Order delayed, desicions, desicions...!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Order delayed, Last chance to modify my order

Hi all, Since my order was delayed for 30 more days dealer told me I have a few more days to add/delete some options, please any opinions/advice will be appreciated.

1. White vs Platinum silver
2. Carrera S wheels vs Carrera Classic wheels
3. Sport seats plus and 5mm Spacers, are they worth?

Thanks

Last edited by galion; 12-20-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:49 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
1. White vs Platinum silver

WHITE is the new black. SILVER looks to plain for my taste...

2. Carrera S wheels vs Carrera Classic wheels

TurboII OR go with standard wheels and upgrade them later to aftermarket.

3. Sport seats plus vs regular sport seats

I have sport seats and to me they look more appealing but regular maybe more comfortable depending on your size.

Which one do you prefer.
4. Spacers, are they worth?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch - what is holding up your car? Were they specific?

My thoughts. None of us have seen the 991 yet (in the US for the most part - unless you were at the LA show). I ordered the 5mm spacers. I've seen them on Panamera's and they are noticeable. They beef it up in a subtle way - That being said there are aftermarket spacers of 5/7/12mm which you can do in 2 hours one afternoon with a floor jack and a beer. The cost is closer to $250.

I chose the Classic radial 10-spoke wheel because 90% of the time Porsche used that wheel on their show cars. Also they used platinum a lot. So I ordered plat/espresso. You can't go wrong with white or platinum - I just thought the espresso blended better with the platinum - and I was going for that retro look of the silver/brown and silver/red 356 era p-car The wheels help that effect a little. More spokes always look more vintage classic. Less spokes with revealed calipers always looks more contemporary - personal preference.

The seat issue was a big one for me because I am 6-3" 210 with wider shoulders. I was concerned that I wouldn't fit in the "plus 18-way" seats due to the ear bolsters near the top. I don't fit well in the GT2/3 buckets. But I sat in the "plus" seats in a 2011 C4s and they were great - I prefer them over the 14-way "non-plus".

Last edited by EricP; 12-20-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
1. Definitely platinum silver. White and black are a bit boring, plus it seems you already have a white cayenne.
2. On a base model go with the standard wheels.
3. You won't enjoy getting in and out of sport seat plus, get the standard sport seats.

I still have no idea what spacers are? Can any one show me a picture?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:29 AM
pratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nice
White is good when it new. No matter how you keep, it will turn yellowish sooner or later. If you just keep for 2-3 years than go for the white since you like it. I love the whie, however, I end up order my with Platinum silver.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Mythbusting.

White doesn't change hue and yellow as it gets older. Modern paints are flooded with UV blocking chemicals. It's a non-issue.

Sport seats PLUS are actually no harder to get in and out of. I tested this with 2 cars side by side. Sport buckets are a whole other issue - and unavailable as an option anyway.

4 pics: A 1979 911 with original white paint. Wheel spacers, and Sport seats PLUS - note the ear bolsters up high by the shoulders of the seat. Not radically different - they just hug you higher. And a 991 in Carrera White - not quite sure it's boring. So creamy.

Attached Images     

Last edited by EricP; 12-21-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Wheel spacer picture attached:

They are certainly subtle and 5mm is the smallest they make out there. I've actually seen a hooptie with 20mm spacers and it looked exactly like you'd expect - like a lowrider - wheels bulging out from under the car. But Porsche only offers 5mm because it's tastefully done. Why isn't it done on every car? because it flushes the tire edge with the fender wall and rock chips can become an issue.

Attached Images  

Last edited by EricP; 12-21-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Great explanation, thanks!

I will order the spacers and the sport seat plus, my only concern is that I don't like the silver plastic seat back cover in those.

I am debating with the idea of a White, Black interior, sport seat + , red seat belts, spacers and Carrera classic wheels, ahhh sporty!!.

My original choice was Silver, black interior, carrera classic wheels, definetely classier than the white one.

Last edited by galion; 12-21-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM
My argument for the silver/gray plastic seat backs is that most of the interior bits are aluminum by default. The sliver/gray seat backs match all those bits (and the design steering wheel) and I also got silver/gray seat belts. (my interior will be espresso) Just something to think about. I intentionally chose NOT to cover them in leather in order to preserve the espresso and silver theme. Especially under a plat silver exterior.

An important variable would be if you got your steering wheel in multifunction or "design" because the design wheel has the continued silver theme on the spokes.

Good luck with your order!

Last edited by EricP; 12-21-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by galion
Great explanation, thanks!

I will order the spacers and the sport seat plus, my only concern is that I don't like the silver plastic seat back cover in those.

I am debating with the idea of a White, Black interior, sport seat + , red seat belts, spacers and Carrera classic wheels, ahhh sporty!!.

My original choice was Silver, black interior, carrera classic wheels, definetely classier than the white one.
See my sig. :-) white with black interior plus red belts.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
I think the 5mm spacers are not really thick enough, for the front I'm going with 7mmm and the rear 15mm.

It really does make the rear look much wider not to mention the way it feels with the wider stands.

As to wheels, the Carrera classic looks very very good, my choice for sure!
That said, if you go for the base as the price is over 3K... on the S it's only 1K+.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
^^^^ Have you seen 15mm spacers installed? I thought 12mm were a tad excessive. Be careful!

But they are easy to uninstall and tinker with

Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
^^^^ Have you seen 15mm spacers installed? I thought 12mm were a tad excessive. Be careful!

But they are easy to uninstall and tinker with
Not on a 991 but on the 996 997 Porsche has a standart up grade with 15mm r and 5 mm f.

I actually went with 7mm f and 21mm r.
Mind you that's for the wide body so the 991 standard or S could be different also depending on the wheel offset...

Regardless like you said it's easy to change...

Looking at the pics above I'd say you could easily get away with 10 to 12mm (judging from what the "push-out" is with the 5mm).

One thing is for sure, I haven't been this excited about getting a new car in a long time

Old 12-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Regardless like you said it's easy to change...

Looking at the pics above I'd say you could easily get away with 10 to 12mm (judging from what the "push-out" is with the 5mm).

One thing is for sure, I haven't been this excited about getting a new car in a long time
You have a point -

Yeah me too - I was not this excited about the 997.2. I'm stoked - fully.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by EricP
You have a point -

Yeah me too - I was not this excited about the 997.2. I'm stoked - fully.
Hahaha boys will be boys

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Order delayed, desicions, desicions...!