Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Fuel Mileage

I received a marketing brochure in the mail today and for the first time it listed the EPA fuel mileage. For the C2 PDK it was:
20 in the city and 28 on the hwy

The EPA lists the 2012 997 as:
19 in the city and 27 on the hwy.

Even more strange, the C2S has the same city as the CS.

It seems like there were a lot of innovations for 1 MPG. I'm assuming Porsche didn't like the results because they believe they were better than the EPA results and were trying to appeal as they were a long time coming out. I think we'll find that the EPA figures are very conservative in normal (non-sport) mode.

ChuckJ

Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
OmegaMan will become famous soon enoughOmegaMan will become famous soon enough
Interesting. I wonder if they have updated the Porsche web site..

Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Zmoney is on a distinguished road
Who gets 20mpg in the city? Are you driving it like a grandma?
I got 19mpg combined on my last tank and I'm still adhering (90% of the time) to the break-in recommendations of <4,200 rpm. I have a C2S 7MT by the by

Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Elias74 can only hope to improve
Well, certainly fuel consumption isn't too high for a car like ours (expecially Carrera S...).
400 Hp is not a little power, and Porsche has done a wonderful job.
BUT, to stay inside their mileage declaration, u've got to use your car like a bicycle...
Notice when you start the engine...fuel consumption starts at 29 Liters\ilometers...
On the other hand, C2S is very economical on highway, near to unbelivable.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Zmoney is on a distinguished road
Good point. Though it is higher than the mileage I got in my 225HP BMW 328xi, that AWD sips the gas heartily. I have obviously taken my car out on the HWY already, the only reason I'm getting up around 19MPG on a tank. Though I am very excited for my first little roadtrip today, taking it out to Pittsburgh from Cleveland today. Elias, do you have the 7 speed as well? Have you gotten to use 7th gear on the freeway yet?
Zach

Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I got thinking about this from a couple of comments above. It seems to me the sport mode is standard this year and several of the fuel saving innovations are turned off in sport mode. Since sport mode is standard, I'll bet the EPA did the tests in sport mode.

ChuckJ

Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 AM
tmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I got thinking about this from a couple of comments above. It seems to me the sport mode is standard this year and several of the fuel saving innovations are turned off in sport mode. Since sport mode is standard, I'll bet the EPA did the tests in sport mode.

ChuckJ
Chuck, I'm not sure about that. Those fuel savers are on by default and the driver needs to consciously disable them. Porsche can assert that the car should be tested by EPA in the default mode.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by tmg57
Chuck, I'm not sure about that. Those fuel savers are on by default and the driver needs to consciously disable them. Porsche can assert that the car should be tested by EPA in the default mode.
TMG57:
Do you have one yet and are reporting this from your experience or did you read that? The reason I ask is that this review by Ben Stewart (PM) says: "And.... both powertrains here now use Porsche’s Auto-Stop feature to shut down the engine and save fuel at stoplights. It defaults to the off position, so you have to manually engage it, and then it remains on." Is this not true?

ChuckJ
PS And I just found this with a Feb CD review:
According to Porsche, many of the fuel-saving bits of technology introduced on the 991 (engine stop/start and engine decoupling for PDK cars, for example) may boost real-world mileage, as they don’t affect the EPA numbers.

Last edited by ChuckJ; 05-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
I could care less about the fuel mileage in this car...its just too fun!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by BrandonH
I could care less about the fuel mileage in this car...its just too fun!
Just an interesting technical achievement.

ChuckJ

Old 05-05-2012, 04:22 PM
tmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
TMG57:
Do you have one yet and are reporting this from your experience or did you read that? The reason I ask is that this review by Ben Stewart (PM) says: "And.... both powertrains here now use Porsche’s Auto-Stop feature to shut down the engine and save fuel at stoplights. It defaults to the off position, so you have to manually engage it, and then it remains on." Is this not true?

ChuckJ
PS And I just found this with a Feb CD review:
According to Porsche, many of the fuel-saving bits of technology introduced on the 991 (engine stop/start and engine decoupling for PDK cars, for example) may boost real-world mileage, as they don’t affect the EPA numbers.

My car won't be here until late July/early August, but I thought the default for stop/start was "on" for my test drive. I could be wrong, so I hope someone with a 991 in the garage can chime in.

I'm not sure about the EPA numbers, just speculation on my part. Doesn't make much sense to add those expensive fuel saving features and not get any credit from EPA.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 PM
My car won't be here until late July/early August, but I thought the default for stop/start was "on" for my test drive. I could be wrong, so I hope someone with a 991 in the garage can chime in.

I'm not sure about the EPA numbers, just speculation on my part. Doesn't make much sense to add those expensive fuel saving features and not get any credit from EPA.
I'm just thinking there's some reason why Porsche and the EPA held off publishing the numbers. My car is suppose to be here in June so I'll soon know.

ChuckJ

Old 05-05-2012, 04:34 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Not sure if this is the info your looking for but....there really isnt a "default" setting....its whatever you set it at....on or off....and something I am REALLY glad about is that if you turn it off...you dont have to turn it off every time you start the car....it just stays off.

Hope that helps

Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Elias74 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by Zmoney
Good point. Though it is higher than the mileage I got in my 225HP BMW 328xi, that AWD sips the gas heartily. I have obviously taken my car out on the HWY already, the only reason I'm getting up around 19MPG on a tank. Though I am very excited for my first little roadtrip today, taking it out to Pittsburgh from Cleveland today. Elias, do you have the 7 speed as well? Have you gotten to use 7th gear on the freeway yet?
Zach
Yes, i've got a C2S PDK, then my car goes in 7Th speed on highway. Really, if u drive light it doesn't drink too much, even in the city. But the point is IF you drive light.

At the end, Porsche has done a really good job, but u know, rockets needs a lot of fuel to take off! Once in orbit they use less, but it is difficult for me not to play with my new toy...