thinking of trading 991 for M4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:24 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by op487062
Basing your choice on horsepower is like choosing your girlfriend based on bra size.

You mean you are not supposed to?

To OP, go 991 turbo.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by op487062
Basing your choice on horsepower is like choosing your girlfriend based on bra size.
Ahh! My teenage years! Right on both counts!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Folks, the man does have a point.

A base 911 is VERY expensive (given the Power plant) and when compared to its predecessors the performance gain isn't anything to marvel over.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux
Folks, the man does have a point.

A base 911 is VERY expensive (given the Power plant) and when compared to its predecessors the performance gain isn't anything to marvel over.
Yes, but it's in hand. The OP has written to Porsche about it!
I'm going through a very sarcastic streak! Is it Mercury retrograde?

Last edited by Haku; 12-03-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:49 PM
HBspeed is on a distinguished road
I'm on the fence between a used 991 c2/c2s and new M4 myself. I agree that it is unfortunate about the price vs power levels in the 991. Yet at the end of the day, it is the better made car and enough people are lining up to buy them as is that Porsche can keep the status quo.

There is honestly more blame to place on the willing customers than Porsche themselves who are readily plunking down the ~100k for 350hp or ~120k for 400hp.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Haku
I'm going through a very sarcastic streak! Is it Mercury retrograde?

Sorry to inform you that that window has closed. You're about 3 weeks too late..

Old 12-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Op: M cars are modified sedans not ground up sports cars. Porsche 911 is in different league than Audi S/RS, AMG and M. Have you looked at dodge SRT? A lot more HP? If you're hard set on downgrading and getting a twin turbo M4...M3 is far better looking than M4 (with those flared fenders!). Go for it! Not sure why you're even bringing it up in this forum. Suggest going to BMW forums and making those folks proud

Last edited by Fester; 12-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 PM
SISCOKID is on a distinguished road
HP is great but how much do you really need. I'm a big bimmer fan and always will be, I owned an M6 V10, great car, but never really loved it. I sold the M6 and bought the 750i twin turbo V8 that I drive now - - but neither car is a Porsche. I honestly can't wait for the weekends so I can drive my wives 991 C4S. I never test drove the M4 so maybe I should shut-up now but there's nothing like the sound of that flat six, not to mention how fun that PDK is. I can run up and down both sides of the tach all day long and never get sick of the sweet sound. Everyone is going the turbo route, yeah it adds HP but the engines sound like crap.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Snowczar
I think just reading HP is a bit of a mistake. The Base 991 Coupe is exactly the same time on the Hockenheim track in Germany as a BMW M6 Coupe! Yet there's about a 150+hp difference.

M6? LOL that thing is a big fat heavy beast. I find folks who drive those cars, tasteless and have no regard for the road. I've seen those guys race up and down the streets and freeway all the time here is socal.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM
dux
Lets be fair now, the 991 is hardly a Prius.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
The Porsches have always beaten the M cars in acceleration with far less HP. But…if advertised power numbers are more important your than actual performance, go BMW

Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 PM
trek737 has a spectacular aura abouttrek737 has a spectacular aura about
You really can not compare the two. I owned a 2000 Boxster S with 250 hp and a 2004 M3 with 333hp. Back in the early 2000's Road and Track compared 9 sports cars including these two and the Boxster S was faster around the track then the M3. Yes in a straight line the M3 would win, but I can tell you the Boxster S was more fun to drive hands down. It was designed as a sports car from the ground up. My M3 is a 3 series with a tighter suspension and a bigger engine. Do not get me wrong I love my M3. It is a more practical sports car and a better DD because of it.

Porsche has a long line of sports cars from the Boxster up to the 918. They have to slice the pie when it comes to horse power and it works that way from the least expensive to the one with the highest MSRP.

What gets people including myself thinking is you spend X dollars on a car and you look over at another manufacture and they sell their car for less and it has more HP and may have a better 0-60 time. It does not mean it is a better sports car, but in the end you have to decide what is most important for you.

By the way I am in the market for a new car and hope to make a decision in the next 12 months. The top two are the M4 or one of the variants of the 911 model. I am leaning towards the latter but time will tell.

Good luck with your decision,

P.S. If they gave the 991 C2 model say 475 hp so it would have more then the M4, then the C2S would have to have more then 475 and all of the way up the 911 line. It starts to get difficult when it gets to the GT2 and it might need 700+ to stay ahead of the next lower priced 911 variant. This is why the Boxster will never have more hp then the 911 because it really makes the 911 owners who spent more very unhappy.

Last edited by trek737; 12-03-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
You're not buying a 911/S for sheer straight-line speed. I considered everything from an M3 to a GT-R when I was in the market back in May. It took me about three months to finally realize that the 911 is a hybrid perfectionist, and that's exactly what I was looking for. Lightweight yet luxurious, *****-out performance on track, yet amazingly refined on streets. Very few companies can brag along those lines.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Gofast430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Bra size counts.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Aranthir will become famous soon enough
the only issue here I have is with the OP. What are you thinking? You just come by and drop a rant? what's the point? If you want an M4, buy one.

Are you looking for us to agree and dump our 991's? are you working some secret group buy with your BMW dealer and need more buyers?

Seriously I'm totally happy with my C2. I've driven every BMW and I love them. However I love my 991 more....

This thread is a waste of time and energy...

and I joined in...ugh...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thinking of trading 991 for M4