991 vs 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:20 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
991 vs 997

I would appreciate some feedback guys/gals.

For a while, I've been targeting a 997.1tt. Then the wife and I (or I rather) test drove a 2014 Carrera with the 7spd manual (after test driving the Macan). The Macan is nice, but it's no 911 after I test drove the 991!

And I have to say I was hooked with the 991. Very roomy, comfy interior, nice ride, etc... All I can say is WOW. Interior seems more comfy and roomy than the 997. Exterior seems a little more "advanced," refined, and aggressive. Big price difference of course, about $25k more...

So... what are some of the main differences between the 997 and 991? And are they significant and practical? Anything that one should be aware of? Interior seems to be one thing that jumped out at me the most.

Pros and Cons of the 991 vs 997? Thanks!

Last edited by docboy; 05-31-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:18 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
For me it was everything you just noted. Compared to the 997 my 991S is more comfortable, more refined, quieter, better shifting (PDK), has a better ride over city streets, etc. it's my perfect luxury GT. Plus I personally prefer the design of the exterior and interior much more. BUT, push a few buttons and it acquires a different personality and is a car I am happy to take to the track.-which I do. (If I want an old school, visceral, shift it yourself fix I take out my 993 4S.)

I love my 993 but didn't "love" a 996 or 997 enough to buy one. The 991 got me to open my wallet again.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I moved from a 997.1 TT to a 9914S with a Panamera 4 in between for a year while I made a job move and settled. First there is nothing not to like about the 997tt. I had 4 TT's, 2 996 and 2 997 and had a love affair with all of them, unlimited power and that turbo swoosh on take off.

I made a job change and bought a Panamera 4 to drive year round while we got settled trading the TT. The Panamera 4 was a great car and a beast in the snow here in Penn. I knew though that I was going to get back into a 911 just wanted to get through some transition time.

I set out this year in Feb looking for a 997.2tt. I drove several trying to find the perfect one as I wanted a manual transmission, no easy feat to find. While at a dealer the salesmen asked if I had driven a 991. I took a 991s out and was hooked. I ended up looking further and decided on a 991 4S. I like the wide body, "big butt",Pcar look and chose a color I never had before, Guards Red.

The reason and the differences? I have owned 11 Pcars and really trust that each model was a move toward more refinement and an attempt to make a better driving car so I was never hesitant to move with Porsche. As much as I liked the 997 the 991 feels more balanced, more refined but in a good drivers way, power seems to get to the road quicker and I feel I have more control over driving the car rather than forcing it to go where I want it to. Is the interior an upgrade, no doubt. Cabin is more comfortable and roomy and the ride quality is much better which means my wife is willing to come along at any time now.
Do I miss the turbo kick in the ***, only minimally. The 4S with 400 hp really seems almost as fast and the delivery of power is immediate with no hesitation and who doesn't like power and grip on all 4 wheels. I will most likely upgrade exhaust to get a little more bite too. I live in south eastern Penn and my drive to work is on rolling, twisty roads through horse country and the 4S is better suited for this type of driving. I really like the 7 speed MT even though I haven't been in 7th gear yet. It's smooth and precise and clutch feel is solid and catches at the right height. This is the best Porsche I have owned so far. Good luck with your choice, either will be a great car.

Last edited by Jersey Shore; 06-01-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Two great cars. You can't go wrong. I looked at a 997 turbo too, but went for a 991C2S. The 991 has major suspension improvements, wider track in front and a 4 in longer wheelbase for much improved ride suppleness, stability and handling, plus the changed interior. It is after all an 8 year newer design. Nothing like the turbo's torque rush, but very similar real world performance overall, with better mileage.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:23 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I've owned 15 Pcars including 11 911s beginning with a 1966. I've owned my 991 for two years now. Each one is better than the last and IMHO the 991 is not just better than a 997, it's an order of magnitude better. Better, more accurate cornering, better mileage, better braking, more comfort. Really 0-60 in 4 seconds and 30+ MPG on the road in comfort. If you can afford a 991 Turbo get it, but if you can't, get the 991 you can.

ChuckJ

Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by docboy
I would appreciate some feedback guys/gals.

For a while, I've been targeting a 997.1tt. Then the wife and I (or I rather) test drove a 2014 Carrera with the 7spd manual (after test driving the Macan). The Macan is nice, but it's no 911 after I test drove the 991!

And I have to say I was hooked with the 991. Very roomy, comfy interior, nice ride, etc... All I can say is WOW. Interior seems more comfy and roomy than the 997. Exterior seems a little more "advanced," refined, and aggressive. Big price difference of course, about $25k more...

So... what are some of the main differences between the 997 and 991? And are they significant and practical? Anything that one should be aware of? Interior seems to be one thing that jumped out at me the most.

Pros and Cons of the 991 vs 997? Thanks!
With an opportunity to drive a 2012 997 TTS Vs. a 2014 991 4S every day I hear my self saying "You take the Turbo" to my wife (technically we bought the 991 4S as her daily driver). So you can tell where I am heading in this response...

The 991 is just better ....in many aspects as noted by many before me in this thread...

The turbo is in a league of its own but I find the perfect balance in the drive and power in the 991 4S.....

they are both great cars but if you are hooked to the 991 already then just get it ...otherwise you will just be salivating every time you see a 991....

Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
With an opportunity to drive a 2012 997 TTS Vs. a 2014 991 4S every day I hear my self saying "You take the Turbo" to my wife (technically we bought the 991 4S as her daily driver). So you can tell where I am heading in this response...

The 991 is just better ....in many aspects as noted by many before me in this thread...

