View Poll Results: Has the PDK vs MT discussion mashed your cogs?
Yes it has! So please go test both and decide for yourself!
80.36%
No! I don't know what the word "search" means on a forum!
19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Had enough PDK vs MT debate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:39 PM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by VikingMariner
I do enjoy my launch control. Weeeeeeee!
That's one benefit of PDK that can't be argued with.

That said, it can be done with a manual (see: Mustang GT500) - Porsche has just chosen not to provide that option.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Darn. Guess I'm stuck with the way the Veyron does it.

My car sucks. I should have bought a Mustang. Thanks mate.

Does the Veyron come with MT. Oh wait. Nevermind.

Last edited by VikingMariner; 11-30-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Finally something in this boring thread made me laugh..

If only you were joking....

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread202946/pg1

Yikes.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:33 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
That's one benefit of PDK that can't be argued with.

That said, it can be done with a manual (see: Mustang GT500) - Porsche has just chosen not to provide that option.
... And the Z06 as well, and it is coming in others.

Why do people think launch control is exclusive to dual clutch setups?

It was introduced in the Z06, because there are countless Corvette MT owners who purchase them without knowing how to launch, and ending up on someone's youtube video - crashing into a wall or somebody else's car.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:51 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

Good question. Also good thing no one here said that.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:16 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
... And the Z06 as well, and it is coming in others.

It was introduced in the Z06, because there are countless Corvette MT owners who purchase them without knowing how to launch, and ending up on someone's youtube video - crashing into a wall or somebody else's car.
The ZO6 didn't come with "Launch Control until 2010, and most experienced drivers don't bother with it on the street or the strip. I know because I've owned one and associated with many other ZO6 owners.

I realize you have this thing about manual transmissions and the people who drive them, but many people actually do enjoy driving a manual and they really aren't stuck in the dark ages.

You also love to throw around numbers, which leads me to believe that you really don't have much practical experience on a racetrack. That is where the variables come into play and all the specs go out the window.

Here is a video of Ranger setting a record with his bone-stock ZO6. The man knows how to shift and I've seen him trailer more than one GTR on the drag-strip. I also understand that the numbers in the magazines may suggest otherwise, but things are quite different in the real world. And the drag-strip is the real barometer when it comes to everyday driving results, as most egos are crushed at the local traffic light.

Watch and learn:

Last edited by CarreraPete; 12-01-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-30-2013, 09:48 PM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
Good point - I hadn't thought about the liability aspect.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:38 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Good point - I hadn't thought about the liability aspect.
Yawn

Old 12-01-2013, 03:40 AM
Double yawn. Unsubscribing.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:19 AM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rnl
Oh enough already!!! Just stop this bickering! You want it, buy it You don't want it, don't buy it. I wonder if Edison had this argument with candle makers.
You PDK guys often make comments that suggest you see both sides but then throw in an insult at the end.

I don't see it as modern vs. old and outdated. I simply enjoy shifting the car with a manual more than with the PDK. I bought my 991 for pleasure driving only so it works for me.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:54 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gulrey22
You PDK guys often make comments that suggest you see both sides but then throw in an insult at the end. I don't see it as modern vs. old and outdated. I simply enjoy shifting the car with a manual more than with the PDK. I bought my 991 for pleasure driving only so it works for me.
Sorry if you perceived an insult. I apologize for the unintended slight. Here's my point, I saw the PDK as an enhancement and the MT as the traditional transmission. What I don't understand about these type threads is that even if one were to change one's mind the transmission isn't going to get changed. A PDK or MT is going to stay the same. Would I occasionally like to row the gears using a clutch? Sure. Do I often delight in the seamless absolutely perfect PDK match of gear to road, incline, speed, condition and speed? I do.

That said, the only solution that I can see to this debate is to buy two Porsches. One MT with SC the other a PDK.

Again, I did not wish to offend my fellow enthusiast.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Suzy991
For a daily driver, I would have ordered a Turbo S, but since I've decided that the car will not be my daily driver, a Boxster S does the job pretty well. It lacks power as you say, but so does a 991 Carrera S. Or to be more clear... the big thing all NA Porsches lack is torque, especially low end torque. In a daily driver I really want that. As a weekend car, it's not that important, since it will be driven inspired most of the time.
A Boxster S is equally as much fun as a base 991 and the S doesn't add much to that... At least not 70k worth of fun.

Suzy991 (iOS app)
So let me get this straight: a car that goes to 60 MPH in better than four seconds and can crack an eleven in the quarter mile isn't fast enough for a DD?

I needed to borrow a friend's Captain Midnight decoder ring to decipher your post. Here are the results:

Original message: 911 C2S is not fast enough or as good as a Boxster.

Decoded message: I have never driven a 911 C2S and love to blow smoke on the 911 forum ...

Decoded message with some fine tuning: I simply can't afford a 911 C2S so of course it can't be fast enough for me ...

I'm also unsubscribing to this thread: it clearly seems there are more posers than actual owners lurking here.

Last edited by CarreraPete; 12-01-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Good question. Also good thing no one here said that.
It has been said a LOT here on 6speed.

Good thing you unsubscribed.

Originally Posted by CarreraPete
The ZO6 didn't come with "Launch Control until 2010, and most experienced drivers don't bother with it on the street or the strip. I know because I've owned one and associated with many other ZO6 owners.

I realize you have this thing about manual transmissions and the people who drive them, but many people actually do enjoy driving a manual and they really aren't stuck in the dark ages.

You also love to throw around numbers, which leads me to believe that you really don't have much practical experience on a racetrack. That is where the variables come into play and all the specs go out the window.

Here is a video of Ranger setting a record with his bone-stock ZO6. The man knows how to shift and I've seen him trailer more than one GTR on the drag-strip. I also understand that the numbers in the magazines may suggest otherwise, but things are quite different in the real world. And the drag-strip is the real barometer when it comes to everyday driving results, as most egos are crushed at the local traffic light.
Yeah, it is quite common to post someone else's videos. But just about anyone that has ever lobbied for the 'Vette over the past several years, has found one video of Ranger's work, posted it on a forum, using it justify something.

And the rest of your post is irrelevant, as the amount of time I spend on a track holds no bearing on the PDK's abilities or potential.

Until you can point out another 10 common individuals that can do this exact thing, time after time after time after time, flawlessly, everytime, I'll exclude this exceptional driving skill as being the anomaly, not the norm.

The dual clutches allow everyone to get the same level of straight line acceleration for a few seconds (I'm not a fan of only going straight for a couple seconds), among MANY other benefits (including performance, liability, consistency, etc...).

BUT - if you are REMOTELY going to argue that manual transmissions are better for drag racing, I'd disagree, as the professional drag racing cars don't even use single clutches anymore. Please don't take this as my opinion, but rather fact (please feel free to look this up).

You may have misconstrued my previous facts as opinions as well. My opinion was stated very early on in this thread.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 12-01-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:35 AM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
+1 for PDK

It's too hard to shift with a girl in your lap.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by flyanddive
+1 for PDK It's too hard to shift with a girl in your lap.
Sold... Best argument I've heard either way!!!