Are things a little stale in Stuttgart??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 03:18 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Are things a little stale in Stuttgart??

Does anyone else feel like this? I have had my car, a 997.1C2S since new in 2005. I love it but I think I am ready for a little upgrade. I went to the dealer and drove a 2014 991 base 7 speed, the only manual tranny I think that they had. I guess it was a little bit better than mine... I want something I can be thrilled about like I was when I took delivery of my car. I think everyone is a little disappointed in the GT3 rollout. There is the 918, but come on. I guess Porsche is having trouble keeping up with production demand for the Macan. I guess I'm thinking give me about 450 normally aspirated hp, in the new light chassis with a manual transmission and a great steering feel like mine. I had a patient once tell me 'I don't mind paying 30 dollars for a steak, but I want a 30 dollar steak!' Keeping mine for now.
Jim

Last edited by 96redLT4; 07-06-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:31 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
There's nothing left to say!

ChuckJ

Old 07-05-2014, 03:44 PM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
Marketing over engineering and racing.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:25 PM
John's 991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Does anyone else feel like this? I have had my car, a 997.1C2S since new in 2005. I love it but I think I am ready for a little upgrade. I went to the dealer and drove a 2014 991 base 7 speed, the only manual tranny I think that they had. I guess it was a little bit better than mine... I want something I can be thrilled about like I was when I took delivery of my car. I think everyone is a little disappointed in the GT3 rollout. There is the 918, but come on. I guess Porsche is having trouble keeping up with production demand for the Macan. I guess I'm thinking give me about 450 normally aspirated hp, in the new light chassis with a manual transmission and a great steering feel like mine. I had a patient one tell me 'I don't mind paying 30 dollars for a steak, but I want a 30 dollar steak!' Keeping mine for now.
Jim
Hi Jim, I would suggest taking a CS2 with a PDK for a drive and keep an open mind. It is different, and perhaps unfamiliar, but a really nice car. And of course, if you like yours better, you will save a lot of money by keeping it.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:27 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
To each his own. I have a 993. It's a keeper. Then drove a 996. Meh. Then drove a 997. Ok, but no sale. Then drove a 991. Bought it! Not stale for me!

Old 07-05-2014, 05:19 PM
DallasDave is infamous around these parts
You test drove a base model coming from an 997.1 S and you draw a conclusion about the entire brand from there?? No offense, but that seems extreme. I have had several models and I can tell you my 991 S is far from stale compared to the 997.1.

You also mention that you want 450 NA horsepower, but again, you drove the base model. Drive the S and add the powerkit to see how it feels to you.

Sorry, I don't know where you are going with this post in the 991 section.

Dave in Dallas

Last edited by DallasDave; 07-05-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Banned
PertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dallasdave
you test drove a base model coming from an 997.1 s and you draw a conclusion about the entire brand from there?? No offense, but that seems extreme. I have had several models and i can tell you my 991 s is far from stale compared to the 997.1. You also mention that you want 450 na horsepower, but again, you drove the base model. Drive the s and add the powerkit to see how it feels to you. Sorry, i don't know where you are going with this post in the 991 section. Dave in dallas
+10000000

Old 07-05-2014, 06:16 PM
charlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nice
991 gts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Does anyone else feel like this? I have had my car, a 997.1C2S since new in 2005. I love it but I think I am ready for a little upgrade. I went to the dealer and drove a 2014 991 base 7 speed, the only manual tranny I think that they had. I guess it was a little bit better than mine... I want something I can be thrilled about like I was when I took delivery of my car. I think everyone is a little disappointed in the GT3 rollout. There is the 918, but come on. I guess Porsche is having trouble keeping up with production demand for the Macan. I guess I'm thinking give me about 450 normally aspirated hp, in the new light chassis with a manual transmission and a great steering feel like mine. I had a patient one tell me 'I don't mind paying 30 dollars for a steak, but I want a 30 dollar steak!' Keeping mine for now.
Jim
Porsche has yet to unveil it, but the new GTS will soon come out. I would advise to wait a year or less to check out the new GTS, with a bump in power and hopefully a manual transmission!

Old 07-05-2014, 07:04 PM
ReconTrojan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DallasDave
You test drove a base model coming from an 997.1 S and you draw a conclusion about the entire brand from there?? No offense, but that seems extreme. I have had several models and I can tell you my 991 S is far from stale compared to the 997.1.

You also mention that you want 450 NA horsepower, but again, you drove the base model. Drive the S and add the powerkit to see how it feels to you.

Sorry, I don't know where you are going with this post in the 991 section.

Dave in Dallas
I think the key factor was he was looking for a manual and apparently only the base model had it at his dealership. I personally love the 991 and feel its a huge improvement over the 997 Targa I had in almost every way. I ended up getting a 987S Cayman and putting in a 3.8 while I rebuild my 993tt. I think we will see a lot of special editions and and I'm hoping for a RS to share track duty with the 987.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:28 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
No. I don't think, after being at the 2014 roll out event at my dealer, that anything is stale. All is right in the world of Porsche.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:46 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Drive the S and add the powerkit to see how it feels

Dave in Dallas[/QUOTE]

That is what I have been thinking. Not quite 450 and a lot of dough, but I am sure its a big step above me...
J

Old 07-05-2014, 09:03 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BradB
To each his own. I have a 993. It's a keeper. Then drove a 996. Meh. Then drove a 997. Ok, but no sale. Then drove a 991. Bought it! Not stale for me!
I completely agree with you. I wanted a 993 when I was 18 but of course back then I had no money. By the time the 996 came out I could afford it but it just didn't excite me like the 993 did. 997 also failed to turn me on. But the 991 is a must have - best Porsche 911 in 3 generations.

Agree with comments of others - sounds like what you are looking for is the upcoming 991 GTS but a C2S Powerkit may suffice too.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:17 PM
ipse dixit is infamous around these parts
Maybe look at the C7 Z06?

But for what it's worth, the 991 911S had a better ring time than the 997 TTS.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:00 PM
wanderfalke is infamous around these parts
Maybe not feeling the need to upgrade every generation is not a bad thing.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:09 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
I had a 987.1 Boxster, then a 987.1 Cayman and now a 2014 991. I've had it 45 days and I can't stop driving it. It's PDK and I love playing around with the transmission. Just as much fun as a manual. I wish it was a little noisier, but other than that I have not a single complaint. Love it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5404%2520%25281%2529.png
Views:	740
Size:	980.1 KB
ID:	394492  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are things a little stale in Stuttgart??