996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

tire question for the ages ;-)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
tire question for the ages ;-)

In everyone's opinion...will NOT using R compound tires keep me from progressing up the DE food chain?

Right now, I am looking at R888's....means more wear, more expense, extra wheels, possible finding someone to haul them for me to a track (I drive there) or risk having a worn tire and a drive home that is 200+ miles....

What am I thinking....realize I may be giving up a second or so a lap, but use PS2's. More wear, better bad weather insurance.....and not a bad tire....probably more forgiving.

I have really narrowed my plans onto one of these options:

Sucking it up and getting track tires for a lot of $$$ and realizing that I might get stranded at the track if I wear them out (as I drive to and from).

or

Going PS2 and not being as fast as I could be.

If the latter is not critical to making it up the food chain, I am willing to compromise to make the drive to and from a bit easier.....

Bonus question: the tech guy at the dealer said to me that tracking my street tires trashed them...they dried up as I "used up all the moisturizers" in the tire. Huh? What is this about?

Thanks guys.

JB

Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Jergens has several moisturizing products.....but I believe they need to be applied immeadiately following each run group.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
You could always drag a tire trailer:

Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Let's say a trailer and a roof rack are not in my window of what I want to do....just me ok....I know, I know...it would work. But for me, the drive to and from the track is actually a fun thing too.....

I love the driving..all of it.

(not saying anyone else doesn't....)

Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
You could always drag a tire trailer:

Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
just get some cups?

They lasted me for nearly a year or just on off driving everywhere/to the track and even in the rain. I KNOW they last for a long time and are still fun on the track. I would say get another set of wheels for them, change them out before you head to the track, track, come back, and put the streets on again...youll be fine.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:40 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
You have already laid out the upsides & downsides correctly.
Keep in mind also....for the 200 mile highway trip there-n-back that you need to take their pressure way up, or the highway will take it's toll on the cups before you get there (36/44 might be suggested). Also, highway in the wet can make your trip take twice as long....you'll get there but allow time.

Are there any local speed shops or people w/trailers that you could pay a few bucks to haul your track rims?

On the other side of the coin......there's plenty that can be learned (and enjoyed) on PS2s....they are superior to 95% of the tires on the road......they can handle the speed.....and they talk to ya when Rs will not.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys....the key is if I can progress without impediment with the PS2's....cups are good too...and I might take up seschgang's advice (which he has been patient with....my issues ). I just worry about the drive to and from, and the rain question....just me.

Hey, I can always blame the PS2's if I don't drive as fast as others.

Anyway, if one were to put a number on the PS2...what percentage is it of the R888 or the MPC? 75% or 95%....if the latter, I'd stick to the PS2. If the former, it is probably worth the pain in the toosh to deal with the cups.

JB

Originally Posted by GreggT
You have already laid out the upsides & downsides correctly.
Keep in mind also....for the 200 mile highway trip there-n-back that you need to take their pressure way up, or the highway will take it's toll on the cups before you get there (36/44 might be suggested). Also, highway in the wet can make your trip take twice as long....you'll get there but allow time.

Are there any local speed shops or people w/trailers that you could pay a few bucks to haul your track rims?

On the other side of the coin......there's plenty that can be learned (and enjoyed) on PS2s....they are superior to 95% of the tires on the road......they can handle the speed.....and they talk to ya when Rs will not.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
the PS2's are fine and you will progress without difficulty in DE on them. Dont worry about your times. You should be worried about being smooth and safe and speed will follow. DO NO TIME YOURSELF. You are out there to have fun and develop your skills. You can become an instructor with street tires, R compounds are not needed.
Stop stressing and stick with the PS2's.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tom kerr
the PS2's are fine and you will progress without difficulty in DE on them. Dont worry about your times. You should be worried about being smooth and safe and speed will follow. DO NO TIME YOURSELF. You are out there to have fun and develop your skills. You can become an instructor with street tires, R compounds are not needed.
I agree with Tom... IMO, Using street tires will allow you to learn faster and become a driver IMO. Instead of sticky R-comps where you will feel like superman and mask your mistakes more.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Listen to Tom.
You will trash your street tires on the track So what ?... but not because of moisture that is ridiculous .

Elliot

Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Tom knows what he's saying

As usual, I agree with Tom on this issue. The purpose of DE is to learn to exercise the limits your car, to learn about line and control under various conditions, etc. You already have a car that is faster than almost everyone else's anyway.

I once drove from Mid-Ohio to near Indianapolis in a heavy rain on R-compound tires (the old R1's on my '87 911). I could never get over 40 mph the entire trip, and even then I was on the ragged edge most of the time. I got the trailer after that ride.

R-compound tires decrease your lap times, but they don't necessarily make you learn any quicker. Sometimes, the higher speed will get you into trouble you don't yet know how to handle. Spend your money on more seat time.

Are you going to Mid-Ohio DE May 15-16?

Jon

Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
JCB,

The PS2's work surprisingly well at the track,
I will do a couple of events on them this year.

Good luck,

Marty K.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr

Thank you!

For the record: I never actually timed myself at VIR. I "guess" I am a lot slower than anyone else on the forum, so I figured why waste the time to "time myself" when I need every second.

Seriously, this is what I needed to hear. Thank you everyone. PS2 and just learn and be smooth.

I got the 10$ 997 turbo ducts (search on silvershark)....ebc reds for pads (dual purpose and affordable)...Castrol SRF fluid (overkill, but I am into safety overkill), and CG locks.

I'll do PS2's on hollows for the wheels and just pay for tires as needed....

I would be interested in people's experiences with the PS2 at DE's....how do you rotate, pressures, temps you have seen, miles they last, etc..size used.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-08-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
As usual, I agree with Tom on this issue. The purpose of DE is to learn to exercise the limits your car, to learn about line and control under various conditions, etc. You already have a car that is faster than almost everyone else's anyway.

I once drove from Mid-Ohio to near Indianapolis in a heavy rain on R-compound tires (the old R1's on my '87 911). I could never get over 40 mph the entire trip, and even then I was on the ragged edge most of the time. I got the trailer after that ride.

R-compound tires decrease your lap times, but they don't necessarily make you learn any quicker. Sometimes, the higher speed will get you into trouble you don't yet know how to handle. Spend your money on more seat time.

Are you going to Mid-Ohio DE May 15-16?

Jon
Pocono 17 and 18th...RTR. Pending review per motorsportreg.com. JB

Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Pocono 17 and 18th...RTR. Pending review per motorsportreg.com. JB
ill be there!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tire question for the ages ;-)