I am back with a new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:08 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am back with a new car

Most here may not know me but I used to post here a lot . In 2008 I joined and came to the forum with my then dream car . It was a 997.1 Turbo . Back then most of the cars did not have the technology and sophistication of todays models. What they did have was an amazing Gt1 engine in the Turbo (and Gt3) and a beautiful flat NA engine in the 997 and 997S . Over those years i owned both .

In 2012 I drove my first 991 . It left me confused . It was such a departure from the earlier traditional models yet I ordered a car then hesitated . This occurred twice . I kept my 997 Turbo , decided to buy a Boxster , and added the Macan . The first was a Macan Turbo . The second was also a Macan Turbo which was rear ended. I decided to try a Macan GTS .

When Porsche launched the 718 I originally thought I'd replace my Boxster (now 4 years old) with a 718 but I didnt like the car . After a year and two test drives I warmed up to it but not enough to buy it .

So one day I called the Manager of my dealership and told him I wanted a new car but just cant seem to find any at his dealership which convinced me . I told him I would look more . My salesman met me and we looked but found nothing . So i turned to him and said "I just wish you had a 991.2 GTS for me to see it." He told me they got their first one and even he had not seen it yet . It had just arrived .

Since i was planning on a spending limit of a Boxster but moved up to about a modest 991 S I got nervous . Then I saw the car . I cant even describe it . In fact I didnt even speak . I just sat there like a fool with this goofy ear to ear smile while internally I was doing cartwheels .
I traded my Boxster but went to trade my 997 Turbo and even just discussing it was too emotional . I went as far as driving home to get it and drove back . I could not hand over the key . So I kept it !!!!!

And now i have BOTH . Here is my new 991.2 GTS . I will eventually do a review and write up of my new car but am still in break in period .

Attached Images      
Old 05-13-2017, 12:12 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Here is my 991.1 Turbo (my garage queen) which I could not part with and still have as well.

Attached Images     
Old 05-13-2017, 12:25 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I hope you appreciate how fortunate you are!!! Congratulations!!!

ChuckJ

Old 05-13-2017, 02:21 PM
neuneleven has a spectacular aura aboutneuneleven has a spectacular aura about
@ Yrallis1: I remember you posting in the 997 forum, I had one (997.2) back then prior to moving to a P4S. Congrats on your new purchase. It' great you kept the 997 turbo. Who knows, you might enjoy the 992 GTS such that you're finally ready to relinquish the 997 - though on second thoughts you might not, as I see it is a manual. Enjoy them both and all the best

Old 05-13-2017, 04:11 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Most here may not know me but I used to post here a lot . In 2008 I joined and came to the forum with my then dream car . It was a 997.1 Turbo . Back then most of the cars did not have the technology and sophistication of todays models. What they did have was an amazing Gt1 engine in the Turbo (and Gt3) and a beautiful flat NA engine in the 997 and 997S . Over those years i owned both .

In 2012 I drove my first 991 . It left me confused . It was such a departure from the earlier traditional models yet I ordered a car then hesitated . This occurred twice . I kept my 997 Turbo , decided to buy a Boxster , and added the Macan . The first was a Macan Turbo . The second was also a Macan Turbo which was rear ended. I decided to try a Macan GTS .

When Porsche launched the 718 I originally thought I'd replace my Boxster (now 4 years old) with a 718 but I didnt like the car . After a year and two test drives I warmed up to it but not enough to buy it .

So one day I called the Manager of my dealership and told him I wanted a new car but just cant seem to find any at his dealership which convinced me . I told him I would look more . My salesman met me and we looked but found nothing . So i turned to him and said "I just wish you had a 991.2 GTS for me to see it." He told me they got their first one and even he had not seen it yet . It had just arrived .

Since i was planning on a spending limit of a Boxster but moved up to about a modest 991 S I got nervous . Then I saw the car . I cant even describe it . In fact I didnt even speak . I just sat there like a fool with this goofy ear to ear smile while internally I was doing cartwheels .
I traded my Boxster but went to trade my 997 Turbo and even just discussing it was too emotional . I went as far as driving home to get it and drove back . I could not hand over the key . So I kept it !!!!!

And now i have BOTH . Here is my new 991.2 GTS . I will eventually do a review and write up of my new car but am still in break in period .

Nice call!! BTW I remember your posts, back in the day. I love that Turbo btw - only about 19,000 miles??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150629.jpg.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	476265  
Old 05-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
welcome back

Old 05-13-2017, 05:28 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Great car great build. Hard to believe they had it sitting around.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys . I posted my initial impressions in the Macan Forum where I've been busy enjoying those cars as well. I did BTW drive a very basic 991.2 S last year . It had only RS wheels and a Bose . Even a basic car was impressive . Here are my initial thoughts on this particular GTS as of yesterday with 220 miles .

I'll separate a few things :

1) Curb appeal and interior -- I love how the car looks as well as the layout of the interior . Part of me feels the "GTS" signature on the sides is overkill yet i happen to love it on the Macan because it makes the silly sideblades look significant . On the 911 its not needed . The alcantara interior is beautiful . Usually I drive the Macan in the (cooler) evening which also has it . In the hot and humid day I do sweat a little in any seat so i will have to learn a method to clean them . I usually hate sunroofs and would have deleted it but I am growing to love this one . Unlike any other (including my Turbo as well as the macan) this one really gives a fantastic open air feel . In the Macan the roof is more geared to passengers and in the Turbo the regular (non glass) roof is just silly.

