996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which Car? Nissan GTR or Corvette ZR1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:30 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Which Car? Nissan GTR or Corvette ZR1

Which one should I buy?

They both sound freaky amazing and neither should be doing what they are doing (ok, Corvette, perhaps, but Nissan setting Loop Lap times? Wrong).

One is light (vette, and has lots of CF and sounds pretty amazing) the other is a brick (3800lbs) and has lots of cool electronics to make it do it's thang.

The GTR is only a fraction slower than the CGT despite it only have 480 hp and weighing a lot more.

So... two super cars... which one?

Seth

Old 02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
[quote=Indykid;1660011]
Originally Posted by SlowMotion

The GTR is only a fraction slower than the CGT despite it only have 480 hp and weighing a lot more.
/quote]

That statement is not accurate.
Ok... fair... let me rephrase that then... so out of all the producton cars on the WHOLE planet the CGT (limited production) is the only one faster.

Seth.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough

That statement is not accurate, and I think you may have posted in the wrong section.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Indykid
That statement is not accurate, and I think you may have posted in the wrong section.
It is fairly accurate actually (the CGT is the only sort-of production car that is faster) and no, I did not post wrong section. I drive a 996 Turbo, this is my section, these are my peeps in here.

Seth

Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
[quote=SlowMotion;1660013]

Ok... fair... let me rephrase that then... so out of all the producton cars on the WHOLE planet the CGT (limited production) is the only one faster.

Seth.
I don't think that statement is accurate either.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
[quote=Indykid;1660018]

I don't think that statement is accurate either.
I'm talking Nuremburg (spelling) loop times.... I'm not talking "top speed" here. The GTR also hits 60mph in 3.5 seconds.

I already own a few Porsches, I'm not getting rid of any of those, I'm talking about adding one of the above.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:44 AM
[quote=SlowMotion;1660022]

I'm talking Nuremburg (spelling) loop times.... I'm not talking "top speed" here. The GTR also hits 60mph in 3.5 seconds.

I already own a few Porsches, I'm not getting rid of any of those, I'm talking about adding one of the above.

I thought that the gtr ring times where exaggerated for the car and when a third party tested it they could only muster up a 7.50, sorta like the c6 z07 ring times.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
[quote=Indykid;1660025]

I thought that the gtr ring times where exaggerated for the car and when a third party tested it they could only muster up a 7.50, sorta like the c6 z07 ring times.
I suppose it depends on the drivers I guess.. I'm assuming everyone uses their best. Lord knows Porsche does!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Banned
mbphreak is on a distinguished road
I'm bias. GTR ftw.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
That is a foolish question, ZR-1. Maybe I am just a Vette fan boy.... yeah, definitely! :P

Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by mbphreak
I'm bias. GTR ftw.
I'm bias too, Porsche FTW!!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM
SleeperX is on a distinguished road
It is fairly accurate actually (the CGT is the only sort-of production car that is faster) and no, I did not post wrong section. I drive a 996 Turbo, this is my section, these are my peeps in here.

Seth
Yes, I believe it is inaccurate. Isn't the GT2 faster?

"With a Nordschleife lap time of 7:38, the GT-R is just 6 seconds slower than a Porsche Carrera GT. (Photo by Barry Hayden)"
source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123066

"Porsche has revealed that its new Porsche 911 GT2 has gone around the Nurburgring in 7:32 as compared to the Ferrari F430 which did the track in 7:55. The Lamborghini Gallardo SE does a round of the Nurburgring in 7:57 while the Ferrari 599 GTB makes it around in 7:59."
source: http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/08/09...32-new-images/

Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Hmm ... I dunno, I hear ....from a lil birdie ... that a K16/k24 that makes 600hp to the wheels with some funky gas ... I think I'd rather have that

Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

Seth.

This statement isnt even close to true, there are several cars faster than the GT-R. And you havent specified a performance criteria. If lap times only I can assure you of several cars that will beat the GT-R on a track.

And I'm leaving out the other exotics.

CGT - (faster at ring)
997 GT2 - (faster at ring, even faster than nissan with sport auto driving)
996 GT2 - (faster sport auto time)
GT3 - (tested in traffic, give walter some clean laps and I'd bet he would beat the GT-R time)
ZR-1 - (no brainer)
Z06 - (aweful tires, standing start ran 7:42, will demolish a GT-R on track)
Viper SRT - (gut feeling on this one as it's right on par with the Z06)
08 Viper - (faster than Z06, nuff said)
Viper ACR - (pure pwnage here)
997 TT with equal treadwear tires.

And if you want straight line speed

CGT - (trapped 128-130 mph)
GT2 - (996 or 997) (both trapping 120's in less than ideal conditions)
Z06 - (trapped 128)
ZR-1 - (will trap 130 or higher)
Viper - (trapped 123)
08' Viper - (will trap 130 likely)
Viper ACR - (will trap mid-high 120's with the added downforce)
997 TT - (even to faster)

You need to stop buying into the fanboy hype or you will end up sorely dissapointed.

Last edited by heavychevy; 02-05-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
Hmm ... I dunno, I hear ....from a lil birdie ... that a K16/k24 that makes 600hp to the wheels with some funky gas ... I think I'd rather have that
For a 16/24 car to make 600whp you would def. need some really funky gas, something like NAWZZZ!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which Car? Nissan GTR or Corvette ZR1