996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Luxury Motors---Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Luxury Motors---Help

Hey guys, I have my 993 for sale and have been having very strange e-mail communicatins from a guy named Gannay Moore. Anyone recognize him? The first e-mail had an address from Luxury Motors saying he had a client interested in my car. Never heard back from him for about 3 weeks and then he says the check is in the mail for the full asking price plus $4500. I am supposed to deduct the $4500 and wire it to the shipping company. I told him I would not release the car until the check cleared the bank. Every time I e-mail him to ask for details, he sends back like a "form" e-mail, that is a copy of an old e-mail that I have sent him. Anyone run into this before. All e-mails after the first one have an e-mail address of "gannay_5000@yahoo.com What do you make of it? If I receive a check and it clears my bank, I will be glad to sell my car to who ever.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 PM
ToddMcF2002 will become famous soon enough
Luxury Motors has a terrible reputation. Be careful.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Hey guys, I have my 993 for sale and have been having very strange e-mail communicatins from a guy named Gannay Moore. Anyone recognize him? The first e-mail had an address from Luxury Motors saying he had a client interested in my car. Never heard back from him for about 3 weeks and then he says the check is in the mail for the full asking price plus $4500. I am supposed to deduct the $4500 and wire it to the shipping company. I told him I would not release the car until the check cleared the bank. Every time I e-mail him to ask for details, he sends back like a "form" e-mail, that is a copy of an old e-mail that I have sent him. Anyone run into this before. All e-mails after the first one have an e-mail address of "gannay_5000@yahoo.com What do you make of it? If I receive a check and it clears my bank, I will be glad to sell my car to who ever.
Land Jet, I work for the largest enclosed auto transporter in the country and we NEVER demand money wired to us or prepaid for shipment. We pick up and once we have the car , we have a lien on it. Cash, certified funds or credit card will release the vehicle. This sounds fishy. Kevin

Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 PM
ErikV10 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad stuff about LM. I haven't had any transactions with them though so don't take my word for it.

Another thing, if Gannay Moore is a LM employee, he should at least use a @luxurymotors.com email address or something like that because he is dealing under that company.

And yes, don't give the car until you have the money.

Regards,
ErikV10

Last edited by ErikV10; 10-31-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:30 PM
arcticsilver997 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a scam to me.... Why would you pay someone "extra" and expect them you pay you back?!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
It's a scam. You deposit the check, then wire the money. The check bounces and you're out the money you were supposed to wire for shipping. They're just counting on you to wire the money before the check bounces.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Jeff_NJ is a jewel in the roughJeff_NJ is a jewel in the roughJeff_NJ is a jewel in the rough
SCAM!!!

Look at the 4th email from the bottom on this website - same guy!!

http://www.classiccarfair.com/scamalert.htm

and this one:

http://www.herps4sale.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2137

and this one:

http://forums.stangnet.com/archive/i.../t-701563.html

simple google search of his name turned these up. Run away! Run away!!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 PM
.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by medici78
It's a scam. You deposit the check, then wire the money. The check bounces and you're out the money you were supposed to wire for shipping. They're just counting on you to wire the money before the check bounces.
If I remember right, usually this type of check 'clears' then is pulled at a later time.

This is how so many people have gotten 409 screwed.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 PM
ErikV10 is on a distinguished road
Great find, Jeff!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:39 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by .bg.
If I remember right, usually this type of check 'clears' then is pulled at a later time.

This is how so many people have gotten 409 screwed.
Yeah, I wasn't sure how the mechanism works. The constant is that the victim is always screwed out of the difference.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:55 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Jeff, thanks alot for the tip. I owe you dinner if we ever meet. This could have cost me. Only thing I don't understand is, how can they pull the check at a later time if it has cleared my bank? Any bankers on here?

Last edited by landjet; 10-31-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Jeff_NJ is a jewel in the roughJeff_NJ is a jewel in the roughJeff_NJ is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by landjet
Jeff, thanks alot for the tip. I owe you dinner if we ever meet. This could have cost me. Only thing I don't understand is, how can they pull the check at a later time if it has cleared my bank? Any bankers on here?

no problem.
Happy to help out a fellow 6speeder. It's what this place is all about.

BTW - I'll stop eating now so if we do ever meet, I will be REAL hungry

As far as the check clearing goes, just because your bank made the funds available a couple days after you deposited it doesnt mean the check is good. The scam works because the issuing bank determines, sometimes weeks later, that it is a forgery and you are then out the money.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
haha deffinately scam!!! but how can the check clear and then they yank it ? how does that work?? what if when it clears u can cash it right away...

Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by unvmym3
haha deffinately scam!!! but how can the check clear and then they yank it ? how does that work?? what if when it clears u can cash it right away...
Dont confuse your bank releasing the funds with the issuing bank clearing the check. If the issuing bank bounces the check, they go to your bank and get their funds back, then your bank takes it from your account. I guess you could cash it and run, but it better be a lot of money to make it worth being a fugitive.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:24 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
What happens is the bank will show your acount credited because of your good standing but when it turns up fake they will come after you...and JUST because it may appear on your balence DOESN'T mean you have access to it...they are just reflecting your deposit. It's usually a out of county or state cashiers check and then up to a couple of weeks later....they find out it's fake. The scam works because people see the new balence reflecting the amount deposited.....so they believe the transaction is complete....only to find out later they are screwed.

Chris

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Luxury Motors---Help