Dilemma - 991.1 Turbo S or 991.2 Turbo Non-S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:39 AM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
Dilemma - 991.1 Turbo S or 991.2 Turbo Non-S

I was originally locked on getting a 991.1 Turbo S but as more 991.2 used cars are hitting the market, it is possible to get a 991.2 Non-S for about the same price as the 991.1 Turbo S. I know the key differences in base equipment but wondering if there's any advise to help me decide from people that have driven both. I will track the car a few times a year so not a fan of PCCB and will likely switch to regular rotors if I get the Turbo S. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2018, 12:01 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Easy .2. It has the better tech and steering wheel. A simple tune gets the HP up to the S.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 PM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
Thanks - by the way, I am thinking that the only MUST have on a 991.2 non-S would be PDCC. Any other?

Old 02-03-2018, 12:30 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by muker
Thanks - by the way, I am thinking that the only MUST have on a 991.2 non-S would be PDCC. Any other?
No not at all. For road and light track, Porsche's non-PDCC is fine and less expensive to maintain. If no track, definitely don't get PDCC

Old 02-03-2018, 07:34 AM
I would be doing some track

Originally Posted by mark12345
No not at all. For road and light track, Porsche's non-PDCC is fine and less expensive to maintain. If no track, definitely don't get PDCC
I usually go to the track 4-5 days a year. That’s why I think PDCC would be a must. On the other hand, I know that PCCB is a very expensive idea for heavy track use. This car would be my daily driver. Makes sense to keep pdcc as a must?

Old 02-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
the .2 without question.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:44 AM
any more explanation on why?

Originally Posted by Fkim011
the .2 without question.
Let me know your thinking.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I like the subtle updates to both the interior and exterior on the 991.2. With the updates it won't look as dated when the new redesign comes out about 1.5 years away.

Also, I think the .1's and .2's drive differently. The .2's seem to have even less lag then the .1 and the updated software in the .2 helps that.

The thing I love about the Turbo S in general is the utilization of the 4 wheel steer. If you never had it, you won't miss it. But if you owned one with it, it really does change things.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Isn’t rear axle steering standard on both s and non-s turbos?

Originally Posted by Fkim011
The thing I love about the Turbo S in general is the utilization of the 4 wheel steer. If you never had it, you won't miss it. But if you owned one with it, it really does change things.
from the brochure, I understand both have it. Your point about the car looking newer is a good one. It is a subtle difference but the 991.2 definitely looks newer.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:13 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Go with the .2.

You won't know what you're missing without the PCCBs. And the PCM upgrade is worth it itself.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:19 PM
I’m leaning to the 991.2 non-S....

Originally Posted by shifter_
Go with the .2.

You won't know what you're missing without the PCCBs. And the PCM upgrade is worth it itself.
Since I will take the car to the tracks few times a year I actually prefer the regular brakes. If I somehow ended up with a turbo S, I would still be putting steel rotors anyway....

Old 02-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Got some new stuff to share with you and a gent to introduce you to D!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:54 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
Antilag on the .2 is really nice. The stock .2TT and .1TTS acceleration is about equivalent. For the same money the .2TT is the one with the updates so that’s what I’d go for.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:33 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I had a 2017 C4S before I got my 2015 Turbo S.

I thought about doing the same as CPO'd Turbo S inventory is pretty scarce right now. I spent some time in the .2 Turbo cars to see if it was really something I wanted to do.

Here's my thoughts:

- initially, the .2 is a no brainer. New navigation, and the new steering wheel alone make a pretty big difference. The steering wheel is something you touch every single time you operate the car and the .2 steering wheel is undoutably nicer, especially if you get a multi function. Feels nicer in the hand, although does block some of the outer gauges.

- the newer PCM is definitely better. You gotta decide how much this matters to you. It doesn't sound any better (although the bluetooth streaming sounds way better, PCM in the .1 must use a crappier A2DP profile or something) and it doesn't actually do much differently except for Carplay, etc. I never end up using the built in navigation and the newer PCM's maps aren't that great looking if you're coming out of a modern BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc. (we have a 2017 MB e300 that is world's better).

- The last thing to consider and it is what made the difference to me - a used .2 is probably $145-$160k depending on options, and a new one is even more. The base non-turbo has a lot further to fall depreciation-wise. If you look at the .1, where there is even less difference (the .1 Turbo and Turbo S use the same hardware just different tunes, where the .2 Turbo uses smaller turbos than the .2 Turbo S)... there may be even more resale differences with the .2. This could be offset somewhat by reduced Turbo/Turbo S production, though.

But, if you look at .1, the Turbo is probably 7-10% cheaper than a same miles same option Turbo S. This is a pretty significant delta, considering the .1 Turbo S in CPO can be had for ~$120k - for a reasonable mileage out of factory warranty into CPO 2014, to $145k (15-16 with 1-2 years of factory warranty + CPO). If you are going to keep the car more than 5 years, then the deltas will largely go away, when the cars come out of warranty but for those like me who like factory warranties, a .1 CPO is the way to go.

The steering wheel can be swapped, but the .1 wheel isn't bad. And PCM, while a big difference if you look at it, made very little difference in the way I actually use the car since I use my phone for nav. (I use Google Maps or Waze most of the time, and CarPlay doesn't support them) There might be a bigger difference if you are an Android user.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 AM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
There are plenty more differences within the .1 -> .2 models.

- updated head design with revised intake ports
- larger fuel injectors
- higher-volume fuel system w/higher pressure
- more efficient intercoolers
- updated turbos
- *.2 S gets larger turbos, if you mod this may be key.
- anti-lag has been improved
- chassis has been improved
- steering was improved for feel
- slightly different look - it is *not* identical body-wise
- some updated engine components
- updated PDK (tougher valving etc., common upgrade for .1)
- different wheel design, which I prefer, slightly wider too on Turbo
- revised headlights
- new intake & intake deck design
- slightly lowered
- slightly better fuel milage from above
- PSM Sport Mode is more sporty than .1 in terms of wheel slip
- PDCC standard on S model now
- front axle lift available now
- radar-based lane change warning available

This is in addition to aforementioned PCM updates. The nav is considerably better as is the media station. It supports "apps" etc. Many have said the car is more connected to the road and overall more enjoyable to drive than the .1 car as delivered standard. Of course, opinions vary and so do degrees. For me, the 918 steering wheel and Crono wheel are no small addition.

Not much more to add, but I did a pile of research before buying my car and like an idiot, I found a 991.2 barely used ... the rest is history.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dilemma - 991.1 Turbo S or 991.2 Turbo Non-S