911 Turbo S vs luxury full sized sedans/coupes.I need some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:18 AM
theFraggedNoobian is on a distinguished road
911 Turbo S vs luxury full sized sedans/coupes.I need some help

Hello everyone this is my first post here and I was thinking about which car I should buy.I live in Seattle,WA.So,basically,I want to know if the Porche 911 Turbo S can be driven safely during the winters here(maybe 1 month of heavy snowing here).If not,then I can choose other cars,like the M6 Grand Coupe,BMW 760Li,Mercedes S63/65 AMG or Audi A8/S8/R8.I know those cars are sooooo different and that is why I put up this list.Because of the diversity of their features.I will buy the car through leasing and plan to keep it many years from now on.So,what do you think?What matters to me is the interior(as well as the exterior,but all cars listed here look gorgeous)and the acceleration times,engine,consumption and exclusive features.If you can,rank those cars in a top 8 list.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:31 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
The difference is huge. The Porsche is a sports car, the others are fast luxury cars that can seat at least 4 people and carry plenty of luggage. You can carry one other person with you in the Porsche but not on a trip. If you take a trip in the Porsche, it will be by yourself. I am on the fence if I want to keep my f10 M5 but my wife has a Turbo S Cayenne so we have the road trip vehicle there. I like my M5 and I modded it for speed but the driving difference is night and day. That car feels like a boat compared to the Porsche and the 750 feels like a boat compared to the M5. I wouldn't do the M6 unless you don't want a four passenger car and in that case, the Porsche is your choice, but more expensive.

The 991 TTS is in a class by itself. I think it's on the edge of being a super car albeit underpowered that can be driven on a daily basis. I am planning on modding mine to improve the high end power so it's more super carish. I love it but I have only owned it a month and the bloom isn't off the rose yet.

Last edited by wrs; 09-24-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Yes that is what I thought also.I want to get this car as a daily driver not for holiday trips.How does the interior in the TTS compare to the other luxury cars (S65 AMG and Audi S8)?Porsche is my no 1 option right now but I wanted to look into other cars and not rush.How is the Porsche during the winter?

Old 09-24-2014, 10:55 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
I had an M6 - meh pass

Old 09-24-2014, 11:05 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
The Turbo will be great in the winter. All wheel drive; just add winter tires. As for seating, I've done many trips with kids in the back seats in my various 911s. No problem. Four adults? That's a different story and I generally only do that for shorter trips, such as across town.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 AM
How is the infotainment system on 911 TTS ? And how much do you think I will spend on the yearly cost of actually owning the car (oil, tires, repairs if needed,gas-6000 miles per year, ......)?Those would be my last questions about the car.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM
DaveChapin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by theFraggedNoobian
Hello everyone this is my first post here and I was thinking about which car I should buy.I live in Seattle,WA.So,basically,I want to know if the Porche 911 Turbo S can be driven safely during the winters here(maybe 1 month of heavy snowing here).If not,then I can choose other cars,like the M6 Grand Coupe,BMW 760Li,Mercedes S63/65 AMG or Audi A8/S8/R8.
Coming from a 650, I thought long and hard about a 2014 M6 so I'll give my 2 cents. Problem for me was that I already thought the 650 felt big; and the new 6 series platform grew even larger. I was ready for something more nimble.

I find a full out leather interior like you get standard with the TTS, quite nice especially if you customize it with a few extra leather bits and some deviated stitching. BUT it is not the equal of the new interiors of the M6. BMW interiors for the most part aren't that great; but they nailed it with the 6 series. The TTS has creature comforts but not to the extreme of the 6 series. But that makes sense. One is a luxo GT, the other is a car that with a flick of switch becomes a hard HARD core sports car.

