997 to 991 Consideration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:43 AM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
997 to 991 Consideration

Hi All,

First post here. As I'm sure a decent amount of you 991 owners are, I'm currently a 997.1 Turbo owner and looking to potentially sell mine to get into a 991 Turbo.

I am just starting my research and had these general questions:

1. Why did you upgrade from a 997 to a 991?
2. Did you get a Turbo S or a Turbo? Why did you choose the one you chose?
3. Are there certain years that are "better" vs others. For example, what I do know is the 2017 model has larger turbos thus having a bump in power

I will be looking a year down the line most likely but like to do my research ahead of time.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:49 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
17 is the start of the 991.2, and besides the minor body changes, turbo, and many very minor tweaks you’d expect of a 911 mid cycle update, the nav is much improved and antilag (in sport plus only) is new.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:15 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
For me, I like having a car under warranty (probably one of the few on a mod board) and I wanted more HP and a PDK. I live in the NY Metro area, so manual is difficult.
2. Did you get a Turbo S or a Turbo? Why did you choose the one you chose? Turbo S. I wanted the S since I had a turbo last time. The ceramics are nice too.
3. Are there certain years that are "better" vs others. For example, what I do know is the 2017 model has larger turbos thus having a bump in power. Yes, a newer is often nicer, which is why I upgraded to a 991, but you can save a lot by purchasing a 991.1. The difference in HP is negligible (you can't tell 20 HP on a 500+ HP car) and who uses the car's NAV? I haven't used my car's NAV in literally years. I use WAZE or Google maps (if I click through from finding something on Google). I have my phone mounted to the right of the steering wheel and I use it for my Spotify and WAZE.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 02-18-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:47 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome, I recognize your handle from the 997 crew, I recently made the move from a 997.2 (PDK) to a 991.1 PDK, I hope this helps some:

3. Are there certain years that are "better" vs others. For example, what I do know is the 2017 model has larger turbos thus having a bump in power

1) I sold my 997.2 in November, best car I had ever owned . . . I just got to thinking how cars are changing and electric cars are so fast . . . who will want an ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) when Tesla's are just SOOO fast. Well, I survived just two months and I am back in a Turbo, I really did miss it and I expanded my search (WIDE) to include AM Rapide, a 458, other Porsches (GT3/GTS) and of course a Model S . . . And here I am, again. HaHa I thought the size of the 991 would bother me, it doesn't. My 997 was perfect, having a CPO car helps me sleep at night. My 997 interior was great . . . After having got into the 991, the 991 is greater-er . . . er I love the design of the doors and the carbon fiber is tasteful.

2) With a tune, the Turbo and Turbo S are "the same", I didn't want ceramics and I didn't want centerlocks, I got everything else and saved money

3) No comment on this one, I'm thrilled with my 2014, but I think it's more about how your car is optioned than a year. Yes, a 2017 is better, but a 991.1 is 95%+ of a 991.2 at a discount . . . And that's how I like to buy cars

Good luck with your search! I hope that helps! KH

Old 02-20-2018, 07:34 PM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
Originally Posted by khiroshima
Welcome, I recognize your handle from the 997 crew, I recently made the move from a 997.2 (PDK) to a 991.1 PDK, I hope this helps some:

1) I sold my 997.2 in November, best car I had ever owned . . . I just got to thinking how cars are changing and electric cars are so fast . . . who will want an ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) when Tesla's are just SOOO fast. Well, I survived just two months and I am back in a Turbo, I really did miss it and I expanded my search (WIDE) to include AM Rapide, a 458, other Porsches (GT3/GTS) and of course a Model S . . . And here I am, again. HaHa I thought the size of the 991 would bother me, it doesn't. My 997 was perfect, having a CPO car helps me sleep at night. My 997 interior was great . . . After having got into the 991, the 991 is greater-er . . . er I love the design of the doors and the carbon fiber is tasteful.

2) With a tune, the Turbo and Turbo S are "the same", I didn't want ceramics and I didn't want centerlocks, I got everything else and saved money

3) No comment on this one, I'm thrilled with my 2014, but I think it's more about how your car is optioned than a year. Yes, a 2017 is better, but a 991.1 is 95%+ of a 991.2 at a discount . . . And that's how I like to buy cars

Good luck with your search! I hope that helps! KH
Appreciate your response so much and yes we are local. If I recall, you sold your Turbo to Steven's Creek Porsche right?

Anyway, I'd love to catch up in person if you didn't mind so I could check out the car and maybe pick your brain about it. My parents actually live in Los Gatos off of Los Gatos Almeden. Would you be open to meeting this weekend to chat for 30 minutes or so?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I upgraded from a heavily optioned 997.1 Turbo to a 991.1 Turbo S. I occasionally miss the 6MT from the 997, but not often. The 991 is a better car in every way. I had PCCB on my 997 Turbo, and it was a “must have” option for my 991. I also love the centerlock wheels. These two things alone started me down the path towards a Turbo S, and I never looked back. I use the navigation system in my car frequently. The 991.2 system is better, but the 991.1 system works flawlessly. I have the “online services” option, so I can search for destinations using Google. The live traffic updating functionality is nice too. My car is a cabriolet, and the top in the 991 cars is a huge improvement over the 997 series. The electronically controlled wind screen is nice too.

