it and bring your wife or GF for a nice celebratory drive and dinner when the car arrives with the money you saved.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:03 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
I have it on my turbo s and I like it. Overall I like the handling more than my prior turbo(997 & 996). No regrets on having it on the car at all.In all honesty, I didn't really notice it before unless I was concentrating on it and watching the speedo. When I'm driving the car now I don't notice it. I notice it handles extremely well.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
Go without it. You will be much happier. Way more feel. Better Porsche experience. I have it on a panamera. Hate it.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 PM
991TT is on a distinguished road
i have it and i love it

Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 AM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
I suppose if you are a very slight person with no arm muscles this could be a viable option.

I wonder why they even have it as an option, maybe they should also option out a chauffeur with it too.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM
991TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zedosix
I suppose if you are a very slight person with no arm muscles this could be a viable option.

I wonder why they even have it as an option, maybe they should also option out a chauffeur with it too.

this is called technology .. human can make use of it ..

as well as the new steering it self the thing from a to z is electrical so the so called feed back is gone

no one need to measure its arm strength

Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
I have it and love it. On the street and track it is just fine.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
fastmd is on a distinguished road
I have it and like it. It's great for my wife to park it in my garage. I have a lot of cars/toys and there is always my race trailer/big truck etc. in my driveway and it makes it effortless to maneuver it tight spaces. You don't feel it at speed.