2) Drive -- I must say that Porsche has done an amazing job of trying to create a normally aspirated resemblance with the car . Everything from the sound to the seamless climb through the gears is just beautiful . I notice some of this with the Macan (GTS Vs Turbo) and have concluded that a "Turbo" labeled car will behave like a Turbo and the rest will try not to .

3) PDK -- I have dabbled with PDK in both normal , sport , and manual mode . I find the shifting is awesome in all three and this is the first car which can be driven in sport mode in civilized traffic without too much jerk . If traffic is gridlock I stick to normal . All other get sport . I particularly like the "sport response" feature . It basically places the car in sport plus for 20 seconds which is very useful if putting around and needs to do a hard pass suddenly . PDK does mate beautifully with the engine . I had also driven a manual and loved it too . One cant go wrong with either.

4) Back to back drive with my Turbo -- The other day I gave a non car person a ride in the new car. His first comment was "it doesn't sound or feel ferocious like your turbo" . It actually is much more civilized . He's right ! That's what makes it such a great daily driver .

It will however out handle my Turbo in any cornering contest . The car sticks to the ground as though the wheels have paste and in classic 911 tradition it feels like its being pushed with the front wheels for steering .

The AWD and massive torque of the Turbo are a different drive and with the extensive modifications would eat the 991.2 GTS in any straight line contest . It's a different league of fast .

5) Technology -- I shamefully admit that I listened to the sales guy teach it but i have not used any of it . i use my phone and occasionally sat radio and that's it . This car came with a backup camera and i actually laugh at it . One would have to be blind like Mr Magoo not to appreciate the small size and excellent visibility . a camera is just pure silliness .

I decided to try the "entry and dive" feature for the first time . It's OK but I am not a fan . I'll give it more time.
I havent unplugged it yet.

Only 1800 miles left before i can run the thing a bit harder. i am actually trying to stick with break in for the first time ever . We'll see how it goes.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I've looked at the acceleration numbers on the new 991.2 GTS and they are very Panamera Turbo-like- i.e., menacingly fast. When I had my PTT, it's straight line acceleration was beastly. I loved the 911 handling so went back to that with a GTS.

I didn't think I would care about Entry and Drive, backup camera, carbon fiber trim...but I like them all. Now I would get Entry and Drive on any Porsche.

The sunroof- it's now a $2000 option on a new 911 for the glass sunroof. I love using it to simply ventilate the cabin on a warmer day, and it kinda gives a 997-like Targa feeling. But true, I'm not sure a sunroof is a necessity.

Sometime I want to drive a 991 Turbo with the 3.8, just to get the feeling of that...I fear that I would love it.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by chance6

Sometime I want to drive a 991 Turbo with the 3.8, just to get the feeling of that...I fear that I would love it.
The 991 Turbo is a more luxurious type of drive . It's more powerful but less precise with the throttle . Both are fantastic cars . I just feel the GTS seems to be the sweet spot in this lineup . It's priced right in the middle of a base 911 and a Turbo S and offers so much value in terms of driving capability . It can be driven at the track, on the street , as a daily car, or even to a supermarket . It's really an all around hit .

Old 05-15-2017, 09:37 PM
KEMA is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on a beautiful new car. I'm myself waiting for my 991.2 GTS Cab scheduled for delivery end June.

On the topic of performance vs your 911 Turbo you might find this hot lap interesting from Sport Auto:

7 min 23.7 seconds is only slightly behind the Ferrari 488 GTB (7:21.6) and faster than the 991 GT3 RS (7:28). The 997 Turbo ran 7:38.

Not to say that everything is to be measured in lap times but the new GTS is an amazing machine.

Ken

Old 05-16-2017, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by KEMA

7 min 23.7 seconds is only slightly behind the Ferrari 488 GTB (7:21.6) and faster than the 991 GT3 RS (7:28). The 997 Turbo ran 7:38.

Not to say that everything is to be measured in lap times but the new GTS is an amazing machine.

Ken
Ken - I have no doubts that in any track contest the new GTS would beat my Turbo . Keep in mind that my Turbo is not an ordinary 997 Turbo (stock) . I have double the cost of modifications in the car including a revised suspension . It's an Evoms car. was a two year project to build and with Hp in the 700's .

Ten years ago the cars had the platform to modify . The newer cars come beautiful stock and this car will remain stock. The new suspension is the winning trait to this GTS .

The place where the modded Turbo is king is any straight line or rolling start contest .

Old 05-16-2017, 06:48 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Two great cars. Congratulations.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 AM
cfpchfc1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Ken - I have no doubts that in any track contest the new GTS would beat my Turbo . Keep in mind that my Turbo is not an ordinary 997 Turbo (stock) . I have double the cost of modifications in the car including a revised suspension . It's an Evoms car. was a two year project to build and with Hp in the 700's .

Ten years ago the cars had the platform to modify . The newer cars come beautiful stock and this car will remain stock. The new suspension is the winning trait to this GTS .

The place where the modded Turbo is king is any straight line or rolling start contest .
I had an 08 tt modified with 700+ hp. The 991tt, specially modified with around 800 hp is just intoxicating. The smoothness of the power delivery and speed build is unbelievable. BTW, you can extract that power with less money than the 997tt.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:21 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Welcome back, Larry! I am so glad you kept your 997 turbo, that is one beautiful car! I just jumped into a 991.1 TT from my 997.2 C4, and am loving the 991 as well. But I couldn't keep both...

Name:  25C4FFC2-ED05-48CA-9BB8-852304A2CDAB_zpsgbs4my8h.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  228.1 KB

Hope the break in period goes by quickly!

Ron

Last edited by Scoper; 05-17-2017 at 04:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.