New Auto Double-Declutching Feature Announced for Manual Gearbox 991's!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
New Auto Double-Declutching Feature Announced for Manual Gearbox 991's!

Porsche today just announced the following in conjunction with the release of the new 991 C4S and C4:

"Driving 911 cars with a manual gearbox and Sport Chrono pack can now be even sportier: In Sport Plus mode, the system automatically double-declutches during downshifts."

Can anyone here explain how that works? Should we assume it will be available on regular C2 and C2S manual transmissions too if ordered with the 'new' Sport Chrono' pack! What does the new 'sport chrono' pack cost vs the old 991 'sport chrono'...or is it just added at no extra cost?

Does this new double-declutching technology make the manual transmission more attractive now? It would seem so to me!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Sounds amazing - I am guessing that you don't need to clutch in on the downshift? Or maybe so sort of automatic rev matching?

My goodness is Porsche just stepping it up when it comes to improving the MT. I honestly think that the 991 shifting is some of the best I have ever driven in my life!

Joe

Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
I bet it's an auto rev matching feature like Nissan offers on the current 370Z

Old 08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I'm thinking when the sync senses that there is pressure on it (applied by the driver), it will automatically spin up the gear with the same kind of blip that the PDK uses, but you will still have to use the clutch. That's just a guess.

I also am guessing that it will start the PDK / manual discussion again because that takes most of the skill requirement down a considerable notch.

ChuckJ

Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 AM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
I think you ask some good questions. I hope someone provides the answers for us! If not I will ask my Porsche mechanic at the dealership and try to get the answers!

Here is the full Carrera 4 model press release:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/27/2...riolet-reveal/

Advanced active all-wheel drive for even more driving fun and safety
Lighter, faster, more agile: the new 911 Carrera 4

Stuttgart, August 27, 2012 -- The new Porsche 911 Carrera 4 unites the excellent performance and efficiency of the new generation of the 911 Carrera with the dynamic benefits of the latest version of the active all-wheel drive system PTM (Porsche Traction Management).

The typical Porsche all-wheel drive with rear-focused layout in this latest 911 version guarantees maximum vehicle dynamics on a wide variety of road surfaces and in all weather conditions. The new 911 Carrera 4 models deliver traction and dynamic performance to the fourth power.

The new all-wheel drive 911 is being launched on the market in four versions – as the 911 Carrera 4 and 911 Carrera 4S and each as Coupé and Cabriolet. They sport the same traits as the rear-wheel drive versions: their lightweight body design, suspension, engines and gearboxes are identical, the only exception being modifications related to the all-wheel drive. This means that despite a higher level of engine and driving performance, all four models consume significantly less fuel than the previous models; total savings for individual versions are as much as 16 per cent. In addition, the new 911 Carrera 4 is up to 65 kg lighter in weight. The most distinct identifying feature of the 911 with all-wheel drive is still the wide rear section: compared to the two-wheel drive 911 Carrera models, the rear wheel housings each extend further outward by 22 mm, and the rear tyres are each ten millimetres wider. The traditional red light band that connects the two taillights has also taken on a new form.

Porsche Intelligent Performance: high levels of driving performance, low fuel consumption
All new models have a 7-speed manual gearbox as standard, and the Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) gearbox is available as an option. The 911 Carrera 4 Coupé with 350 hp (257 kW) can sprint from zero to 100 km/h in as little as 4.5 seconds (Cabriolet: 4.7 s) and reach a top speed of up to 285 km/h (Cabriolet: 282 km/h), depending on equipment features. Fuel consumption with PDK is 8.6 l/100 km (CO2 203 g/km) for the Coupé and 8.7 l/100 km (CO2 205 g/km) for the Cabriolet.

The Coupé and Cabriolet of the 911 Carrera 4 S each have a 3.8-litre rear-mounted boxer engine that produces 400 hp (294 kW); this enables acceleration to 100 km/h in 4.1 seconds (Cabriolet: 4.3 seconds) and a top speed of 299 km/h (Cabriolet: 296 km/h) with a suitable equipment configuration. Fuel consumption values with PDK are 9.1 l/100 km (CO2 215 g/km) for the Coupé and 9.2 l/100 km (CO2 217 g/km) for the Cabriolet.

New: all-wheel drive indicator, Porsche Active Safe, sliding glass sunroof, extended Sport Chrono pack
In the new 911 Carrera 4, a new menu in the instrument cluster informs the driver how the PTM all-wheel drive is currently distributing engine power. In addition, with the debut of the 911 Carrera all-wheel drive models Porsche is introducing the optional Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) to the entire model range, which controls distance to traffic ahead and vehicle speed. When ordered with PDK, the ACC system adds the safety function Porsche Active Safe (PAS), which helps to prevent front-end collisions. In addition, Porsche offers a new sliding glass sunroof as an optional feature for the 911 Carrera Coupé. Driving 911 cars with a manual gearbox and Sport
Chrono pack can now be even sportier: In Sport Plus mode, the system automatically double-declutches during downshifts.

