PPI for an almost new car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 PM
AlecS has a spectacular aura aboutAlecS has a spectacular aura about
PPI for an almost new car?

Hi guys
A car I'm looking at has less than 1000 miles. It's a 2012 cab. Good deal. My question is do I even need to do a PPI on such a virgin car? Assuming the car fax checks out.

Thanks, thoughts?

Alec

Old 02-27-2014, 07:43 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Well. I'd get someone to look at it. I guess the question is why would they sell it? Maybe you can get it CPO'd

Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 PM
j080808 is infamous around these parts
Carfax has much to be desired. I would get a PPI, someone in your PCA region could recommend an expert.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:31 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Private party or a dealer?

The conventional wisdom is always going to be a PPI.. But at less than a 1000miles (my new 991 has 880 and I've had it just shy of a month) unless it was crashed or something obvious it is hard to imagine too many issues that aren't covered by warranty..

I'd be most concerned if it had a major collision, than anything mechanical. So I suppose I'd be looking it over for obvious things that would point to a major repair.. Car FAX leaves something to be desired, but my guess if someone crashed a brand new 991, they are probably not going to take it to discount auto body, so it's probably going to show up in a report somewhere.

Personally I'm not fond of early copies of new models just in general, but I'm not sure the early 991's are known for anything major that got fixed by '13..

A PPI is never going to hurt, just have to deal with the hassle of it, but you probably should given the cost of the car...especially if you aren't confident in you ability to assess it yourself, you should probably get some who can... Even recognizing subtle signs that the car may really have more than 1000 miles on it..

Chances are if it's a dealer, it got repo'd, impounded or maybe someone died because it wasn't driven much..

But for 100 grand investment... I'd probably get the PPI

Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
If I am looking at the correct vehicle (on auto trader) the car looks very nicely equipped . It raises the question of why it has been shuffled to two dealerships with such low miles/desireabe color/ desireable options . Carfax shows an early production date and some of the earlier cars had a few issues .

My suggestion is to search the forum for posts on some of the early 2012 car's snags and address those concerns . They may have been remedied and perhaps that might be why the car has low miles . (A car in the shop is not out on the street driving ).

Nice car .. few doubts though .

Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 AM
mas8002mi is infamous around these parts
any links to the car being sold? so we can take a look and advise...

Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Carfax shouldn't be the major factor of doing you diligence. If someone paid out of pocket for something, it'll never show up on the report. Having a trusted 3rd party do a PPI for a few hundred $$s, on a car that's many many tens of thousand $$, is simply the prudent thing to do. See if there's a independent porsche service shop around where the car is and have them do a PPI. That's what I'd do.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by mas8002mi
any links to the car being sold? so we can take a look and advise...
Sure. This is one I'm looking at.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=353874542

Old 02-28-2014, 08:15 AM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
I would definitely recommend doing a PPI before making such a significant investment in the car.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 AM
The thing that bugs me is the description is all wrong. It doesn't have a PDK, those are 20" wheels. No mention of the 18 way sport seats that it has in the photos either. Just kinda odd. I've got 2 emails to the owner. Nothing back yet.

Alec

Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 AM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AlecS
The thing that bugs me is the description is all wrong. It doesn't have a PDK, those are 20" wheels. No mention of the 18 way sport seats that it has in the photos either. Just kinda odd. I've got 2 emails to the owner. Nothing back yet.

Alec
Very odd indeed, as is the extremely low mileage. If you get serious, have a major PPI done to protect your sizable investment. BTW, no CPO from a private owner.

Good luck...you may just need it.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all

Alec
Looks like someone copied and pasted the description from somewhere else...and never checked...

I bet it's a scam of some sort. Have him send you a picture of the odometer.

Good luck! Be wary.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Porschejeff is infamous around these parts
It's low mileage, but i don't think the price is that great. I just bought a 2012 991 cab and paid less than that from a Porsche dealer. Mine is silver/black/black with about 8800 miles.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I was looking at a different car (close to your listed region) . After all how many 2012 cars have 1K miles on them ? The one i looked at was as a Porsche dealership.

As for car in your link it lists a "pdk auto manual" with an actual 7 speed manual .

Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Yonkers is infamous around these parts
Looks like it's probably legit. Here is the same car when it was advertised new by Porsche of Greenville.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...itemid=1237194

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PPI for an almost new car?