Review - 991TT Akapovic full system exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 04:38 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Review - 991TT Akapovic full system exhaust

So I wanted to be the Money (RL member) of the 991 Turbo world so I thought I would keep trying new exhausts. (a little humor, not really). I had the opportunity to try out a Akrapovic slip-on exhaust with link pipes.

First let's get the pronunciation correct. Even back when I had them on my motorcycle I was not saying it correctly.

It is - Ah-crop-o-vich or at least for me that is how I visualized it. Now that we have that correct, move on.

Here is their website.
https://www.akrapovic.com/#!/car/pro...=744&phaseId=1

I chose the slip-on with the catless link pipes. It comes with the delete so you do not get a CEL. After some great work by GI Motorsports the exhaust was installed. I have been able to now put on a little over 200 miles on the car since install. I also did this in two stages. First stage was stock cats with just the slip-on and then the slip-on with the link pipes was stage 2.

Install shots
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	438176

Name:	E1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	771.9 KB
ID:	438177

Name:	E2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	775.5 KB
ID:	438178

Name:	E3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	783.5 KB
ID:	438179

Name:	E5.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	667.9 KB
ID:	438180

Name:	E7.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	537.7 KB
ID:	438181

Stage 1

I won't spend time on this stage for one reason, just go all in. With just the slip-on it doesn't change the sound or tone all that much. This choice for me would only be a looks and weight savings option. I wish I knew the exact weight savings but I have not weighed the stock exhaust. The website claims a 26.7 lbs (12 KG) savings (complete system) and I would say lifting all the parts this would be correct. The sound in stage one is maybe a little higher pitch at start up and then settles down similar to stock. We did listen to mine and a stock 991 TTS at the same time and you could tell a slight difference in pitch.

Stage 2

If I had to use one word to describe the whole bundle it would be - EPIC!

Let me start by describing what I want out of an exhaust.
  1. Looks - very important and based on my first exhaust I thought I only wanted quad tips. Hence this was not my first choice.
  2. Sound - It has to pass with the wife. Wife mode (non-sport/sport +) must be great. As close to stock as possible. The TT is a touring car hence you need to be able to cruise. When Sport + is turned on then I want "exotic", burbles, pops etc.
  3. Performance - always when spending this kind of dough you want added performace at least on the butt dyno.

So how did it do.

Looks - you be the judge. Personally I think it looks AWESOME. Subtle yet you know that it is not stock. The CF housing is incredible in both looks and construction. The chrome ring, awesome it cleans up nice when you get the old exhaust char.
Name:  9V5A2268.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  35.7 KB
Name:  9V5A2269.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  29.7 KB
Name:  9V5A2276.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  36.2 KB
Name:  9V5A2277.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  36.4 KB
Name:  9V5A2283.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  33.8 KB

Sound - This is where I started using words like epic, amazing, exotic, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and so on.

Wife mode - no sport or sport+ - Cold start up is a touch louder than stock. Maybe a little more than a touch. It is deeper. More of a deeper bass sound and feel. It is nice and not obnoxious so those early morning C&C are no problem for the neighbors. Once it is warm it comes back down to a very similar to stock idle. While driving in this mode it is very calm and subdued. You could drive all day long and not even know you have a custom exhaust. It is certainly louder than stock but not much and I think the tone makes it so perfect that you don't notice it. THERE IS ZERO DRONE. I guess I didn't really know what drone was until I got this exhaust. This has ZERO.

Sport/Sport+ mode - There is only really a little bit of difference (between sport and +) here but it is really based off RPM not so much the mode. In Sport+ you are just hitting higher RPM so the sound changes. In this mode it totally changes the car and sound. It is very "exotic" sounding. I think this exhaust gets a Turbo car (which is not easy to do) sounding the most like an NA or Italian sports car sound. On heavy acceleration it is just hard, maybe the word would be raw. It is so awesome that the first time it gave me goosebumps. It truly is the sound that this car should have ALL THE TIME. It is by far the best part of the exhaust hands down. The sound is just amazing as you are climbing up through the gears. Lastly on Decel I REALLY like this exhaust. It has plenty of burbles and deep pops but no cracking which I do not like.

Here is WARM start up and idle. Only done on an iphone so not sure how representative it is.
start up.mov
Here is starting in wife mode, I quickly hit the Sport+ and you can hear the difference and then up to 7K
rev.mov

Performance - Quite frankly this was the biggest surprise. My butt dyno went crazy when driving this on my favorite on ramp that I can really compare things. I don't claim to know true HP or don't really care to debate. I can just say this and in all fairness it may be due to no cats or the link pipes but this car is for no better word "snappier" with this exhaust. I had a mechanic tell me that with this exhaust (or just no cats) that the turbo's spool faster. What does that mean to me? Out of the hole the throttle response is quicker, snappier, faster etc.

At the end of the day my summary is this. I LOVE THIS EXHAUST. I know there are many to choose from and for me this hits on everything that I want in an exhaust. From the unboxing and holding a true lightweight piece of art to the fit and finish you could just see the quality. Then have it installed and driving it around was just incredible. I hope I have done this justice with my descriptions but it truly is awesome.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
What do you think in comparison to the BBi you had? Is it louder, higher pitched, less drone, etc? Is it worth twice the $$$$?

Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Visceral
What do you think in comparison to the BBi you had? Is it louder, higher pitched, less drone, etc? Is it worth twice the $$$$?
You have a PM

Old 01-24-2016, 02:53 PM
justthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud of
Thanks for such a thorough review

Old 01-24-2016, 04:38 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Nice to see the rear reflectors painted - good job.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:13 PM
Thanks all.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
The Akrapovic 991tt system is nothing short of beautiful, and sounds the part. We installed two systems last week, both with HFC, and the sound was nothing short of amazing. The popping/burbling is my personal favorite part.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond repute
Looking good! I'm glad you love the exhaust!

Old 01-31-2016, 02:09 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Looks Amazing! I'm going to be getting into a 991 Turbo soon going to buy this exhaust and of course HRE's. The guys at HRE are a class act.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:50 AM
porschespeedjunky is a jewel in the roughporschespeedjunky is a jewel in the roughporschespeedjunky is a jewel in the roughporschespeedjunky is a jewel in the rough
I think this will be my first mod after your awesome review.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by yumaverick
Looks Amazing! I'm going to be getting into a 991 Turbo soon going to buy this exhaust and of course HRE's. The guys at HRE are a class act.
Great choices there. Top notch manufacturers of quality Porsche stuff. Can't wait to see pics.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by porschespeedjunky
I think this will be my first mod after your awesome review.
You truly will not be disappointed. It is so hard to explain in words but this system is simply amazing, another level. Congrats on the car.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:24 PM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations!

Cheers,

Old 02-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Banned
PertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
You truly will not be disappointed. It is so hard to explain in words but this system is simply amazing, another level. Congrats on the car.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh doggy!!! I'm glad you joined the Akra team!! Now I can give you the password to the secret clubhouse.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 AM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
exhaust sounds good but will it pass emissions without the cats?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.