Just got back from the Porsche World Roadshow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Just got back from the Porsche World Roadshow

What a blast I had. It was awesome and I want to commend the crew over there for doing a great job.

First off, everything was PDK and no Turbos for obvious reasons.

Impressions:

New Cayman: lacked any low end torque at all
New Cayman S: High end power over the Cayman seemed pretty noticeable. Hit the corners very very nicely without a hitch
911 4 S: Very nice and smooth. Was pretty impressed.

Other notes:
-Wished vehicles had PDCC. But from what I could tell you don't need PDCC unless you track it every week.
-Had a bit of a dispute with one of the instructors in regards to the Cayenne having a PDK. I said it didn't. He said it did.
-Inconsistency with instructors who wanted us to use Sport/Sport Plus buttons. One instructor told me not to use it. Others said, have fun, go for it.

Anyways, had a great time. Hope all of you get to attend! Since the LA tour was the second stop, these cars are fairly new. When it gets to your town, I've probably sat it it along with 2000 other people so don't expect it to be in good condition after some of the turns I made on the track

I guess Porsche will have some fine CPO cars for someone:

C2S vs C4S on a wet mat:

On the track ready to rumble:

In my opinion, the ugliest colored C4s:

Attached Images    
Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Shizzle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by frank69m
-Had a bit of a dispute with one of the instructors in regards to the Cayenne having a PDK. I said it didn't. He said it did.
^ Hate to say it, but your instructor is right. The Cayenne uses an old-fashioned 8-speed torque converter automatic with Tiptronic.

That must have been a blast! I had a friend who did the roadshow at Mosport last week, and he had a blast. For him the biggest surprise was how amazing the Panamera GTS was on the track.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:35 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Shizzle
^ Hate to say it, but your instructor is right. The Cayenne uses an old-fashioned 8-speed torque converter automatic with Tiptronic.

That must have been a blast! I had a friend who did the roadshow at Mosport last week, and he had a blast. For him the biggest surprise was how amazing the Panamera GTS was on the track.
you mean instructor is wrong. no pdk in the cayenne.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kosmo69
you mean instructor is wrong. no pdk in the cayenne.
Yes.

ChuckJ

Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Sounds like you had a great time -- similar to my experience up here at Sonoma Raceway (some pics at the end of the thread in the link). I wasn't too thrilled with the Cayenne/Panamera part (too much waiting for very little driving), but the Cayman/911 portion on the track was great!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-10-12-a.html

Old 05-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
How do you get invitations to such events? Thru PCA?

Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fester
How do you get invitations to such events? Thru PCA?
Fester, I'm surprised you never got an invite. Know your Porsche Sales Associate well and he/she can get you in. Keep in mind, when you get the invite, you need to register immediately (like the same day)...It was all booked when I did it, 7 hours after I got the invite. You can also invite a friend to drive along the track with you.

You'll have a blast if you go! I guess you would typically do things to these cars that you wouldn't do to yours, so you can have at it. And, you can test their latest and greatest. This year, it was the C4S, C4, New Cayman S and new Cayman on the track you get to drive. And, the Cayenne v6, Diesel, and the Panamera Hybrid and S.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Awesome write up !!

The Cayenne - It has an 8 speed tiptronic transmission . Shift efficiency is improved but it's not a PDK .. yet . There are a few speculative articles floating around the internet suggesting that PDK might be part of a Cayenne refresh . If that occurs I do feel that it would be a major sucess . The weight of the vehicle makes designing a reliable PDK which they can warranty quite a challenge . I hope Porsche does it but also feel that it might tremendously hit resale on the current higher end Cayenne vehicles (TurboS /Turbo /GtS ) because PDK is that good . Either way it's my opinion that the current Cayenne is a world class SUV.