Front Wheel Fitment; Turbo, GT3 GT3RS???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 04:38 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Front Wheel Fitment; Turbo, GT3 GT3RS???

Hey fellas. I'm looking for wheels, new or used, for a centerlock Turbo S. I see advertisements for wheels that fit a Turbo, GT3, and GT3RS, but my questions is, isn't the front wheel fitment different for all three models? If i'm not mistaken, a 991 GT3 is narrow body, and Turbo and GT3RS is wide body but one is wider than the other up front? So essentially wheel companies are selling poor fitting wheels that sit too far in for the widebody folks? I'm trying to be as careful as possible to get proper fitment since you can't install spacers on a centerlock. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. -HTH

Last edited by Harry Da Hamster; 06-23-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:41 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Sweet, Sam! The thing i don't like about the "universal" wheel fitment for GT3, GT3RS, and Turbo is how far inset the front wheel is. I do like how the rear is flush though. I might have to consider a custom option from HRE or the same manufacturer as my old 997 Turbo, RSV.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Hey fellas. I'm looking for wheels, new or used, for a centerlock Turbo S. I see advertisements for wheels that fit a Turbo, GT3, and GT3RS, but my questions is, isn't the front wheel fitment different for all three models? If i'm not mistaken, a 991 GT3 is narrow body, and Turbo and GT3RS is wide body but one is wider than the other up front? So essentially wheel companies are selling poor fitting wheels that sit too far in for the widebody folks? I'm trying to be as careful as possible to get proper fitment since you can't install spacers on a centerlock. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. -HTH
Hey Harry,

The 991 Turbo and GT3 share the same wheel fitment range front & rear. The GT3RS is a bit wider up front but again, depending on the offsets of the wheel, it could work universally for all three.

We specialize in wheel fitments for all three cars as you can see from our extensive Porsche gallery - http://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/porsche/

If you need any help in choosing an HRE wheels model and would like to discuss fitments please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by WheelB
Hey Harry,

The 991 Turbo and GT3 share the same wheel fitment range front & rear. The GT3RS is a bit wider up front but again, depending on the offsets of the wheel, it could work universally for all three.

We specialize in wheel fitments for all three cars as you can see from our extensive Porsche gallery - http://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/porsche/

If you need any help in choosing an HRE wheels model and would like to discuss fitments please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
The black 991 Turbo S with GT3 wheels pictured above sorta disproves that, unless you like spending $10k+ on ill-fitting wheels. GT3 rear wheels protrude 9mm further out which is perfect to flush up with the rear fenders of a Turbo. But the GT3 front wheels retract 4mm further in which looks horrible up front.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
The black 991 Turbo S with GT3 wheels pictured above sorta disproves that, unless you like spending $10k+ on ill-fitting wheels. GT3 rear wheels protrude 9mm further out which is perfect to flush up with the rear fenders of a Turbo. But the GT3 front wheels retract 4mm further in which looks horrible up front.
I'll try my best to clear things up for you.

Every car has a range of offsets that can be used for the wheel fitment. Let's use the example below:

car A can use a rear wheel offset anywhere from ET 40 to ET 60 without rubbing on the inner wheel well or poking passed the fender.

car B can also use a rear offset anywhere from ET 40 to ET 60 without rubbing on the inner wheel well or poking passed the fender.

Let's assume Car A comes with a factory wheel offset of ET 40 while car B comes with a factory wheel offset of ET 60. If you put the wheel from car A onto car B then car B will suddenly have a wheel that is 20 mm's closer to the fender without rubbing or poking. If you put the wheel from car B onto car A then car A will have a wheel 20 mm more sunken in.

The fact that one wheel looks bad on one car but not the other isn't an indicator of the two cars having different fitments. It's an indicator that the factory wheels from the cars were built with different offsets.

If you build an aftermarket wheel with an aggressive offset (in this example ET 40 out of the 40-60 range) then the wheel will fit perfectly on both cars i.e. the 991 GT3 and 991 Turbo

PS - the majority of custom forged wheels are below $10k. HRE's 540 series for example can be had for as low as $1,100 per wheel

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:33 PM
I'll try my best to clear things up for you.

Every car has a range of offsets that can be used for the wheel fitment. Let's use the example below:

car A can use a rear wheel offset anywhere from ET 40 to ET 60 without rubbing on the inner wheel well or poking passed the fender.

car B can also use a rear offset anywhere from ET 40 to ET 60 without rubbing on the inner wheel well or poking passed the fender.

Let's assume Car A comes with a factory wheel offset of ET 40 while car B comes with a factory wheel offset of ET 60. If you put the wheel from car A onto car B then car B will suddenly have a wheel that is 20 mm's closer to the fender without rubbing or poking. If you put the wheel from car B onto car A then car A will have a wheel 20 mm more sunken in.

The fact that one wheel looks bad on one car but not the other isn't an indicator of the two cars having different fitments. It's an indicator that the factory wheels from the cars were built with different offsets.

