After market stereo recommendation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Sbh991 is an unknown quantity at this point
991 stereo upgrade

Originally Posted by namdoogwerdna
Apologies for lifting an old thread back from the dead, but I recently did a full system in a 991 if you're still interested OP.

Used a JL Clean Sweep to re-equalize the factory radio, paired with a JL Audio digital amp and German Maestro speakers all around. Mounted all of the components underneath a false floor so the owner could still utilize the trunk space. Check it out:

If you don't like the factory radio, I also did one of the first 9X1 headunit swaps, with this Cayman S preferring Alpine over factory.

So yes, these cars CAN have aftermarket sound integrated w PCM or with a replacement radio
Just saw your post and wanted to pick your brain on a couple items.
2 issues I am having, is the 991 wakes up as soon as you open the car door and I get a slight speaker pop, but even worse when I turn the ignition key. I am also getting a low level ignition noise/whine and can hear at low volume between 3500-4000 rpms. 2 things I have heard are ground loop isolator on input side of DSP and in terms of speaker pop when turning ignition, use signal sense input on DSP for amp(s) turn on?
appreciate any additional input/thoughts? Here is my build list-
thanks
sbh991

JLA XD600/6V2 XDV2 600W, 6CH FULL RANGE AMP

TSPEC V10-4PK 4GA AMPLIFIER POWER WIRING KIT (NORCA)

JLA ZR800-CW 8” ZR COMPONENT WOOFER

AUDISON AVK3 COMPONENT KIT, 3” MIDRANGE, 1.1

JLA XD-CLRAIC2-SW STANDARD CLEAR AUDIO INTERCONNECT TOSPKR WIRE. WIRE ADAPTER

AXXESS AX-AGL610 2 CHANNEL GROUND ISOLATION ADAPTER

2 CHANNEL RCA CABLE 3.3 FT

Y ADAPTER CABLE 1FT; 2 MALE 1 FEMALE

ARC PS8 DIGITAL SOUND PROCESSOR

2 CHANNEL RCA CABLE 14.9FT/4.5M

JLA XD400/4V2 XDV2 400W 4 CH FULL RANGE AMP

HERTZ ML280.21.1”TWEETER SET NEODYMIUM

HERTZ ML700.23”MIDRANGE SET 70MM+GRILLE

PAC SN11 RCA GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR

DYNAMAT XMEGA PAK 9-24’X48”X0.067” SELF ADHESIVE SOUNDDEADENER
DYNAMAT11102LIGHTWEIGHT THERMAL INSULATOR Ľ” THICK 32”X54” SHEETS, 12 SQ. FT.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:54 AM
Thaddeus55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by John S 211
I'm a month or so into my 911 C2S Cab, and loving every minute of it. Still in my break-in period, but looking forward to cutting loose in a few hundred miles.

My 991 was a factory Pre-build that I ordered through my dealer --- an almost perfect match to the build I would have done if starting from scratch. I am more than satisfied with everything with one notable exception --- the Bose sound system. It's unbelievably disappointing. I'll spare you the details of the different media that I've played through the system, with different encoding rates and file formats --- it is just universally poor.

So --- looking for suggestions. Has anyone gone after-market to upgrade the system? Able to achieve clean integration with the PCM?

I know, I know....the exhaust is music to my ears too.....just like to light up some tunes once in a while while driving with the top down on a beautiful day.

Anyway, any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
@John S 211 did you find the right head unit? Could you recommend it?

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm looking for a good stereo and can't make my mind up which one is the best.

There are so many aftermarket stereos that it's hard to find a good one. Many of them have one digit difference in their name. Anyways I've been reading reviews on the nets and they are all hype. Most of them downplay the negatives and hype features like 7" as if it would be that important. I've found a different blog and I've set my heart on the sony xav-ax5000. The thing I liked about this blog is that it says it how it is. No sugar coating no BS. This sony post is a bit critical. It has highlighted some flaws that put me on the fence. What do you say?

Old 01-22-2020, 01:18 PM
Sbh991 is an unknown quantity at this point
i had very good success with a system I installed on my prev 991 along with custom work done for an internal firing subwoofer. I can send you the build sheet and some pics and put you in touch with the guy at Extreme Performance in Palm City, Fl that helped me configure the system. You can shoot me an email scotthornick@att.net.

Originally Posted by Thaddeus55
@John S 211 did you find the right head unit? Could you recommend it?

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm looking for a good stereo and can't make my mind up which one is the best.

There are so many aftermarket stereos that it's hard to find a good one. Many of them have one digit difference in their name. Anyways I've been reading reviews on the nets and they are all hype. Most of them downplay the negatives and hype features like 7" as if it would be that important. I've found a different blog and I've set my heart on the sony xav-ax5000. The thing I liked about this blog is that it says it how it is. No sugar coating no BS. This sony post is a bit critical. It has highlighted some flaws that put me on the fence. What do you say?

Old 05-21-2020, 01:14 AM
zkaleem zae is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a month or so into my 911 C2S Cab, and loving every minute of it. Still in my break-in period, but looking forward to cutting loose in a few hundred miles.

My 991 was a factory Pre-build that I ordered through my dealer --- an almost perfect match to the build I would have done if starting from scratch. I am more than satisfied with everything with one notable exception --- the Bose sound system. It's unbelievably disappointing. I'll reverse image search email checker port checker spare you the details of the different media that I've played through the system, with different encoding rates and file formats --- it is just universally poor.

So --- looking for suggestions. Has anyone gone after-market to upgrade the system? Able to achieve clean integration with the PCM?

I know, I know....the exhaust is music to my ears too.....just like to light up some tunes once in a while while driving with the top down on a beautiful day.

Thanks!
people only complain about missing bass & a big active subwoofer, but this is definitely not the definition of a good sound, it's just powerful noise and as Parkerfe mentioned...

Last edited by zkaleem zae; 05-21-2020 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:26 AM
martinoermando is an unknown quantity at this point

My 991 was a factory Pre-build that I ordered through my dealer --- an almost perfect match to the build I would have done if starting from scratch. I am more than satisfied with everything with one notable exception --- the Bose sound system. It's unbelievably disappointing. I'll spare you
Nox Vidmate VLC the details of the different media that I've played through the system, with different encoding rates and file formats --- it is just universally poor.

Thanks!

I think the strength of the stereo is more important. That's probably why they offer burmeister in the 911 now.

D

Last edited by martinoermando; 06-04-2020 at 02:04 AM.