Terrible Brake Noise

Old 04-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Mr.Boon is on a distinguished road
Question Terrible Brake Noise

Hey guys, I have a 2014 991 4S with now 30.000 KM.

Since about a few weeks I have terrible break squeal noise every time I stop the car. It is really, _really_ loud, and happens every single time, no matter if the brakes are hot or cold. I happens only under light braking, bascially the last 20km/h coming a stop to 0.

I've taken my car for a service recently, and my deal said the pads and discs are both fine, and don't need to be replaced. Apparently its normal that they do this, and they cannot do anything to prevent it.

I've tried to do a bunch of very hard breaking sessions, that made absolutely no difference.

I can even hear the brakes make light squeaking noises when going around a corner, or when going over a bump, when I'm not even applying the brakes at all.

I'm getting the feeling they are just lazy and have no clue how to fix it, so they just say "its normal". I've never owned a car that had any issues like this.

But it has gotten so bad, that I am almost embarrassed to drive my car through town, as it's constantly squeaking making the car sound & feel really cheap. I'm a point where I'm considering selling my beloved Porsche just because I currently hate driving it due to this ridiculous brakes issue. My dealer told me replacing the pads with new ones will make absolutely no difference.

Does anybody have any tips for me what I can try to solve this issue?

Old 04-10-2016, 10:45 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
It is not normal for the car to "scream" as it is stopping. We don't pay $130K for our cars to sound like old POS junkers. Go back to Porsche and go up the chain until they agree to replace the pads and rotors to see if that corrects the issue.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:19 AM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
I've had a stone get up into the brake pad once and it freak'in scared the crap out of me when I was coming to a stop..... then it must have popped out when I drove on because it was all quiet again.

Does one of your rotors look chewed up compared to the others?

Old 04-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Yes it's normal and it's embarrassing yet it shouldn't squeal when not braking, that's an issue. I had similar issue with my bmw even without braking it squealed and I felt same as you and that was biggest reason I wanted to get rid of it, which I did.

Get it checked, go to other workshop, for 2 key reasons that are not normal:
1. Shouldn't squeal when not using brakes
2. Should go away, at least temporarily when you brake hard - has worked for me

Last edited by Fester; 04-10-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:25 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fester
Yes it's normal and it's embarrassing yet it shouldn't squeal when not breaking, that's an issue. I had similar issue with my bmw even without breaking it squealed and I feel you as that was biggest reason I wanted to get rid of it and I did.

Get it checked, go to other workshop, for 2 key reasons that are not normal:
1. Shouldn't squeal when not using breaks
2. Should go away, at least temporarily when you brake hard - has worked for me
Have never experience BRAKES squealing while driving. Yes, during slow speed BRAKING. I've been able to eliminate it by hard BRAKING, but you say you've already tried this.

Sound like you may have a piston hung up. If your dealer won't take a look at it, find another dealer.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:03 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by does195
Have never experience BRAKES squealing while driving. Yes, during slow speed BRAKING. I've been able to eliminate it by hard BRAKING, but you say you've already tried this.

Sound like you may have a piston hung up. If your dealer won't take a look at it, find another dealer.
haha. I corrected it. Freaking iOS spell check

Old 04-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Swilliams97 is on a distinguished road
My new 2016 C2 in in the shop for that now. It was in a few weeks ago and they thought it was the rear brakes so took apart and did something which helped for a few days but gradually cam back. I was pretty sure it was the front so have taken it back to the dealer. I think they are putting new pads in the front. I pick it up tomorrow and will let you know.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:55 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-11-2016, 04:39 AM
todd92 is on a distinguished road
He 'just rebuilt' his brakes, but didn't put anti-squeal paste on the back of the pads before he put it together the 1st time?

Anti-squeal paste is the correct product to use on the back of the pads, not caliper grease. I wouldn't be watching any more of this guys videos for advice.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:41 PM
GTW4CG is on a distinguished road
Here's what works for me: Every time I wash the car, I thoroughly hose out around the disks and the brake calipers. The squealing stops until the next time the brakes get all dirty again.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by GTW4CG
Here's what works for me: Every time I wash the car, I thoroughly hose out around the disks and the brake calipers. The squealing stops until the next time the brakes get all dirty again.
Actually it's true. I've noticed the same.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys! Much appreciated. I think I'll go back to Porsche, and give them an earful.

I tried this yesterday, and it did indeed help for a good 25km. But by the time I came home from my drive, the noise was back just as bad as before. So really just a very short term fix.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
This has worked for me also.
2013 4S
39k miles

Old 04-12-2016, 07:30 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
There is no way Porsche believes brake squeal is OK and acceptable. I would push this up to a factory representative if necessary. I woudn't care what the dealership service adviser is telling you about "being normal". At the price of these cars that is just idiotic.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 AM
I've made a little video of the brakes issue: https://*******/uBnL

This isn't acceptable no?!?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Terrible Brake Noise