thinking of trading 991 for M4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:01 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
thinking of trading 991 for M4

Porsche has really lagged behind competitors when it comes to horsepower. I am shocked that for a complete model redo they have the 991 (3.4) a whopping 5hp over the 997 version. This is absurd. NO 911 should ever have less hp than an M3/M4. I wrote to Porsche about this and was told that because of emissions regulations they had to shrink the engine from 3.6 to 3.4. This of course is horse **** since the 3.8 remained exactly the same. The truth is they, Porsche, will not allow a non S 911 to have more HP than even a lowly 2005 997 S with 355. It's as if they are afraid to offend the owners of 911 S's from years gone by. I refuse to continue to pay $90k + for a car with 70 LESS hp than a BMW M4 and 60 ft lbs less torque. There are other options out there for our money and after 20 years of brand loyalty to Porsche if this is not addressed I am jumping ship and not looking back.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:10 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
I guess it's why they offer an S, x-51 package and turbos - for more hp and torque

Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
I think a Porsche is about so much more than brute horsepower alone. I got my first Porsche, a 991 C2S, back in June. My prior car was a E93 M3, with 414 HP. Now, I understand that my M3 was a 'vert, and so it was heavier than the coupe. And I also understand that the M4 is reported to have about 450 HP. But I think there's very little comparison between the M3 and the 991. The handling on the 991 is telepathic, and allows you to connect with the road in a way that the M3 did not. And, because the 991 is so much lighter than the M3, it is quicker off the line, and feels more "alive." Also, the fit and finish of the 991 is far superior. All just my opinion, and other people can have different, perfectly reasonable opinions. Just my two cents.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:14 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
Fwiw I sold my 997 S for a cls63. Went from355 hp to 500. Let me tell you, there's way more to these cars than hp. Once I figured that out I sold my AMG and bought a new 997.2 S. ( I know the m3/4 is very different than a cls63 AMG).

Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I think just reading HP is a bit of a mistake. The Base 991 Coupe is exactly the same time on the Hockenheim track in Germany as a BMW M6 Coupe! Yet there's about a 150+hp difference.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:26 PM
tanman will become famous soon enough
Serious horsepower envy. Happy trails.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
Porsche has really lagged behind competitors when it comes to horsepower. I am shocked that for a complete model redo they have the 991 (3.4) a whopping 5hp over the 997 version. This is absurd. NO 911 should ever have less hp than an M3/M4. I wrote to Porsche about this and was told that because of emissions regulations they had to shrink the engine from 3.6 to 3.4. This of course is horse **** since the 3.8 remained exactly the same. The truth is they, Porsche, will not allow a non S 911 to have more HP than even a lowly 2005 997 S with 355. It's as if they are afraid to offend the owners of 911 S's from years gone by. I refuse to continue to pay $90k + for a car with 70 LESS hp than a BMW M4 and 60 ft lbs less torque. There are other options out there for our money and after 20 years of brand loyalty to Porsche if this is not addressed I am jumping ship and not looking back.
So let me get this right.... after 20 years of ownership you still haven't figured out that Porsches really aren't just about HORSEPOWER!

Ermmm.... I really don't think Porsche can pull this one out of the bag for you on what would in effect be changes to the entire 991 range by the time you decide to jump.

You're obviously fuming annoyed, so save your own horsepower and go M4.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tromero

Old 12-03-2013, 01:45 PM
CarAholic will become famous soon enoughCarAholic will become famous soon enough
The M4 will be a great car I am sure of it, but if you are wanting a sports car I would suggest sticking with the 911/cayman. To be honest my S is the first car where I haven't wanted more horsepower. The driving experience is just worlds apart between the two brands. This car has more then enough get up and go for its weight and puts the power down effortlessly, so don't focus on but numbers these cars are more then numbers. Though I do wish the numbers (msrp) would go down.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:10 PM
BlackPepper is on a distinguished road
The M4 is a sports sedan, the 991 is a sports car. In the end, go with whatever floats your boat.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
If all you want is horsepower then go buy a new Shelby. Then you will have all the power and none of the quality. The BMW isn't much ahead of the Shelby on quality either. I've had both and the Porsche is far more satisfying than just about every car made.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:26 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I understand your frustration, the M4 with its 450hp twin turbo engine will feel ultra fast compared to a Carrera.
Ì have a BMW 1M and that little demon feels like it could run circles arround my 991S, definetely not as refined as the Porsche, but very fun to drive arround arround town.

Last edited by galion; 12-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
There is also the obvious Power-to-weight ratio to keep in mind.

So many of these performance numbers are purely marketing tools.
For instance the all important 0-60 and HP number is a perfect example.

As previously stated, buy what makes you happy and what feels right.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:13 PM
op487062 will become famous soon enoughop487062 will become famous soon enough
Basing your choice on horsepower is like choosing your girlfriend based on bra size.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by op487062
Basing your choice on horsepower is like choosing your girlfriend based on bra size.
You should consider charging the car companies for these analogies.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thinking of trading 991 for M4