The new all-wheel drive models replace a very successful previous generation, of which a total of about 24,000 units have been sold since 2008. This represents a 34 per cent share of total sales of second generation 997 models. This previous generation launched with one of the greatest development steps in powertrain technology that the 911 with all-wheel drive ever made: new were the engines with direct petrol injection, Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) gearbox and electronically controlled Porsche Traction Management (PTM). In July 2011, Porsche crowned the model series with the 911 Carrera 4 GTS, whose 3.8-litre engine was boosted to 408 hp (300 kW).

World premiere at the Paris International Motor Show
The new Porsche 911 Carrera with all-wheel drive will make its first public appearance at the 2012 Paris International Motor Show. The new 911 models will launch at the end of 2012. Prices in Germany are 97,557 euros for the 911 Carrera 4 Coupé and 110,290 euros for the Cabriolet. The 911 Carrera 4 S costs 112,313 euros as a Coupé and 125,046 euros as a Cabriolet. All prices include 19 per cent VAT and country-specific features.

Last edited by SpeeddemonC2; 08-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
oh man...what to do. This really would be awesome. I want that anthracite/espresso c2s on their lot right now but man, hehe..this is...wow. Porsche you ain't makin this easy..and you are gonna take all my money

Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by nicoli
oh man...what to do. This really would be awesome. I want that anthracite/espresso c2s on their lot right now but man, hehe..this is...wow. Porsche you ain't makin this easy..and you are gonna take all my money
Same, they are taking it all ... I was so close to pulling the trigger on an M5 and then the C4S and all its wonders came! Logic of needing a 4 door was literally out the door! I will beg the wife to borrow the Cayenne on those days I need it.

Last edited by uhn2000; 08-27-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Is this standard on all 2013 MY cars? Or is it on 4 and 4S?

Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Is this standard on all 2013 MY cars? Or is it on 4 and 4S?
It is not standard on any model. Seems the automatic double de-clutching is available only on 'Sport Plus', which only comes if you order option 'Sport Chrono' on your 7MT 991! But I expect it will be available also for the C2 and C2S! If so, will there be a software update to 7MT manual 991's already produced that came with 'Sport Chrono' so they can enjoy this feature? We don't know answers to these questions. Frankly, we are still trying to get a handle on what this technology really is!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Old 08-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I will be moving from a manual to the PDK when I put in my order but here is my impression of the trend.

Much of the satisfaction of, I believe that I may speak for many here, the manual is the extra connection and interaction with the car. Porsche has always been good about getting the steering, breaking, acceleration, and even pedal placement and modulation where the interaction with each equated to the feeling of one with the car. I feel this was an area where the some of the parts are greater than each part separately.

By adding more and more technology they may start to detract from the fun part which has always been the reason for owning a Porsche.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sloopy
By adding more and more technology they may start to detract from the fun part which has always been the reason for owning a Porsche.
But I don't think they have a choice if they are to match their competitors in this regard and move with the inevitable march of technology in cars.

I agree you have a point about taking more and more control away from the driver - the recent Motor Trend 2012 Best Driver's Car Challenge penalized the McLaren MP4-12C because it felt too much like the car was being driven too much by computers rather than driver input. But for performance and increasingly stringent fuel economy laws are also adding pressure on manufacturers to add technology (like engine stop-start, cylinder deactivation, as well as transmission "optimizing") to meet these new guidelines, I believe.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sloopy
I will be moving from a manual to the PDK when I put in my order but here is my impression of the trend.

Much of the satisfaction of, I believe that I may speak for many here, the manual is the extra connection and interaction with the car. Porsche has always been good about getting the steering, breaking, acceleration, and even pedal placement and modulation where the interaction with each equated to the feeling of one with the car. I feel this was an area where the some of the parts are greater than each part separately.

It may have just been my age and personality, but when they moved higher than 5 speeds I found myself skipping a lot of gears and not getting the satisfaction. Now that I've had the PDK for a couple of years, I find I use it like the manual. When I use it with the mini-launch, it provides equal satisfaction without the hassle. The only thing I miss is matching the RPMs on the downshifts which of course is automatic.

Hope you enjoy it.

ChuckJ

Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Z356
Porsche today just announced the following in conjunction with the release of the new 991 C4S and C4:

"Driving 911 cars with a manual gearbox and Sport Chrono pack can now be even sportier: In Sport Plus mode, the system automatically double-declutches during downshifts."

Can anyone here explain how that works? Should we assume it will be available on regular C2 and C2S manual transmissions too if ordered with the 'new' Sport Chrono' pack! What does the new 'sport chrono' pack cost vs the old 991 'sport chrono'...or is it just added at no extra cost?

Does this new double-declutching technology make the manual transmission more attractive now? It would seem so to me!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Great find!!!
The cost of the SC is the same vs C2/S.
As far as I can see there's no mention of a "double de-clutch mechanism" which makes your find all the more cool and mysterious.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 PM
I spoke to my rep and he says its "optional" rev matching - meaning you can decide on whether the car does it for you or not.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by uhn2000
I spoke to my rep and he says its "optional" rev matching - meaning you can decide on whether the car does it for you or not.
Nice.

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Auto Double-Declutching Feature Announced for Manual Gearbox 991's!