996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt. Need lug-nut info and jack info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:37 AM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
996tt. Need lug-nut info and jack info

2003 996tt

Well, i am getting some track rims and tires, what do i need to know and have for swapping rims at a track ?

Recommendations for Torque wrench and settings/lbs ?

What size Lug Socket ?

Recommendation of Jack ?

Any tips along the way ....

Thx as always everyone !!

DW

Old 10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
90 ft/lbs will do. 19mm lug socket. I used the stock repair kit jack
for a long time. (easy to carry, very light etc) For a home jack, the
low one from Griot's Garage is *very* nice. It goes under a lowered
car, and lets the car down gradually. Others will drop it like a stone
unless you're very careful.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77739

A rechargeable impact wrench is very nice for undoing the
lugs, and for *gently* retightening. You don't want to tighten
more than finger-tight with it. Let the torque wrench do that.
I use a 12-volt DeWalt with a long socket. Plenty enough torque
and not too much to risk overtightening.

Last edited by Joe Weinstein; 10-05-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: give correct socket size
Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
this is getting scary.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:38 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
why scary "oak" ?

thanks Joe !!! glad to hear the info, i am heading to Napa tomorrow for a bunch of stuff, i will have to add this to my list and i guess i will check out home depot for the impact dewalt.

DW

Old 10-05-2007, 12:46 AM
FlyYellow will become famous soon enoughFlyYellow will become famous soon enough
i'll second joe's comments. i though like to make it easy on myself... so with that said...

i have a racing jack
I have a snap-on impact cordless drill (a real pleasure)
a round chair to keep me comfy.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 PM
ahh... a chair ! acutally that would be useful ! okay, i went to pepboys and napa. took a print of this info. jacks are like $200, wrench about $70. Didnt see a drill, maybe i will just use the torque wrench for a few times. Is a torque wrench too delicate to use for removing bolts? i mainly see people use them to do the final touch..

Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
Excellent tips by Joe. I used almost the exact same techniques a fwe weeks ago when I wanted to really clean the inside of the wheels and the wheel wells. It is really easy to do, also remember to use the long threaded "pin" in your spare tire kit to screw into one of the lug hoes. This will make lining the tires up very easy on reinstall.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
I thought it was 96 lb/ft torque and a 19MM socket ??
Bill

Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
I first torque to 60 ft lbs on the first past in a crossing star pattern and then 96 ft lbs to finish. The socket is 19mm or 3/4 inch in a pinch. I use a standard 2-1/4 ton jack with a special plate that has a protrusion on the top that looks like the nub on the OEM jack from the trunk. To jack the vehicle I first drive the car up on spacers. They just small ramps made from 2" x 6" lumber about 12" long with a 45 degree chamfer on the drive up edge. From there I jack the car up using two floor jacks in the back. Install the jack stands and then do the same to the front. Lowering is just the revers order...

Cheers,

Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
My sockets are demarked as 3/4" which *is* 19 millimeters. Sorry for the confusion.
I do torque to 90 ft/lbs, which is very close to 96...
Joe

Old 10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Oh, and if you're going to do lots of wheel off-and-ons, you might consider
switching to studs and nuts. I did.