I was happy with my 997 Turbo until I made the “mistake” of renting a 991 C4S cabriolet and driving it around Europe for a week (including Stelvio Pass). After that experience, I knew that I had to have a 991.

Last edited by Dennis C; 02-21-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM
Thank you all for your feedback. I've been doing some additional research and have been looking at prices between a 991.1 Turbo and Turbo S.

From the looks of it, it seems as though you can get a high optioned Turbo for the same price of a Turbo S (around $130K range), however I cannot seem to find a Turbo with PCCB. Is it also true that PDCC is standard on a Turbo S and an option for the Turbo? Out of the research I've done, everyone is saying the PDCC is a must have regardless of if you're daily driving it or tracking it.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:22 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HardHitter
Appreciate your response so much and yes we are local. If I recall, you sold your Turbo to Steven's Creek Porsche right?

Anyway, I'd love to catch up in person if you didn't mind so I could check out the car and maybe pick your brain about it. My parents actually live in Los Gatos off of Los Gatos Almeden. Would you be open to meeting this weekend to chat for 30 minutes or so?
Sold my 996T to Stevens Creek, my 997T went to SoCal Happy to meet up this weekend, the weather will be perfect - I also live off of LG Almaden-- KH

Old 02-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Qs997Turbo will become famous soon enough
I had my wife switch to the 991 for some of the same reasons as others have stated above:

1. Under Warranty
2. Improved performance: PDK, Direct Fuel Injection, and upgraded turbos
3. Improved interior and electronics
4. Picked the Turbo S: for the center lock wheels and ceramic brakes.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:55 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Thank you all for your feedback. I've been doing some additional research and have been looking at prices between a 991.1 Turbo and Turbo S.

From the looks of it, it seems as though you can get a high optioned Turbo for the same price of a Turbo S (around $130K range), however I cannot seem to find a Turbo with PCCB. Is it also true that PDCC is standard on a Turbo S and an option for the Turbo? Out of the research I've done, everyone is saying the PDCC is a must have regardless of if you're daily driving it or tracking it.
You’re correct on PCCB.

PDCC is nice too.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:00 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
PCCB is such an expensive add that anybody considering it goes with the S.
​​​​​​
PDCC is really not necessary unless you track or drive very spirited on curvy roads

Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 AM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
Hi All,

First post here. As I'm sure a decent amount of you 991 owners are, I'm currently a 997.1 Turbo owner and looking to potentially sell mine to get into a 991 Turbo.

I am just starting my research and had these general questions:

I will be looking a year down the line most likely but like to do my research ahead of time.
Same questions here?
Are any 997tt previous owner regret that he swaped to 991tt?

Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
The enormous difference between the 997TT and the 991TT is in integration and drivability.

Simply, the 997TT is a fair-weather sportscar tat really hauls *** in a straight line. The 991TT is an fully integrated daily driveable super-car.

I had stuck with a C6Z06 because of how compromised the 997TT felt. When I drove a 991TT, I ordered one right away. I just don't know where the compromises are for a street car.

All that said, I find myself driving a less capable, more compromised car often. Driving a 991TT fast on the road is a matter of your own personal limits (liability, moral, risk), not the car's. I need a different, manual transmission car (an old 993 for instance or an E90 M3) to challenge me on the road for those Sunday fast drives.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 PM
JL997991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Subscribed. Not trying to thread-jack but I am also in the market for a 911 Turbo (S). I am trying to decide if I should go straight into a 991.1, or get a heavily modified 1khp 997.The 997s that I am considering are both well respected builds, with threads showing each stage of the build process. I would like to know if these mods add to or detract from the car's original value. Because in all honesty I know that I eventually won't be satisfied with 600-700hp, and If I bought something lesser, I would just end up throwing money at it to make it faster... call it a curse or a disorder, but it's just what I do.
The 991 has me hooked, in literally every category, technology, comfort, style, low miles.... but there it is, the elephant in the room... the apparent power limitations of the DFI Engines. I don't see them heavily built up like the Mezgers are. Someone please correct me here, as I am brand new to Porsches, and I would love to have my cake and eat it too, in the form of a high HP 991.1. The second influence is regarding the abnormal depreciation levels of the 991.1 models. I'm guessing this has to do with 2014-2015 being produced in high volume, and also because they are only available as PDK? So historically, when do these cars tend to level out on the depreciation hit? Does availability of the current 991.2 with manual transmission affect the depreciation rate of the PDK .1?

How does a 997 Turbo fair, depreciation-wise? if anything, from my limited observations they seem to be going up in value. I'm just trying to weigh out the pros and cons here. Any valuable input you can add on the subject would be much appreciated . I might even consider a GT3, but my fear is I couldn't leave it stock.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
JL, I'm not tracking... there is no 991 Turbo manual, now or in the near future.

As for depreciation, the 991 Turbo S seemed to fall to $125k awhile ago and seems to sit there if its in reasonable condition.

Theres an enormous difference in how the 997.1 and 991.1 cars ride/drive/everything. Its really not apples to apples.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 to 991 Consideration