Compatibility of multifunction steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 PM
keith27 will become famous soon enough
Compatibility of multifunction steering wheel

Does anyone know that if I were to spec my Turbo S to have the current multifunction steering wheel (heated and in carbon fiber) would I be able to swap it out for the Macan/918 MFS? Is that one also heated? I want to order my car soon but don't want to wait for the facelift (which at this point is looking like MY 16 or possibly even 17 if I had to venture a guess).

Thanks,
Keith

Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 AM
JonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura about
You need a sport design wheel with paddles. Those gear change buttons on the multi-function are extremely annoying! Plus the CF has been known to turn yellowish if kept in sun/heat for long periods.

Re: the "next" generation wheel, you need to ask your dealer if it is possible. I don't see why it shouldn't be, but they may say its not possible (Porsche are very picky with what they allow).

Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 AM
jlee504 is on a distinguished road
I had inquired about converting my multifunction wheel back to a sport design wheel. And the dealer told me it would be at least $5-$8000 due to be electronical module and rewiring needed.

Jeff

Old 05-07-2014, 05:11 AM
JonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jlee504
I had inquired about converting my multifunction wheel back to a sport design wheel. And the dealer told me it would be at least $5-$8000 due to be electronical module and rewiring needed.

Jeff
No chance! Daylight robbery. Check the price of the wheel on your online configurator.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 AM
keith27 will become famous soon enough
Yikes!!! Yeah I'm not a big fan of the current MFS and would consider speccing it if I could easily swap it for the new MFS.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:59 AM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jlee504

Jeff
That seems unusually high. A member on rennlist had his swapped from the MF to the SD by the dealer as part of an off the lot purchase at no charge. I don't think the dealer would have eaten 5-8k on the sale.

- Patrick

Old 12-26-2014, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by JonnybravoM3

No chance! Daylight robbery. Check the price of the wheel on your online configurator.
+1 totally agree it is daylight robbery. I did mine I just paid for labor they swapped my wheel with another car.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Macan MFS Wheel Will Not Work for TTS

Originally Posted by keith27
Yikes!!! Yeah I'm not a big fan of the current MFS and would consider speccing it if I could easily swap it for the new MFS.
I was told by two dealerships the new multi-function wheel with the paddle shifters as installed in the Macan will not fit the 991 Turbo models due to air bag wiring incompatibility.

The solution is to install Tech-Art paddle shifters with your current steering wheel. It is still pricey at $1500 but you can spec paddle styles to match your wheel.

The 991 Turbo/S mfs wheel is great for daily driving because it allows for extremely efficient navigation of so many controls/screens on the car. I would have ordered te sport wheel, but I am so glad my car came with the mfs wheel.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:02 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
I like the sport wheel. I have MF on the RR , the Cayenne and formerly the m5 which are OK but the sport wheel is great and I have gotten completely used to the little stick. The MF wheels are to thick. Keep in mind, this is still a sports car and if we start talking about MF wheels over here we look even less like real sports car owners to the GT3 guys. You think a Mclaren or Ferarri has a MF wheel?

Old 12-26-2014, 11:20 AM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
You can switch the MF wheel for the sport wheel, but you cannot switch the Sport wheel for the MF wheel. I was just told this by my Porsche Serice Rep. I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:31 AM
jlee504 is on a distinguished road
Ok 6 months later and it's colder I like my multifunction wheel. I have a sport wheel on the GT3 and I actually miss the functionality on the wheel. What I really want is a heated wheel now. I'm going to call suncoast and see what it costs to switch.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wrs
I like the sport wheel. I have MF on the RR , the Cayenne and formerly the m5 which are OK but the sport wheel is great and I have gotten completely used to the little stick. The MF wheels are to thick. Keep in mind, this is still a sports car and if we start talking about MF wheels over here we look even less like real sports car owners to the GT3 guys. You think a Mclaren or Ferarri has a MF wheel?
The Ferrari wheels are all MFS! Albeit for the sake of sport.

The 991 Turbo S still whips the sh#$ out of all of them regardless of steering wheel and the MFS wheel thickness is the same as the SD wheel.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:42 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Carjunky1
The Ferrari wheels are all MFS! Albeit for the sake of sport.
Well damn then I won't be buying a Ferrari! How lame.

Originally Posted by Carjunky1
The 991 Turbo S still whips the sh#$ out of all of them regardless of steering wheel and the MFS wheel thickness is the same as the SD wheel.
Agreed, I would rather have the 991tts. With regard to thickness though, on the M5 it's much thicker and I think on the RR too but I just went and checked the Cayenne and it seems close to the same but not sure it isn't a little thicker.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:31 PM
If the wheel fits...

Originally Posted by wrs
Well damn then I won't be buying a Ferrari! How lame.

Agreed, I would rather have the 991tts. With regard to thickness though, on the M5 it's much thicker and I think on the RR too but I just went and checked the Cayenne and it seems close to the same but not sure it isn't a little thicker.
...you definitely got the right car my friend! BTW thanks for posting your mods because I appreciate it and I will refer this information in the future when I do some performance mods.