My new 991.2 Turbo-Driving impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 07:42 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
My new 991.2 Turbo-Driving impressions

I'm still obviously in the break-in phase- only 273 miles on her so far. Now my white GTS was nicknamed "Heidi", because wherever I went, mostly men would give me the thumbs up and treat the car basically like Heidi Klum. Ha.

This one is a different story. So far I've gotten lots of compliments on the graphite blue metallic as well as the Sport Tex and silver stitching, which to me looks like a GT silver color.

First off, the PDCC and Burmester options on this car are fantastic. The Burm is easily 30-40% better than the Bose. And the PDCC adds stability to make the capability of the car just crazy.

Already, I've had more enjoyable rides in this than most of the other 911's I've had, save maybe the GTS. I love the AWD system. The car feels rock solid and the beauty is that with winter tires, this thing will be a beast all winter long.

My car is equipped with the Michelins so I'm excited to see how they react after they wear in a bit. The brakes are just now starting to bite after wearing in a little. 2000 mile break-in is a ways off!

You can break this car loose, even in AWD, around corners, so it does have some personality...love the rear axle steering too.
The sound: I think the induction noise in sport mode is actually perfect, and the engine has that familiar 3.8 DI sound...I don't want to change the exhaust in this thing at all.
I've only seen the boost gauge up to about 7-8 psig so far, so this thing has crazy capability. Gonna be an awesome ride.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1682.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	529043  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 PM
swoobie is on a distinguished road
Cheers and enjoy. Really like the graphite blue.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM
hcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to behold
Sweet looking car, best of luck

Old 07-22-2018, 04:15 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
There's a few things about this car that I really didn't expect. I love the ground clearance, actually, roughly the same as a Carrera S or normal GTS. I haven't really gotten much into the Active Aero on the car, mostly low-speed driving so far, but it's nice not having to worry coming up driveways and steeper slopes, and the like.

The sound: in normal mode the sound is non-intrusive, calm, and lets the Burmester shine. When you go to Sport mode though, you get that permanent induction noise and a louder exhaust, with some burble on downshifts, etc. Haven't been to Sport + yet but I would think the sound is similar to Sport.

Suspension: I've read with the 991.1 TT that the suspension was pretty soft. This had to have changed on the 991.2 because in Sport mode, even without the PASM button activated, the ride is plenty stiff, pretty similar to my old 991.1 GTS. It's every bit as firm, but with the PDCC and the added mass of the car, it feels more solid to me actually. I think Porsche created a bigger spread between comfort and sport with the 991.2 versions.

Burmester: I'm in heaven with this thing. Even with Sirius/XM, the quality is awesome in Live or Surround mode, Bass at +2 and Treble at +5. It's a great system. To me the exhaust of the car and the Burm work great together.

PDK: the shift times are quicker than 991.1, even in normal mode. In Sport it's fantastic.

5-lug standard wheels: I really battled on these vs. Centerlocks, and I'm really happy with the standard rims, they look fantastic with the dark grey finish on the spokes. Much easier for winter as well.

No complaints with this car, it's an absolute beast!

Old 07-30-2018, 09:32 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
I suspect you'll love the antilag in S+ - enjoy!

Old 08-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful car, enjoy. I know you are set on not changing the exhaust, but you should hear some of the aftermarket exhausts on these cars, it really wakes them up!

Manuel

Old 08-04-2018, 09:31 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Add a Europipe Exhaust...

Thank me later!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:13 AM
I'll have to think about exhaust, maybe next year- there's so many out there. Fabspeed, Akropovic, Europipe, Tubi, etc.

Really what I'm trying to take care of this summer is all the wrapping, waxing, removing some of the little swirl marks that come from likely washing a car and then shipping it across the country. I'm there, finally...

Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Congrats - love the Graphite Blue! Gorgeous.

When the time comes and you're ready to uncork her, check out our Supersport X-Pipe.

You'll pick up +25whp/30ft-lbs along with transforming the exhaust note from the mundane factory sound to an aggressive and exciting growl, deserving of the Porsche Turbo name

Old 08-11-2018, 07:10 AM
That does sound positively naughty- I've had good luck with you guys in the past on a previous 997S (love the quality) and so maybe next year if budget permits!
Thanks-

Old 08-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chance6
That does sound positively naughty- I've had good luck with you guys in the past on a previous 997S (love the quality) and so maybe next year if budget permits!
Thanks-
Thanks for the kudos! Keep me posted, I'm always happy to hook up fellow 6Speeders

Old 08-14-2018, 03:56 PM
C-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Thanks for the kudos! Keep me posted, I'm always happy to hook up fellow 6Speeders
I am interested.

Here are my concerns:

1. The most important factor to me is drone. I do a fair amount of highway driving and I don't want drone messing up my Burmester sound.
2. I want to hear it when I really get on it not when I am driving 35mph in my neighborhood. I think that cheapens the car and is obnoxious.

Porsche's PSE gets it right. It is the perfect balance between great engine roar and not too loud

Old 08-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by C-MAN67
I am interested.

Here are my concerns:

1. The most important factor to me is drone. I do a fair amount of highway driving and I don't want drone messing up my Burmester sound.
2. I want to hear it when I really get on it not when I am driving 35mph in my neighborhood. I think that cheapens the car and is obnoxious.

Porsche's PSE gets it right. It is the perfect balance between great engine roar and not too loud
Ultimately, drone is very subjective.

What I can tell you from first-hand experience in both a 991.1 and 991.2 Turbo S was that there was very little drone with our Supersport X-Pipe (I drove cars with both Sport Cats and Catbypass.) We also offer a valved version if you want a true mild-to-wild setup.

The nice thing about turbo cars is that the turbos will act as mufflers so the tone is still very reasonable but definitely uncorked a bit with our X-Pipe and definitely sings when you get on it. You'll free up approx +25whp/30ft-lbs as well.

Feel free to give me a shout with any other questions!