Winter tires which one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 01:49 PM
steven1 will become famous soon enoughsteven1 will become famous soon enough
Winter tires which one?

Hey guys I am looking to pick up a set of winter tires for my 2017 991.2 Turbo and wanted to see your opinions on which I should get. I am looking at the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 or the Pirelli Winter Scottozero Serie II. Any help you can give me on which is better would be appreciated, or if there are any better options for me to look at.
Thanks Steven

Old 11-20-2017, 05:40 PM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
Nokian R2

Old 11-21-2017, 12:10 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
The Alpin is a great cold weather tire. I really like them. I didn’t buy them for snow really though - mostly for cold.

Nokians are great snow tires. I’ve had them in other cars. Check the speed rating.

No experience with the Pirellis. Locally people prefer the Alpins.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Did you have to buy new wheels for the winter tires? I spoke to tirerack and they said the wheels in the back are bigger and have to buy new wheels. here is what the website shows

Important Notes Rear: 295/30-20 is only approved for winter use, requires 20X 10" to 11" wheel. Will not mount on OE 20X11.5" wheel! Match with 245/35-20 front fitment

Originally Posted by _ace_
The Alpin is a great cold weather tire. I really like them. I didn’t buy them for snow really though - mostly for cold.

Nokians are great snow tires. I’ve had them in other cars. Check the speed rating.

No experience with the Pirellis. Locally people prefer the Alpins.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
You can mount them, Porsche doesn’t recommend it and issued a TSB or something like that but at least ten in my area have run those 295s on 11.5” rims. I ran them on my 11.5” wheels for the first few months.

This summer I bought a wheel set with 11” rears for long term winter tire use. I found the “flow forged” cast wheels to be a good compromise between cost and weight. They run about $2500-3000 for a set of rims and have a weight similar to or less than stock wheels. With the tires at $2000 a set it’s not too bad.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:01 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Are you looking to drive in snow or more in cold weather (i.e. after roads are generally cleared)? I think your options will be different based on this.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:04 PM
a little bit of both, can you tell me both options what you would recommend?

Originally Posted by s14roller
Are you looking to drive in snow or more in cold weather (i.e. after roads are generally cleared)? I think your options will be different based on this.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:52 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by steven1
a little bit of both, can you tell me both options what you would recommend?
If you don't plan on driving through snow storms then I'd stick with more of a performance winter like you mentioned, PA4/Sottozero 3. The Sottozero 3 I think tests a little better, although I generally think Michelin makes a better tire.

For hardcore snow, I went with the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with a performance winter as 95% of the time I drive the snow is already mostly cleared. I have yet to need to drive out during a snow storm and even if I did, I'm confident the performance winters will do the trick. Many years ago I made the stupid call of driving out while it was a hardcore snowstorm in my RWD M3 on Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires, it drove confidently and I had no issues.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
I only use Nokian SUV8 studded Haakapppellitta (ya spelled wrong no doubt) but not sure if they size for the turbo

Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 PM
r11rs will become famous soon enough
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

Old 11-22-2017, 05:43 PM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, the Nokians do have many tire sizes.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:06 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
As a previous Canadian resident and Tire dealer stay away from SottoZeros, terrible cold weather flexibility, terrible on ice, terrible ride, expensive.

Nokian R2's , WS80's, PA4 Alpins in that order

Old 11-27-2017, 05:32 AM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Had sotto zeros on a Panamera. No complaints other than a harsher ride which made me think these were run flats, but they were not. Cornering was amazing though.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:16 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I had Sottozero Serie II winter tires on my 997 Turbo, and they were fine. No complaints. I have Pilot Alpin PA4 winter tires on my 991 Turbo S, and I prefer them to the Pirellis. They are quieter, they have a better ride, and they handle better.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Just bought a set of the PA4's and having the dealer install them now. lets see...... thanks for all the helpful feedback
Steven

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.