My C4S Died During Morning Commute

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 PM
hepmonk will become famous soon enoughhepmonk will become famous soon enough
Video of stall

Here is a video I took of one of the stalls that happened to me:

Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hepmonk
Here is a video I took of one of the stalls that happened to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjwteYuKrhQ
This is pretty cool of you to do- one would guess that this should help troubleshooting the issue but workshops now a days with their so called gadgets are worthless...

Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 AM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
I had not encountered this problem until the dealer called me yesterday to tell me that the car died on them during their final inspection. It's the first car they have seen with this issue and thanks to this forum, I was able to tell them what the root cause was.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DBYT
I had not encountered this problem until the dealer called me yesterday to tell me that the car died on them during their final inspection. It's the first car they have seen with this issue and thanks to this forum, I was able to tell them what the root cause was.
Crank sensor replacement or software update??

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
They said it was a low battery charge but I doubt it. Will talk to them and tell them to check again.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 PM
JonnyC is on a distinguished road
Sensors replaced, but not yet adjusted: Stalled Again

Today, for the first time since the sensors were replaced, the car stalled and all of the dummy lights came on a couple times when coming to a stop. Had to restart with the key both times. The "air gap" measurement hasn't been done yet because of technician schedules, but will take place next week. I'm told the sensors may be adjusted after the measurements are called into PCNA. I also heard of the same stalling problem happening this week with another new car from the same dealer. I'd like to think there's a national service bulletin in the works. I also wonder if NHTSA watches this forum.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 PM
speedwell is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JonnyC
Today, for the first time since the sensors were replaced, the car stalled and all of the dummy lights came on a couple times when coming to a stop. Had to restart with the key both times. The "air gap" measurement hasn't been done yet because of technician schedules, but will take place next week. I'm told the sensors may be adjusted after the measurements are called into PCNA. I also heard of the same stalling problem happening this week with another new car from the same dealer. I'd like to think there's a national service bulletin in the works. I also wonder if NHTSA watches this forum.
Follow ChuckJ's earlier advice and make sure you both 1)get a copy of the work order(s) documenting everything done to fix the car and 2) inform PCNA of your issue. Furthermore, if it is a leased or financed vehicle, you may also want to ask for some financial relief since you are paying for a car that is out of your possession and inoperable. Although I have not had any issues yet with my '13 C4S 7MT (knock on Galvano Silver), I did experience an extended service issue with an '05 545i. When I raised the issue with BMW based on the # of days the car had been out of service to me, they forgave two lease payments in addition to the loaner they had provided all along. Something to think about.

Last edited by speedwell; 07-20-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Confused Chuck J with Joe
Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
This is nuts.
I'd be terrified to drive my car not for fear on stalling, but the disaster that can occur due to it just sitting in the middle of the street (and hoping it starts back up).
Can you imagine this happening at a major intersection at night, with a green light in front of you? I presume when it dies and you're trying to restart, your front and rear lights are off as per usual..

Old 07-20-2013, 07:16 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dux
This is nuts.
I'd be terrified to drive my car not for fear on stalling, but the disaster that can occur due to it just sitting in the middle of the street (and hoping it starts back up).
Can you imagine this happening at a major intersection at night, with a green light in front of you? I presume when it dies and you're trying to restart, your front and rear lights are off as per usual..

Sounds like Porsche NA is in for a big lawsuit. Esp. if anyone is hurt.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:13 PM
911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice
Not sure if this is related my C2 wouldn't start the other day. It was cranking over but never started. Tried 4 times and nothing. Then 5 min later tried it again and it started right up. Hasn't done it for 3 days now. I'm scared the problem might come back. I read it could also be a camshaft sensor. I think Porsche of North America needs to issue a recall right away. But most likely they won't because it hurts there record.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-starting.html

Last edited by 911F1; 07-24-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Link
Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Has anyone noticed if there is any correlation to year, model, miles, trans, etc... pertaining to the cam/crank sensor issue?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Video reflections...

I know Porsche is as interested in finding out about the issue on end user vehicles as they are making sure current and future cars are resolved to the stalling issue.

It is with your help from boards such as this that they are able to bring issues to the forefront in an expedited manner.

Once they have isolated the issue, unless it is a few isolated parts from a vendor, they may quietly fix all the cars that may have the issue without issuing a TSB. I mean do we really need all the press as long they fix any on their dime?

If they don't take care of their limited end users, they could experience the harsh reality of the internet.

I for one believe they will do the right thing as they have done in the past, and all will be sorted. Whether your vehicle is $150k or $50k, we have to understand that things(#$%^), happens to the best of us.

In your personal jobs, do any of you never make any mistakes however small...?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:18 AM
911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice

Last edited by 911F1; 01-19-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 PM
karelin is on a distinguished road
Same thing happened to me. Four times in the past 2 days it stalled. I contacted my dealer and they said they have never heard of that problem before. I directed them to this forum and said that I shouldn't believe what people say on the forum. They say no cause to bring it in. I have only had it for 3 weeks. Rather than go back and forth for who knows how long with the dealer that denies there is a problem, I'll go trade it in for an Audi.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:29 PM
Jadoca is on a distinguished road
The problem is real and I believe it was the crank sensor that was replaced... no more problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My C4S Died During Morning Commute