Is it normal??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Question Is it normal??

A couple of observations and potential issues I've noticed with my 991 4S..need feedback whether or not these are real issues (it's my first Porsche):

1. After a bit spirited driving with oil temp going closer to 200, when the car is parked/engine turned off I smell burnt oil or simply oil.

2. The power window switch doesn't work the first time, works reluctantly on the second press and every time at 3rd

I'm going to ping the workshop mgr but appreciate thoughts/feedback on these if anyone experienced the same...cheers!

Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
1) Are you sure that you are smelling oil and not cosmoline ?

2) Might be a faulty switch or connection.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
1) do not worry if you are talking fahrenheit (my oil temp runs much higher during spirited drives). If you are talking Centigrade, it may already be too late If you are concerned, check your oil level, but I think I had to add less than 2 quarters in 9,000 miles and 12 days at the track so far. When driven hard, you will get plenty of smells: cosmoline of course, brakes, clutch and anything organic in contact to your engine or exhaust! I like it. It tells you that you got the best out of your car and, because it is a Porsche, you can get back in it and go again, it will not break down.

2) dealership! replace the switch

Not much to worry about! Keep enjoying your nice car!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
1) do not worry if you are talking fahrenheit (my oil temp runs much higher during spirited drives). If you are talking Centigrade, it may already be too late If you are concerned, check your oil level, but I think I had to add less than 2 quarters in 9,000 miles and 12 days at the track so far. When driven hard, you will get plenty of smells: cosmoline of course, brakes, clutch and anything organic in contact to your engine or exhaust! I like it. It tells you that you got the best out of your car and, because it is a Porsche, you can get back in it and go again, it will not break down.

2) dealership! replace the switch

Not much to worry about! Keep enjoying your nice car!

+1. What he (Serge) said. I had the same problem on the passenger side. Simple switch swap.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AG991
Simple switch swap.
Say that three times fast!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I think you should be smelling a lot if it was 200 centigrade!. Mine still smells a little of Cosmoline and I get it to 220 Fahrenheit often in this Texas heat and I've got 7,000 miles on it.

ChuckJ

Old 06-18-2013, 03:42 PM
6sol4me will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Fester
1. After a bit spirited driving with oil temp going closer to 200, when the car is parked/engine turned off I smell burnt oil or simply oil.!
Yup, same here.. it's the smell of a good ride I guess :-)

Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
When driven hard, you will get plenty of smells: cosmoline of course, brakes, clutch and anything organic in contact to your engine or exhaust! I like it. It tells you that you got the best out of your car and, because it is a Porsche, you can get back in it and go again, it will not break down

^^^This

Old 06-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Haha on Celsius vs Fahrenheit ...all in F! I noticed that it goes well over 200F during long rides and regardless it smells oil...I guess I do drive it hard

Btw it's not cosmoline ...I think I'd know the difference between oil/cosmoline. Well, from above seems like its nothin to worry about and so be it that way

I'll get "Simple Switch Swap" soon and yes it was hard to say it ten times, fast :P

Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I think I would take it in and let them check for a small seep, Fester; especially if you see any signs of smoke.

ChuckJ

Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM
gtKnight will become famous soon enough
#1 - yep I have it too. Had to get used to it, but it goes away over time
#2 - I had the switch replaced under warranty. Took the dealer about 2 hours

Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Ok few updates...I noticed that non respondent behavior of the window switch is intermittent - so called up the workshop. I was told that unlike older cars, there isn't a direct connection between switch and the motor; instead the control unit gets the signal and tells motor what to do. So given this, they can run diags to see where the issue could be, while I wait for 30-45 min.

Regarding the smell, I'm told (like many of you already did) that its likely cosmoline- I've yet to take it to the shop to have them check it out...but I'm no longer worried about this one (ChuckJ: no signs of smoke at all..)

Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Hawkman will become famous soon enough
Actually I've noticed this sort of hot oil/engine smell too and put it down to newness.
It's there most of the time, but not too bad. No oil leaks, and the level's OK. Thought it would of worn off after 3k miles. So it seems like a 'feature'.....

Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by Hawkman
Actually I've noticed this sort of hot oil/engine smell too and put it down to newness.
It's there most of the time, but not too bad. No oil leaks, and the level's OK. Thought it would of worn off after 3k miles. So it seems like a 'feature'.....
Yeah, my first thought was that it must be a rear engine car thing (my first 911/rear engine car)...perhaps the engine exhaust sound symposer routing is bringing along the hot oil smell

Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
My 996 smelled like this for 12 years. Porsche sweat I guess. I don't notice it as much with my 997.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it normal??