Top Gear's Richard Hammond reviews the 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Top Gear's Richard Hammond reviews the 991

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/mo...or-fect-673336

Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
Sorry but that isn't Richard Hammond. He is English, the guy in the video is Scottish!

Last edited by 19hole; 02-15-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 19hole
Sorry but that isn't Richard Hammond. He is English, the guy in the video is Scottich!
You are looking at the video on the page (that's been around for a while), the text is a review by Hammond.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 AM
porschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really nice
Nice article. thanks for the link!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 AM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
I was watching last night's episode of Top Gear (from London) and they briefly discussed the 991. Engine sound very good, clear consensus, but Jezza really went on a rant about the handling being "rubbish" and that Porsche has gotten rid of the one thing that made a 911 feel like a 911. Knowing that captain slow and Hammond own 997's and Clarkson is a known anti-porsche guy I wasn't surprised.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I remember in Philosophy class where people would have strong opinions about a particular philosopher’s writing and it turns out later when you talk to them they hadn’t even read the book, they had just listened to others talk about it and had come to the conclusion- and then gave expert opinion on it. I think the steering conversation feels a little like this. The S makes it around Nordschleife by 13 seconds faster than the 997S and equal to the GT3. 930man took his on the track and provided us this wicked video.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/267935-track-vid.html
I have a 997S and I have driven a couple of 991s (but not in demanding situations) and I don’t see anything objectionable so far about the standard steering. The plus steering feels strange at slow speed to me but other than parking I didn’t notice much of a difference. I have not seen any other highly credible person say it’s an issue but I’ll just have to wait until May to make a judgment.
ChuckJ

Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I remember in Philosophy class where people would have strong opinions about a particular philosopher’s writing and it turns out later when you talk to them they hadn’t even read the book, they had just listened to others talk about it and had come to the conclusion- and then gave expert opinion on it. I think the steering conversation feels a little like this. The S makes it around Nordschleife by 13 seconds faster than the 997S and equal to the GT3. 930man took his on the track and provided us this wicked video.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/267935-track-vid.html
I have a 997S and I have driven a couple of 991s (but not in demanding situations) and I don’t see anything objectionable so far about the standard steering. The plus steering feels strange at slow speed to me but other than parking I didn’t notice much of a difference. I have not seen any other highly credible person say it’s an issue but I’ll just have to wait until May to make a judgment.
ChuckJ
True, havent seen the new episode, and don't know if he said he drove it. Haven't heard anything about him driving it. Clarkson is so strange; I've seen him praise the 911 in several reviews on top gear, and also completely rag on it in others, can never tell with that guy but thats why I love the show. But I think the steering is better for almost 90% of driving. It loses maybe 1% of the visceral feel it did have, but it also got rid of all the useless feedback from back roads and the like. So unless you drive exclusively on the most even and smooth track, I don't think its a loss. Anyway just my opinion from driving both. Love both, currently talking to my dealer to pick out an allotment and order specs. Am very excited as it will be a best of both worlds for me. My better half currently drives the 997.2 C4S and isn't ready to see it go just yet so we will get to own both together.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silver329
I was watching last night's episode of Top Gear (from London) and they briefly discussed the 991. Engine sound very good, clear consensus, but Jezza really went on a rant about the handling being "rubbish" and that Porsche has gotten rid of the one thing that made a 911 feel like a 911. Knowing that captain slow and Hammond own 997's and Clarkson is a known anti-porsche guy I wasn't surprised.
Jezza cannot like Porsche/the 911, itīs a principle, cause he hated when back in the days the "City Boys" were floating the streets of London with 911s. He hates the City Boys, so he started hating on Porsche, thatīs the story!

P.S. Now they are driving Ferraris, RRs, Lambos, Astons etc, but that hasn`t changed his ignorant attitude towards Porsche.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ptarded
True, havent seen the new episode, and don't know if he said he drove it. Haven't heard anything about him driving it. Clarkson is so strange; I've seen him praise the 911 in several reviews on top gear, and also completely rag on it in others, can never tell with that guy but thats why I love the show. But I think the steering is better for almost 90% of driving. It loses maybe 1% of the visceral feel it did have, but it also got rid of all the useless feedback from back roads and the like. So unless you drive exclusively on the most even and smooth track, I don't think its a loss. Anyway just my opinion from driving both. Love both, currently talking to my dealer to pick out an allotment and order specs. Am very excited as it will be a best of both worlds for me. My better half currently drives the 997.2 C4S and isn't ready to see it go just yet so we will get to own both together.
Count your blessings!!

ChuckJ

Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Count your blessings!!

ChuckJ
I do everyday! Thanks! We should all count our blessings for getting to own these amazing machines!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
Jezza cannot like Porsche/the 911, itīs a principle, cause he hated when back in the days the "City Boys" were floating the streets of London with 911s. He hates the City Boys, so he started hating on Porsche, thatīs the story!

P.S. Now they are driving Ferraris, RRs, Lambos, Astons etc, but that hasn`t changed his ignorant attitude towards Porsche.
This article begs to differ:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-cla...911-07-20-2010
You have to read past the first couple paragraphs.

Just some highlights of what Clarkson said:
"But then along came the new GT3 and I won't dwell on the whys and the wherefores, but I loved it. Not liked it. Loved it. "

"However, despite the aesthetic shortfalls, and the fact it's a 911, this is a great car. It goes round roundabouts like nothing I've ever driven. In a test of pure handling and grip, it would be a match for anything. And it only costs Ģ86,000. That's just shy of half what you'd pay for a Ferrari 458. Half."

He used to hate them cause when he started out he didn't know how to drive and at the time it took an immense amount of skill to drive the 911, with its rear engine weight. Modern 911's are immensely more balanced and easier to drive. He doesn't hate them, he just likes to sensationalize the show, it makes for good entertainment. But if you look at past reviews where he wasn't up against Hammond and May, he has said nice things about them.

Also his review of the Carrera GT was full of nothing but praise and excitement for what he considered at the time to be the best looking and best driving car available.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow

Clarkson is an idiot. Yes, sometimes he's an entertaining idiot, but an idiot nonetheless. He has a position on Porsches and that's not going to change. It doesn't mean he is right. I too would be surprised if he has even driven the 991 yet.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
On the show he did mention that he had driven it

Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ptarded
This article begs to differ:
yeah i know he likes the CGT, but just cause it looks like a supercar and has nothing in common with a 911 and he admits (and i think he had very a hard time admitting this) that the (997)GT3 is brillant. Thatīs the first time, that he praised a 911. but then he thinks the (997)GT3RS is rubbish on the other hand, cause the ride is to firm. he is a t00l, a funny t00l at times tho.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
What I heard on last night's TG:

Jeremy. Has driven the 991. "It has a very good engine" "and the steering was rubbish". "they put on electric power steering and ruined it".

Hammond, "It isn't rubbish, but different". with regards to Jeremy's comment on ruining it with the new steering: "It is less 911ish and so they have then" have as in ruined it!

James May: "It is awful and I hate it, but I agree with you". Steering related.

I was actually taken aback when they went off on the steering. All three. Hammond's review was pretty plain and not indepth in my opinion, but he caved under the pressure of his colleagues.

I look forward to driving it at the Alabama PDE. Hopefully, they will have both generations still in the fleet. They will have the new 991s there in a few weeks, that is what I have been told.

Last edited by cfgtts; 02-20-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: quotes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Top Gear's Richard Hammond reviews the 991