ODBII scanner recommendation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
ODBII scanner recommendation?

I'm interested in purchasing an ODBII device for reading values as well as being to reset service interval notices. There is one device on Amazon I see, but it has mixed reviews and several recent ones say it no longer works with a recent firmware update.

Recommendations would be much appreciated!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I use this one, Stealthboy on my 991.1, 993 and 2004 Boxster S SE and it works great for oil changes and interim sets. I don't know if there's a firmware that blocks its use.
Amazon Amazon

ChuckJ

Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chuckj
i use this one, stealthboy on my 991.1, 993 and 2004 boxster s se and it works great for oil changes and interim sets. I don't know if there's a firmware that blocks its use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b0...?ie=utf8&psc=1

chuckj
+991

Old 05-19-2017, 06:31 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Ordered. Thank you both!

Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 AM
DarthSid is on a distinguished road
iCarsoft PORII

I used my device for the first time last month to reset the oil light and it worked flawlessly. You may want to view some aids on YouTube. When you receive your device it contains a micro-disc that s/b inserted in the slot on the scanner. It should have the latest software updates (March 2017) or more recent. If it doesn't, there are procedures to download the latest updates. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:14 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
The Durametric is really the only aftermarket tool which you can do more than just reset the service indicator.

Personally I'd love to see someone else come up with a decent diagnostic tool.. I actually considered developing one myself a couple years ago.. The Durametric hardware I think is fine, but the software is just dismal and kind of a hacked kluge. Even their website looks like it was done in 1997.

There are definitely limitations in what it can do because on the 991 as compared to the 997 and earlier models, but I think that has more to do with Porsche than the tool.

I've seen mixed results with the OBD2 tools, so I spent the $280 for Durametric which works well. They have a professional and Enthusiast model. All the professional gets you is the ability to do more than 3 vin's and allows you to code. But for the 991 there it doesn't support coding of any useful features so the value is dubious.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:33 AM
carlo.paso is on a distinguished road
Does the software (version 6) and the cable work on a 991.2 S ?

Old 02-28-2018, 06:35 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by carlo.paso
Does the software (version 6) and the cable work on a 991.2 S ?
Works but doesn't do much. They have a table with available functions on their website

Old 02-28-2018, 09:21 AM
carlo.paso is on a distinguished road
durametric functions table for 991 12/15

I asked this because on the durametric website there are the functions table for the 991 12/15.
991.2 isn't mentioned

Last edited by carlo.paso; 02-28-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:58 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by carlo.paso
I asked this because on the durametric website there are the functions table for the 991 12/15.
991.2 isn't mentioned
It connected on mine, recognized what need to. It read and resetted codes without issues. Give them a call to confirm, as it's not a cheap cable

Old 03-27-2018, 02:22 PM
TsaiCo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I use this one, Stealthboy on my 991.1, 993 and 2004 Boxster S SE and it works great for oil changes and interim sets. I don't know if there's a firmware that blocks its use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011DKBXBK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ChuckJ
me too, GOT the CR PLUS model, I have other vehicle might also be able to use the device too.

just cleared my service warrant yesterday! wish the "ok" button was in the middle of 4 navigation buttons thou....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2926.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	523129  

Last edited by TsaiCo; 04-21-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 PM
negb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scatkins
The Durametric is really the only aftermarket tool which you can do more than just reset the service indicator.
Maybe you know if it has possibility to see how many times Launch Control was in use on particular Porsche car ?

Old 04-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Banned
R_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really niceR_Rated is just really nice
I have a pretty generic one I got from the autoparts store almost 10 years ago that works fine for reading basic codes and resetting service intervals. They are all about the same with the only difference being a nicer device, screen, etc.

If you need more than that then look into a durametric but if you're a mac user.... don't bother with trying to run windows on your mac. THAT is an awful experience. Better to buy the cheapest windows machine you can and run it on that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.