thinking of trading 991 for M4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
I think that sums it up quite nicely.

I did......

Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by omegaSMP300
Maybe it's just me but I don't think most people in a 911 pull up next to an M3 and think "wow I wish I had that car instead." Just my 2 cents.
Make that "pull up next to any BMW" !

Old 12-05-2013, 01:41 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jnscolo
I am not a Porsche engineer, nor have I asked one about this, but I believe that the design brief included increasing efficiency across the 911 range. I also believe the global regulatory environment will continue to put pressure on manufacturers in this area. Do I believe that Porsche could have released the 991 with more powerful engines? Sure. But, they must balance today's content with tomorrow's requirements (reduced emissions, ability to offer upgrades later....)
Great post ! Most overlook that in the real world outside the forum, there is an ever increasing premium on emissions, fuel consumption, ...

Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
There is no BMW, none, that I would trade for in place of a 991, period.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 AM
bernpep is on a distinguished road
Exactly

Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
You're not buying a 911/S for sheer straight-line speed. I considered everything from an M3 to a GT-R when I was in the market back in May. It took me about three months to finally realize that the 911 is a hybrid perfectionist, and that's exactly what I was looking for. Lightweight yet luxurious, *****-out performance on track, yet amazingly refined on streets. Very few companies can brag along those lines.
I've owned a 2012 M3 for over a year now. Fast, but not like my 2013 911s.
M3 feels like driving a sedan. 911 feels like a luxurious race car.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 AM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bccars
Make that "pull up next to any BMW" !
LOL. I am actually a big fan of BMWS and my '11 335i will be my multiple passenger car. I would take a 911 S/4S over any BMW and a Boxster over most of their convertibles. However, I would consider an X5 and M5 (even with the new engine) over a Cayenne and Panamera.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:11 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by omegaSMP300
I would consider an X5 and M5 (even with the new engine) over a Cayenne and Panamera.
I just did, traded my 958 Cayenne GTS for the new BMW X5 M sport and I couldnt be happier.
On the other hand, I wouldnt trade my 991 for an M4/M3 or any other BMW, just saving my pennies to go 991 Turbo.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by galion
I just did, traded my 958 Cayenne GTS for the new BMW X5 M sport and I couldnt be happier.
On the other hand, I wouldnt trade my 991 for an M4/M3 or any other BMW, just saving my pennies to go 991 Turbo.
Nice! That would be my choice too and I agree on the 991. I do like the BMW M cars and respect them but a 911 is something different and the new 4S has plenty of power for me.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:44 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
What's up Phillip! I picked up a P-car too but I'm also keeping my M3.

Good to see you are over here. What the h3ll happened at M3post?!?!?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
if all you care about is HP go buy a Dodge Viper. Then get your *** kicked on any track by a 911.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 AM
colonel is on a distinguished road
Also a former M3s owner. I always said I want to get a porsche. Fast forward now, there is no way I want to go back to M. Addition maybe, but why? Since I only drive on the weekends I'd rather drive the porsche so why have an extra car sitting in the garage?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Compukidd
if all you care about is HP go buy a Dodge Viper. Then get your *** kicked on any track by a 911.
Been there, done that (in the 911, not the Viper).

We also had a bit of rain that day and the Viper spun a few times. After that the guy continued to lap the track at low speed with the hazard lights on.
OK, this probably relates as much to the driver as the car and I respect 'Vettes, M 's etc. but really have no love for the Viper.

Back to the M4 thread now

Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
Some people are just not meant to own Porsches. The 911 isn't just any car it's the car that sets the standard by which all other cars are judged. If you didn't already know that I feel sorry for you. Really, if you have to think about trading a 991 for an M4...please do!

Old 12-06-2013, 01:55 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Compukidd
The 911 isn't just any car it's the car that sets the standard by which all other cars are judged...
Now now, let's not go crazy...

Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
By the way....I don't have a 991 and I'm not looking for the new M3/M4 (yet) but....I do have a 2013 BMW M3 and a 2011 (997.2) 911 Turbo S. Both have been modified. See sig for details on both cars...but very simply my M3 has an ESS TV2 (intercooled) supercharger system, Akrapovic exhaust, StopTech big brake kit, front camber plates and Michelin PSS tires and the 997.2TTS has a GIAC tune, IPD plenum and Michelin PSS tires.

I know it may not be acceptable to some of you to compare two modified cars, but c'mon this is an enthusiast site - we all mod our cars - and my Porsche and M3 actually make about the same peak horsepower (650) so it's actually not a bad comparison.

The BMW (the way I've modded it) is an incredibly "connected" and visceral experience. You can "feel" the DCT shifts resonate through your fingertips and through your entire body as the tires *start* to spin above 7,500 RPM all the way to redline @ 8,600 RPM while the titanium catless exhaust screams at an exotic pitch. The PDK on the otherhand does shift quickly and holds a lot of power but it really feels like an auto trans in comparison with a torque converter absorbing most if not all of the shock of the shift. And lets face it, the sound of the flat 6 leaves a lot of be desired compared to some of the screaming V8's and 10's out there.

The balance of the M3 is perfect and while it has less overall grip, may be the better handling car. It is also incredibly comfortable (as my daily driver) with fantastic seats and very soft factory springs (competition package). Yet even being extremely comfortable, with just a simple change in front camber and the right tires with EDC set to "sport", the M3 feels much better at the track. The AWD Porsche in PASM feels very "clumsy" and provides a lot of steering wheel oscillation. So for now I'm tracking the M3 only.

Utility is not even comparable. I can get 4 track wheels/tires in my M3. I can also fit my surfboard(s) inside the car with just folding down the rear seats and bring a long a passenger. The factory stereo/acoustics are fantastic. I've beat the crap out of the M3 at the track, at airstrip events at drift events and never one issue...no CELs or anything. AND NO RATTLES! Build quality is incredible. My Porsche can't stop rattling

I take my friends in back to back rides in both - and thankfully I live in a pretty isolated area where I can find desolate streets to open things up. Most of my friends are car enthusiasts and few are even Porsche owners. Guess how many prefer the Porsche? None. My buddy with a 458 Italia actually now wants me to source him a nice pre-owned M3 and build it exactly like mine.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 997.2 TTS is a terrific car. But my M3 is a phenomenal car. I'll be the first to tell you that a bone stock M3 is boring. But it has an terrific platform that with the right mod combination can turn it into what I believe to be the best daily driver on the planet right now. And cost? Yeah even with all the mods the M3 the far less expensive alternative.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thinking of trading 991 for M4