Be sure to test drive though. The ride on a 911 is going to be far rougher than any of the cars you mentioned (even in its most compliant non-sports mode). I found the transition a bit disconcerting at first. You ride lower, you hear tire noise more, you hear debris kicked up by your tires into the wheel wells more, but most of all you really feel the bumps more. You need to make sure you are going to be OK with that.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DaveChapin

Be sure to test drive though. The ride on a 911 is going to be far rougher than any of the cars you mentioned (even in its most compliant non-sports mode). I found the transition a bit disconcerting at first. You ride lower, you hear tire noise more, you hear debris kicked up by your tires into the wheel wells more, but most of all you really feel the bumps more. You need to make sure you are going to be OK with that.
Exactly what I love about the 911!! You know you are in a Porsche.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:08 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by theFraggedNoobian
Yes that is what I thought also.I want to get this car as a daily driver not for holiday trips.How does the interior in the TTS compare to the other luxury cars (S65 AMG and Audi S8)?Porsche is my no 1 option right now but I wanted to look into other cars and not rush.How is the Porsche during the winter?
The interior is nice, not super luxurious but it's way better than the spartan look from even a few years ago. The seats are very comfortable and adjustable with ventilation and heating, actually seat ventilation might be an option but it's not expensive. It's a full leather interior which is a good thing in a car that expensive, not all the super cars have that. I had a guy who owns a F12 M6 ride in the car on Sunday and he loved the seats.

The dials are excellent, the steering wheel is outstanding even though it's not multi function. There is a dial that can be used for everything and is controlled from a stick on the steering column. Your hands never leave the wheel and your eyes can mainly remain on the road. Even though there isn't a HUD, the digital speed is displayed inside the tach at the bottom. Driving the car in manual mode is a blast using the paddles if you have an AM exhaust. I have FVD and the pops, blasts and burbles are tons of fun. The backup camera is weak and there is no top view but the car is small enough that it's not necessary. I have Burmester and it's an excellent sound system. If you store your music on the jukebox, you get the highest fidelity the system can offer and it sounds very good. I think you would like the car as a daily driver, I know I do. The biggest drawback is that it won't carry much.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 PM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
A comparison of the 991TT or TTS to the cars in the OP's question is very difficult. Ultimately the choice is purely subjective.

I will use my A8 woth winter wheels/tires for trips that may involve serious snowfall. I will replace the A8 with an S8, as it outperforms the sedans mentioned by the OP in every respect by objective metrics of performance. The interior of the TTS is very easy to live with and, yes luxurious. The Burmester is quite good, although muted by the car's other fabulous sounds. I will use a set of TTS wheels and winter tires from mid-Nov to March so I can drive through the winter. It is a very comfortable touring car for my gf, my large dog and me. I've put 3500 miles on my '15 TTS since mid-July delivery touring through NE and the frunk is surprising accomodative. The seats are amazingly supportive and the seat ventilation in the warmer weather is very effective. With PDCC off the ride is surprisingly compliant. Bone stock, it is a worthy track car. Up to legal speed limits it will accelerate faster than all but a few true supercars and its acceleration from 0-60 (launch control is in another dimension) or from 40 to 65 is likely to embarrass all but the Veron, 918 and perhaps the new Lambo. The PDK is intuitive and the car selects the right gear, so I use the paddles for downshifts only if entering a clear exit or entry ramp. Even with Michelin PS tires it will give up time in corners to GT3's, but on even short straights the turbo thrust will keep the GT3 and 458 folks on their toes on the track. "There is no substitute" is not just a marketing slogan. If one thinks it overpriced then wait for a deal on a used TT or TTS, but then one will inevitably compromise on the many options available on an ordered car.

I'd say that the OP has a very high class dilemma.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the great answer! 911 TTS here I come.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Interesting first post. I also recommend AWD. But if you need decent rear seats, you have more choices with the sedans.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 AM
I do not need rear seats.I have an Escalade for that and holiday trips.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Is there any salary or money deposit value to buy the TTS ? I will go to the Porsche showroom next Monday and that is why I ask now.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Botox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura about
991 turbo is extremely comfortable, every bit as my RS7. Seats are amazing, very similar to panamera/cayenne. 991 cabin is a little more spacious than 997, stereo/nav is top notch. 991 has a GT sort of feel, yet the suspension is so well tuned from factory that it is comfortable yet still supreme handling. It amazes me that it is faster than the 997 GT3 4.0 around the ring. This is first 911 that I feel I would love to drive coast to coast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 Turbo S vs luxury full sized sedans/coupes.I need some help