If you build an aftermarket wheel with an aggressive offset (in this example ET 40 out of the 40-60 range) then the wheel will fit perfectly on both cars i.e. the 991 GT3 and 991 Turbo

PS - the majority of custom forged wheels are below $10k. HRE's 540 series for example can be had for as low as $1,100 per wheel
I get your point that it will fit a range of offsets but there's a point where you would have to turn a blind eye towards aesthetics and i'm pretty sure a majority of your well informed customers (not the yuppy check strokers) will not be ok with a wheel that sits too far inboard. Maybe i'm wrong, but if i'm spending thousands for a set of wheels, i'm not spending it on something that groups the Turbo and GT3 as the "same" fitment. It is not the same, and doesn't fit the exact same range of offsets, it just happens that a portion of the range from one fits within the parameters of the other.

Last edited by Harry Da Hamster; 07-06-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Site Sponsor
I get your point that it will fit a range of offsets but there's a point where you would have to turn a blind eye towards aesthetics and i'm pretty sure a majority of your well informed customers (not the yuppy check strokers) will not be ok with a wheel that sits too far inboard. Maybe i'm wrong, but if i'm spending thousands for a set of wheels, i'm not spending it on something that groups the Turbo and GT3 as the "same" fitment. It is not the same, and doesn't fit the exact same range of offsets, it just happens that a portion of the range from one fits within the parameters of the other.
The fitment dimensions for both are the same. Both are have been 3D scanned and are the same. We build the aftermarket wheels to sit perfectly flush. When we build a set of the 991 Turbo to sit perfectly flush you can take the wheels off the Turbo and it will sit perfectly flush with the GT3. Same thing happens if we build wheels for a GT3 to sit perfectly flush and we take it off and put it on the 991 Turbo. I can stress to you enough that the wheel fitment range for both is the same. The OEM wheel offsets from both is what differs.

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)

Old 07-09-2018, 07:08 PM
I can stress to you enough that the wheel fitment range for both is the same. The OEM wheel offsets from both is what differs.
Got it. I'll hit you up when i'm ready for a quote

Old 07-09-2018, 08:09 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
For what it's worth, when I build wheels, I usually go with a flush fit, less another 5-6 mm of offset to get a bit further out of the well.

This is particularly important to me when lowering, which begs for a more aggressive offset, due to the top of the wheel siting a bit more tucked in after lowering.

Any good wheel builder will be able to give you a custom offset to your taste.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 AM
skilly2000 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey bud. GT3RS
We have done it and it’s glorious! Here you go and I’m just saying that picture shows Jeremy‘s car in the same exact spot in your car is currently resting in ...
Hey there - all three wheels were discussed as options and then I see this gorgeous picture of a TTS with upgraded wheels.

You mention GT3RS in your response, but can you confirm, is this the 20 9.5J wheel in the front and the 21 12J in the rear? In other words is this the stock GT3RS wheel package?? I have a set of GT3 wheels mounted on my TTS 991 and while the back looks perfect, the fronts with that 4mm offset change just dont look right. The room on the inside to the strut is tight, so its 'iffy' to consider the GT3RS wheel package without knowing from someone whose done it if there are rubbing issues.

Is this the what looks like the holy grail, GT3RS swap out??

Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Gixxerboy63 has much to be proud ofGixxerboy63 has much to be proud ofGixxerboy63 has much to be proud ofGixxerboy63 has much to be proud ofGixxerboy63 has much to be proud ofGixxerboy63 has much to be proud ofGixxerboy63 has much to be proud ofGixxerboy63 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by skilly2000
Hey there - all three wheels were discussed as options and then I see this gorgeous picture of a TTS with upgraded wheels.

You mention GT3RS in your response, but can you confirm, is this the 20 9.5J wheel in the front and the 21 12J in the rear? In other words is this the stock GT3RS wheel package?? I have a set of GT3 wheels mounted on my TTS 991 and while the back looks perfect, the fronts with that 4mm offset change just dont look right. The room on the inside to the strut is tight, so its 'iffy' to consider the GT3RS wheel package without knowing from someone whose done it if there are rubbing issues.

Is this the what looks like the holy grail, GT3RS swap out??
Maybe so?
...I'm still waiting on SamboTT@bydesign to chime in to confirm either GT3 wheel set, GT3 RS or a combination of the two?

Turbo front 8.5x20 et51
GT3 front: 9x20 et55
GT3 RS front:9.5x20 et50

*According to offset calculations, the RS front wheel offers 1mm less clearance on the strut side while extending an extra 11mm more than the GT3 front wheel

Turbo rear 11.5x20 et56
GT3 rear: 12x20 et47
RS rear: 12.5x21 et48

*RS Rear has 7mm less clearance on the strut side, while extending an 5mm more than GT3 rear wheel.

*The most important thing to consider in this equation is the ratio between the front and rear. Stock variance is 0.45" front to rear

If you want to use GT3 RS 20/21 combination, you can use 255/35/20 front and 325/25/21 rear to remain within the 1% delta.

Last edited by Gixxerboy63; 10-30-2019 at 05:37 PM.