Completed ECU Campaigns and......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:54 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
Completed ECU Campaigns and......

I just finished having my turbo s(it's a launch car) "updated" by my dealer. It had 5 open campaigns related to the ECU! Took over 3 hours to complete. I was told to wait on flashing my ECU by GIAC until after this service and I'm glad I did. I'm pretty sure it would have erased the GIAC flash. One thing I noticed right away was a sound difference in my exhaust. I actually waited around a week to post about it to make sure of what I was hearing. The exhaust isn't as loud overall, specifically driving the car in "pure auto mode." The exhaust no longer has the burps it did when I use to goose the throttle then lay off. If I do hear the burps in that situation it's about 75% quieter. The exhaust still is loud /burps and sounds outstanding when shifting manually at higher RPM's. Anyone else experienced this after getting the updates done?

Another thought I had was I wonder how this might effect the flash from GIAC. Meaning I wonder if these updates on the ECU done by Porsche could have made enough changes in the ECU to have a negative effect on the GIAC flash. Did it change enough to hurt the hp/tq gains by doing the GIAC flash? Has any tuner took the ECU off a turbo s after the updates? Or flashed the car after then put it on a dyno to see if the performance numbers are still gained? I'm guessing the GIAC flash hasn't been changed since its release but Porsche has released ECU updates after that. From my reading I understand the ECU is very complicated and that's why I have to wonder if a slight change in the code could throw everything off. I'm sure GIAC would update the flash if necessary but I'm wondering if the stage 2 we've been reading about is also being done to address this. I'm a diehard supporter of GIAC and have always used them for full disclosure.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:30 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
I just had the open campaigns done a couple weeks ago, launch car here also, and one of them was not the ECU, but the sound symposer, and was a hose that can become disconnected. Could your experience with the exhaust be from the correction of this, perhaps?

I am getting ready to have an exhaust installed, followed by the GIAC tune, and I am not worried about losing any hp from the corrections they made. You might as well expect to not have 560 horsepower after the ECU campaigns, but that probably didn't happen either. And none of the campaigns had to do with HP parameters anyways, at least I don't think they did. One was the symposer, another was display graphics, another was the rear wheel steering.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 10-12-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:51 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
Interesting. My service advisor said all my campaigns were related to the ECU, none related to any parts/checking of hoses. Also I know one of the ECU updates was for a fix on the service now light incorrectly coming on. BTW that happened in my car twice, had to get it reset each time. Hopefully the campaign fixed that annoyance. I did reach out to multiple tuners on the east coast and was told, as of last week, that no one had looked at the ECU of a turbo s after the campaigns to see if any significant changes were made. I was told that a turbo was going to be looked at shortly as it just finished doing the campaigns.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:40 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
I will try to dig out my paperwork from the campaigns and list exactly what they did, but I'm fairly certain none had to do with anything r/t engine power. You started a thread about campaigns and a GIAC Tune earlier.......you didn't get your answers there from Tom and Austin?

Old 10-12-2014, 10:12 PM
OK......here are the campaigns I had done, straight off the service receipt:

1. WE 02 Re-program instrument cluster
2. WE 11 Replace vacuum line sound symposer
3. WE 14 Rear axle steering adjuster
4. WE 18 Re-program PDCC control unit
5. WE 53 Re-program DME control unit

Number 5 is the ECU, but if it eliminated the GIAC Tune, I believe you get a handheld programmer with the Tune and your stock program in it. And if you need service, you reprogram to stock specs if you don't want them to see, then reflash after you get the car back. If they do reprogram the ECU to stock, then you just reflash it again.

I believe the above is correct.

I do not like the stock exhaust sound, so my first move is to replace that, and it will complement the GIAC Tune if I do that.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 10-12-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 PM
I have a excellent relationship with Champions Motorsport so I'm not concerned at all about, if a upgrade comes out being "stuck"/etc. They've been working on my cars for years. The person I spoke with at Motorsport talked completely off record as a friend so I wouldn't post that online. As for Austin he said GIAC always has the latest software when they work on a flash. But, unless they're constantly updating the flash, I can't see how they could take into account new updates done by Porsche. With all the threads lately on piggybacks/etc the one thing I learned is how complex the ECU is. Which, in turn, made me wonder how small changes in the ECU,done by Porsche, could effect a "flashed" ECU. Not to mention, after doing these campaigns I'm sure my Tubi exhaust sound changed. Now could it just be from the stock ECU adjusting itself to the Tubi or from the campaign? I don't have a clue so I was just interested to see if anyone who has an aftermarket exhaust, did the campaign and heard a difference in it.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Well, I suppose prior to getting a GIAC Tune, I will run this TSB WE53 past Austin and see what he says about it. I looked on the web for any particulars, but could not find any specifics about exactly what parameters were reprogrammed.

I would guess that if Porsche had a TSB affecting the ECU which affects a Tune, then if the Tune needs updating, GIAC would take care of it, and you'd run it by where you got your tune, and they would update you.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 10-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Hey guys...

None of those TSB campaigns were performance related so there's really no need to worry. Even if they were, it would not be drastic enough to effect the output of the GIAC flash. It would simply mean that we create a difference base file from the factory programming, but that's simple stuff and doesn't negatively effect anything at all. As it stands right now, even brand new, the Turbo and Turbo S already have several difference base files, so adding one more is no biggie at all.

If for some reason your GIAC flash ever gets written over be the dealer during one of these update campaigns, all you have to do is come back to your GIAC dealer and they'll re-install the tune for you. Simple.