Tire & Wheel protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:07 PM
speedy2081 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tire & Wheel protection

Hello to All. Picking up my new 997.2 2S Cabriolet tomorrow. Anyone see value in the dealer tire protection? Add about $90 per month to a lease. 27 month lease.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:38 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
No...

Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Pass. It is a huge profit generator for the dealer.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:56 AM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
It's worth it to me because tire vendors around here don't carry the sizes we need and it can take a week to get them. If I use the dealer, they stock them and will also give me a loaner if needed. If you just buy them from the dealer, there's no road hazard, so if you blow one a week later, you're stuck paying for another tire that the insurance would have covered.
You can negotiate the price they want.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:59 AM
jpsjr1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just payed $2,850 for a 5 year plan Wheel/Tire Unlimited miles. I totally believe in these packages since one rear tire is $900ea. and front tire is $650ea. A new wheel could run $1k and repairs are easily $200.00. You figure three flats will pay the bill.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:33 AM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
I don't think road hazard covers wear.
Most tire stores won't repair an N rated tire.
Porsche tires don't last 5 years unless you don't put many miles, and it's hard to get 3 flats with low miles.
I get my tires from the dealer, they charge close to what the internet tire companies want, and they throw in free hazard warranty which is normally like $20.
If you scrape your rim it can easily be a $100-200 repair.

I'd pass.

It reminds me of those aftermarket warranties. My friend paid big money for the aftermarket warranty, and they never pay to repair his intermittent transmission failure. He had to keep paying the deductible every time he brought it in though.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpsjr1970
I just payed $2,850 for a 5 year plan Wheel/Tire Unlimited miles. I totally believe in these packages since one rear tire is $900ea. and front tire is $650ea. A new wheel could run $1k and repairs are easily $200.00. You figure three flats will pay the bill.
You have some expensive tires in central New Jersey.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Ok, I just realized I quoted the wrong prices, I should have said a set of tires for the rear is $900 and a set of front tires is $650. My bad, sorry. I still believe that tire and wheel pkg is worth it. I guess it's everyone's opinion. I use my car as a DD.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:35 PM
mikeva will become famous soon enoughmikeva will become famous soon enough
All I can tell you from my past experience is that a) if you buy the coverage you'll probably never need it AND b) if you don't buy the coverage then you'll curb two rims and flatten two tires within the first year. At least that is the way it worked for me.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mikeva
All I can tell you from my past experience is that a) if you buy the coverage you'll probably never need it AND b) if you don't buy the coverage then you'll curb two rims and flatten two tires within the first year. At least that is the way it worked for me.
Of course, Murphy's law.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
I paid $1500 or so for 5 yrs and it paid for itself. Have replaced at least 4 tires on it. No wheel replacement. So for me it worked

Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
My right rear caught a screw last October and a new tire, mounted, balanced, and everything, cost me $540. I admit a certain surprise that I am able to purchase a tire cheaper from a Beverly Hills dealership than you could in NJ! I would add that this GTS is the only car I've owned in over a decade for which I didn't purchase the tire and wheel protection. That said, the reason I didn't purchase this protection is I only used it once over the span of 8 vehicles to date. I did purchase a service plan for the GTS, and both a service and tire and wheel protection for the Cayenne (my wife's vehicle).

Old 04-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Leslierc
My right rear caught a screw last October and a new tire, mounted, balanced, and everything, cost me $540. I admit a certain surprise that I am able to purchase a tire cheaper from a Beverly Hills dealership than you could in NJ! I would add that this GTS is the only car I've owned in over a decade for which I didn't purchase the tire and wheel protection. That said, the reason I didn't purchase this protection is I only used it once over the span of 8 vehicles to date. I did purchase a service plan for the GTS, and both a service and tire and wheel protection for the Cayenne (my wife's vehicle).
I totally understand. I corrected my thread if you read it fully. I quoted two rears and two fronts, my bad. My last 991 went thru 4 rears, and two front tires. The roads in NJ/NY are horrible. The warranty worked for me.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:39 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I totally understand. I corrected my thread if you read it fully. I quoted two rears and two fronts, my bad. My last 991 went thru 4 rears, and two front tires. The roads in NJ/NY are horrible. The warranty worked for me.
Northeast roads are total crap. I know about this because I lived in the D.C. Metro area for 39 years and once experienced a wheel create a hole and go through a cobblestone in Georgetown!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 PM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
Per leslierc it isn't used very often and is expensive. I picked up my new to me 991.1 today (will post pics soon) and they offered a package the covered tires, rims and leather but it was $5500 Canadian ($4100 USD) for 5 years, and about 10% less for 4 years coverage. I think I can self insure and pay for any damage based on that pricing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.