Power steering plus-Can it be turned off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
Power steering plus-Can it be turned off?

Can it be disabled? I understand it operates up to 30 mph.

I drive some nearby canyons with hairpins and slow turns, where speeds are 15-25 mph. Not sure I want to readjust the steering input above and below the 30 mph cutoff.

What are your thoughts on the desirability of this option? I've never felt the need to have this on any of my other Porsche's. I have it on my A8 and don't really like it, but it seems fitting on a big luxury car.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know the answer to your question but I can't imagine why anyone would get this option. My car turns very easily and the wheel to wheel ratio is great without the power steering plus mechanism.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM
jordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant future
I'm wondering how the steering feels at speed with and without. is the taughtness variable without plus?

On my BMW the electric steering is nice and firm at speed and easy when parking. I care most about the nice and firm at speed part. The BMW is vague on steering feel in bumpy or off camber corners, I sure hope the 991 does it better.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jordanpryce
I'm wondering how the steering feels at speed with and without. is the taughtness variable without plus?

On my BMW the electric steering is nice and firm at speed and easy when parking. I care most about the nice and firm at speed part. The BMW is vague on steering feel in bumpy or off camber corners, I sure hope the 991 does it better.
Unsure since I haven't driven a model WITH enhanced steering, but my wife says the-NON just fine at low speeds.

Last edited by EricP; 03-03-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
The Service Information technical manual doesn’t mention the ability to turn it off, only that it has extra assistance from 0-30 MPH range. Both the base and the plus are variable ratio. I’ve driven both and I agree with Eric, it seems hard to believe that even the weakest driver needs the additional boost. It seems like it would be a marketing program for people who are used to a very light wheel.
ChuckJ

Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
I think I'll just spend a few more minutes in the gym and skip it.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:41 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
You don't need it with the new electric steering, this from first hand experience.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Chuck - here are those temps you wanted - I can't send images in a PM so I decided the threadjack

Sport is photo 1 (the blurry of the two)
No sport is photo 2 (clearer)

Water temp is the 2nd line of the three.

Attached Images   

Last edited by EricP; 03-03-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 PM
silver1331 is on a distinguished road
I have it in my panamera and i live in the city so its quite nice to get into and out of tight spots but when i move to the new 911 i dont think i'll bother.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
Chuck - here are those temps you wanted - I can't send images in a PM so I decided the threadjack

Sport is photo 1 (the blurry of the two)
No sport is photo 2 (clearer)

Water temp is the 2nd line of the three.
They look exactly the same to me. I'm not sure how they did that.

ChuckJ

Old 03-04-2012, 06:52 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
I am really hoping the service guys can disable this function. I ordered it "accidentally" (before I found out that it wasn't just at actual parking lot speeds).

Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fbroen
I am really hoping the service guys can disable this function. I ordered it "accidentally" (before I found out that it wasn't just at actual parking lot speeds).
Even at the lowest parking lot speed and also when stationary the new electric steering can be turned very easily. The same wasn't the case in the 997 where this option (they called it servotronic I believe) made some sense.

But if already ordered, I wouldn't necessarily disable it, perhaps there won't be any negative impact at all.

Last edited by aamersa; 03-04-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
pull the fuse, kicks off the power steering plus ;-)

Old 05-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Akeery will become famous soon enoughAkeery will become famous soon enough
Did anyone conclude whether the option can be turned off? My dealer said no. Does pulling the fuse work?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I also have a 996TT without it and the 991S with it. My wife, who drives both cars far prefers the 991S. She broke both wrists a few years ago and they didn't heal properly so the extra assist is needed for her. She cannot drive the Turbo because of the steering being too heavy for her. Personally, I do prefer the steering on the 991S also.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power steering plus-Can it be turned off?