New ECU in the .2 Turbo S going to be hard to crack ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 12:45 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT
Honestly? Pretty much nothing more than out of pocket $$$$. They never have either. Do you remember back in the days of carbs, where if you added say, an intake and exhaust and didn't rejet / re-tune, you'd have nothing more than $$$ noise? Well, nothing much has changed, despite aftermarket manufacturer's claims of huge gains with intakes etc...

Bottom line, no tune = no increase, and likely a decrease in performance and cash, IMO.
Correct. If you put bolt ons on our cars the ECU will adapt and in the case of free flow exhaust, nullify any temporary power gains. Indeed Europipe's website says exactly that.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey bud, McGriddles for sure . I mean ECU tuning firms.
In all fairness, having had a history with them, you know that GIAC also purchases in-house vehicles and invests just as much time and energy into product development as any other tuner. It would be a bit unfair to imply that they don't. Do they have a 991 Turbo development car right now? Maybe not....but why do they need one when we (Champion) have 2? In the past they have had many other Porsche development cars, but since we've owned a 2014 Turbo, a 2014 Turbo S, and currently a 2015 Turbo S, and 2016 Turbo S, it would seem a bit redundant for them to buy another one, don't you think? That's why our partnership works so well.

Recently, they currently own a Macan S as well as several other vehicles from the VW/Audi/Porsche family...each of which gets tested, developed, and tuned with various hardware upgrades, in-house, before software is released. Just because we don't see it at the moment on these forums, doesn't mean it's not happening with other cars.

In fact, over the past few years, particularly since the release of the DFI models in 2010, I don't know anyone that's invested, researched, or shared as much about the current platforms as we have. From our PDK research in 2010/2011 to our fuel system research in 2011, we've shared every bit of knowledge we've obtained about these platforms with the public, except in rare cases where we needed to protect some proprietary. A LOT of that information went hand in hand with discoveries we made during software development, none of which would have been possible without GIAC.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not taking anything away from Cobb's achievements or investments in the Porsche market in the past 2 years, as it's clearly evident that they're dedicated to Porsche tuning and to their customers. A lot of their recent performance benchmarks clearly show that. Knowing what it takes to get there, I have a lot of respect for what they have accomplished and for them as individuals and as a company. Like I've said before, all I ask for is that same respect in return for us and our partners.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:23 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Have any 6 Speeders had 991TT/S warranty work claims rejected because a tune was found either still installed or uninstalled, but still appearing on the "flash counter"?

THX

Old 03-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cheers. If you notice I never singled any one out. Nor would I like to measure. Only spoke about my tuning tool/solution of choice and their in-house work as well as partnerships. I have always had respect for GIAC's capabilities. Also answering to a few comments that were obviously not you mate.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
To Cobb's credit, they are the only tuner I know that continues to purchase vehicles, upgrade them with hardware and tune them in house
Cheers. If you notice I never singled any one out. Nor would I like to measure.
You kinda did...but you know I heart you anyway.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I will take that my friend. You know me and that I am passionate. Generally quiet like yourself. But at times I get excited about great stuff and responsive about not so great stuff. Competition is good and I am all about it. In fact we can all become forged and better from it making everyone benefit. Options are great and a well informed public is important. Rogue outside comments sometimes also create waves. I just am glad and hope you and I can still smooth out those waves.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:41 PM
918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute
Sam, You are correct and I have a great relationship with my local dealer. However, I understand the piece of mind behind the written warranty that Champion/GIAC provides to their customers. Having the paper is more powerful then a hope especially if you have to buy a new engine. I have personally came a loooong way since I purchased the turbo S and know, thru research, that the internals are so strong that it isn't even a concern to me. I know you have to pay to play and where I'm going, my friendly dealer won't be able to support me if something goes wrong. So far, so good and I will keep pushing the envelope and will share my experience with fellow enthusiasts who will be able to make a calculated decision going forward on upgrades.
I look forward to getting the car back and running very low 9's and the possibility of an 8 sec 991. Thanks again for your suburb support and flexibility.

Jeff

Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 918 Spyder
Sam, You are correct and I have a great relationship with my local dealer. However, I understand the piece of mind behind the written warranty that Champion/GIAC provides to their customers. Having the paper is more powerful then a hope especially if you have to buy a new engine. I have personally came a loooong way since I purchased the turbo S and know, thru research, that the internals are so strong that it isn't even a concern to me. I know you have to pay to play and where I'm going, my friendly dealer won't be able to support me if something goes wrong. So far, so good and I will keep pushing the envelope and will share my experience with fellow enthusiasts who will be able to make a calculated decision going forward on upgrades.
I look forward to getting the car back and running very low 9's and the possibility of an 8 sec 991. Thanks again for your suburb support and flexibility.

Jeff
All of us can't wait to see where your car goes Jeff.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor
Cheers Jeff. We will be pushing things on yours for sure but that is the idea! It's going to be awesome. Fuel upgrade ready for testing as well. I will post on that in a new thread.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:40 PM
White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !
Cheers Jeff. We will be pushing things on yours for sure but that is the idea! It's going to be awesome. Fuel upgrade ready for testing as well. I will post on that in a new thread.
That thing sure is pretty! Pretty sure gonna push Jeff into Alpha territory.