The turbo is in a league of its own but I find the perfect balance in the drive and power in the 991 4S.....

they are both great cars but if you are hooked to the 991 already then just get it ...otherwise you will just be salivating every time you see a 991....
Nice his and hers set of wheels

I'm going to try to get out of the office and find a 997tt to test drive while the 991 drive is still fresh in my mind.

Dam first world problems.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Just took a test drive of a 2010 Carrera S w/6sp manual (no 997 turbo today at the Porsche dealership). I was also able to sit in a 2014 Carrera immediately after the 997 test drive.

Some things I noticed after the test drive:

1) The 997.2's interior is definitely a little more compact and snug; the 991 is roomier and more comfy (front seats of course). 997's seats are snug and comfy; 991 seats (8 way) are relaxed, comfy enough to sleep in.

Both 997/991 rear seats are useless for adults. I'm 5'11" and though I fit in the rear of the 991, I had to slouch my head forward; there's negative rear head room for me. But it's ok, the rear would be for my 7 year old daughter, or for people I don't like I didn't even attempt to sit in the 997's rear.
2) The 997.2's interior feels a little "dated" compared to the 991; 997 interior is not bad, but the 991's interior is more modernized, like a Panamera, classy and updated nicely.
3) 997's hydraulic steering is nicely weighted, but to be honest, it didn't feel THAT much different than the 991's. I could be wrong of course considering it's been 3 days since my 991 test drive.
4) The 997.2's ride is a lot bumpier than the 991, seems less composed than the 991. 991 ride as I mentioned is composed and smooth, not Lexus like cushy soft, but just right.
5) Styling of the 997.2 and 991 are comparable, though the 991 to me has a more advanced looking rear end; from the front both cars look similar and "like a Porsche 911" to the untrained eye.
6) I noticed the 991's rear seats fold down and I saw shelves. It looks like there is enough room to put a single case of Costco bottled water there.

As I'm sitting here typing, I'm thinking it's a tough choice here between the two. All things being equal, I would probably get a 991 at this point since it would be my daily driver, as the 991 seems more refined and my wife would like the ride more.

The 997 would be an awesome track car, esp the turbo. There's more feel to the road; I can feel almost every pebble, every stone/imperfection on the road. Ride is a lot bumpier, and it has a "raw" driving experience. Considering this ride, I can't imagine how the 997 GT3 is!

But not all things are equal, and here there is a definite price difference.

Tough choice!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
I came from a 997.2 non-T and all the things that you mentioned are true. Most striking (and annoying) about the 997 was that my car had PASM, and "comfort" mode was better described as "acceptable" mode. Sport mode was useless.. the car hopped and bounced around on anything other than a glass smooth surface. 991 is much more planted and settled in either mode.

There is a great thread on Rennlist somewhere - I think you have to be a paying member to see it - that lists all of the changes made to the 991 chassis. It's more than just a cosmetic update, much more.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Zelig is on a distinguished road
I had '07 4S 6speed MT coupe and was underwhelmed with power. Don't get me wrong, it handled like a dream but it didn't have enough low end torque unless you wound it up. If you did it was too darned noisy in the cabin. Also, the Bose sucked.

I traded it for an '11 M3 6speed MT and was very happy with the kick in the pants at low end. I Dinaned the suspension and it cornered just as well as the 997 with competition package. Audio system was amazing. However, the clutch was awful (damper valve) and the transmission was notchy. After three years I smelt burning clutch and rolled back on hills.

Traded it for a '14 C2S 7speed MT and am thrilled. It has the power of the M3's V8 especially at low end and pushes you back when you nail it. Cabin sound is perfect with stock exhaust. I opted for the Burmester which is awesome. Car handles better than my 997. Less tail wiggle. Cabin is more comfortable. Porsche overcharges by about 30K. My C4S loaded was 82K after discounts and this was 123K. Granted I added more "stuff" but the "cost/benefit" ratio was not as favorable.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
I cant believe that some past 997 owners are actually saying that the 997 is much inferior than the 991 - although I think the 991 has great additions I still love my 997 and wouldn't trade it for any other car but the 991....

Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
I cant believe that some past 997 owners are actually saying that the 997 is much inferior than the 991 - although I think the 991 has great additions I still love my 997 and wouldn't trade it for any other car but the 991....
The 991 is a more refined car, but one would expect that. The 997 was the best Porsche I had owned until I got the 991.

ChuckJ

Old 09-27-2014, 11:47 AM
997.2 TTS will become famous soon enough
I just did the opposite. I traded my 2012 991C2S w/7mt for a 2012 997.2 TT-S w/pdk. While I liked the 991, I like the 997 better for more than just the fact the TT-S has 530hp and is brutally fast. The 991 seemed too refined for my taste...almost Lexus...Audi...BMW... like. The 997 rides a lot more like a 911, very similar to my 1988 911. And I was not a big fan of the 991 Panamera like dash/console either.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:50 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
For those that owned the 997 and 991, do you feel the 991 is getting to a bit too large in outside dimensions?

I currently own a 997 GT3, and when parked next to the 991 turbo, my car seemed just about the right size, but the 991 seemed a bit over sized. No offense. I do realize its a plus with comfort, interior size, ride, suspension, etc.

I am on the bubble of getting the 991 TT/S, or a 997.2 TT/S, so this tread is educational and timely for me. TIA.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:17 PM
DocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to all
mto, I had a 997 for a year before trading and comparing size with the 991 I cannot really tell a difference in day to day driving. The 991 feels even more nimble and maneuverable to me, has never felt too big. In fact it feels deceptively small until I see it next to other cars and realize it is not a small car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 vs 997