My C4S Died During Morning Commute

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 AM
JoeInDallas will become famous soon enough
As someone that plans to order a new 4S in the next
10 days, I do hope that you will all keep us posted. This whole issue makes me a bit nervous about the purchase.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM
JonnyC is on a distinguished road
My service advisor said the head technician called PCNA today and spoke with a rep who said he's heard of a few instances in which cam shaft sensors have come loose and caused this kind of problem. Thus, the technician ordered new ones for possible replacement tomorrow morning, and in the meantime, will be inspecting the sensor(s) currently in place. Let's hope they're on the right track.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Attilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the rough
I had this happen once on my '13 C2S. The car had plenty of gas. I only drove about one mile from lunch back to my office. I noticed on the first start up after lunch that it cranked a bit longer then usual before starting. Then on the short trip it would stumble or stall at idle. It did it pretty much every time I slowed to a stop. The car ran perfectly fine under any load or at higher RPMs. Even when stopped, if I held the RPMs at 1000 it ran fine, but if left it to idle it would stall within a 5-10 seconds. When I left the office to go home at night everything was fine and it hasn't happened again. That was about 6 weeks ago. I didn't even bother calling the dealer because I knew they wouldnt be much help if it couldn't be replicated.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
If the engine and all the electronics went off as if your switch had been turned off, it sounds as though it's a wiring harness issue, such as a loose connector and/or one that has moisture in it.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Attilas
I had this happen once on my '13 C2S. The car had plenty of gas. I only drove about one mile from lunch back to my office. I noticed on the first start up after lunch that it cranked a bit longer then usual before starting. Then on the short trip it would stumble or stall at idle. It did it pretty much every time I slowed to a stop. The car ran perfectly fine under any load or at higher RPMs. Even when stopped, if I held the RPMs at 1000 it ran fine, but if left it to idle it would stall within a 5-10 seconds. When I left the office to go home at night everything was fine and it hasn't happened again. That was about 6 weeks ago. I didn't even bother calling the dealer because I knew they wouldnt be much help if it couldn't be replicated.
Weird. I have a similar issue with my '13 C2S... after I've driven it that day, and I start it again later the same day it sometimes cranks a lot longer than it should have to, and it is on the verge of stalling.

Last edited by Team Plutonium; 07-09-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 AM
JonnyC is on a distinguished road
Yesterday, my dealer replaced what they've alternatively referred to as both "cam" and "crank" position sensors, and the stalling problem has not repeated over the last 24 hours. Of course, the problem was always intermittent, so the mere absence of it does not prove it's fixed, but at least now with the replacement of potential culprits there's more of a reason to believe the problem has been fixed. Also, the dealer called after I picked up the car and said PCNA wants the car brought back in for measurement of the new sensor gap (I believe this means the "air gap") when the engine has fully cooled. It seems PCNA and the dealer are now taking the issue seriously. I also let it be known that more complaints have popped up on this thread.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JonnyC
Yesterday, my dealer replaced what they've alternatively referred to as both "cam" and "crank" position sensors, and the stalling problem has not repeated over the last 24 hours. Of course, the problem was always intermittent, so the mere absence of it does not prove it's fixed, but at least now with the replacement of potential culprits there's more of a reason to believe the problem has been fixed. Also, the dealer called after I picked up the car and said PCNA wants the car brought back in for measurement of the new sensor gap (I believe this means the "air gap") when the engine has fully cooled. It seems PCNA and the dealer are now taking the issue seriously. I also let it be known that more complaints have popped up on this thread.
Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonnyC
It seems PCNA and the dealer are now taking the issue seriously. I also let it be known that more complaints have popped up on this thread.

Oh, I assure you that they are well aware of your thread.

There are a lot of interesting "users" lurking on these boards.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 AM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
My dad had the same issues on his C4S 7MT wihtin days of taking delivery. After the dealer working on it 3 different times for this same issue, they finally were told my Porsche to replace the Camshaft Positioning Sensor and that seems to have fixed the issue...knock on wood....

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
WakeCayenne is on a distinguished road
JonnyC - thank you for keeping us updated! It relieving to hear that they came to some resolution to fix your problem...lets hope that it works!

I'm going to share this with my dealer again and ask that they contact PCNA to confirm my C4S should have the same replacement.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Jadoca is on a distinguished road
Crank Sensor it likely is. No problem now for 2 months....

Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jadoca
Crank Sensor it likely is. No problem now for 2 months....
How involved is it to replace them?

Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Jadoca is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
How involved is it to replace them?
External part if I recall. Simple job, 1 day or less.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 PM
hepmonk will become famous soon enoughhepmonk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Attilas
I had this exact thing happen to me on four separate occasions, in my 16,000 miles of driving my '13 C2 so far. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Always goes back to working fine after I let it rest for a few hours. We're approaching exotic territory, people!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hepmonk
I had this exact thing happen to me on four separate occasions, in my 16,000 miles of driving my '13 C2 so far. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Always goes back to working fine after I let it rest for a few hours. We're approaching exotic territory, people!
I had long crank at start happened once but the car started at the second crank. No issues with car stopping during drive etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My C4S Died During Morning Commute