996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Viscous Coupler Blown!! Rwd Here I Come!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Cool Viscous Coupler Blown!! Rwd Here I Come!!

Well last track event car handled poorly. First time at Sebring with the new K24 Protomotive hybrids. Car kept breaking loose in the corners. I thought it was due to the added power. Also I dont drive with the PSM on.
Well took the car to the dyno several days ago to fine tune the AFR's, well guess what it was an AWD dyno and the front wheels didnt turn!
Back at the shop found out the viscous coupler was gone and was more like I had one wheel drive last track event!
I have been toying with the RWD conversion up to now but now seems like a no brainer.
the viscous coupler repair with be 1k + and I get no upgrade.
If I go RWD, will put in the Guard LSD at 50/80 lock up take all the AWD crap and weight out and take this opportunity to throw in a front sway bar which in the past would have been a PITA but will be accessible now.
Let ya know how it goes......................

tom

Old 04-30-2008, 01:53 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Tom do it man, I know you will do it RIGHT... You upgrade any rear suspension components too? Throw in some toe links for the rear!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Tom do it man, I know you will do it RIGHT... You upgrade any rear suspension components too? Throw in some toe links for the rear!
thanks for the support Martin, already have the rear toe links, camber plates, sway bar and JIC coil overs with very heavy springs.

I think car should handle better. At 450hp wasnt a big deal but as you approach 600hp at track events I am hoping I will turn faster times with the RWD

Old 04-30-2008, 03:03 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Sucks that your coupler blew Tom. Seems like you get a lot of stuff we hardly hear of around here. Do you think it was the tires you were running?

Either way, sounds like fun, let us know how you like it. Should help a lot on the low speed corners, but will be a little less confidence inspiring on the high speed. At least that's what I got from it.

Since you've been driving essentially rwd already with no LSD, let me know of the LSD adds any push.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Interesting Tom,

Anxious to hear how a true track junky like you will like the conversion.

MK

Old 04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Hi Tom, if you don't have any use for the old viscous coupler, I'd like
it. Let me. know who quoted the rebuild too. I might have them
rebuild it and send it to me.
thanks
Joe (who is running on a second-hand front differential unit)

viscous coupler = front diff right?

(I want to have a completely rebuilt A-1 front diff in reserve)

Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
With a 50/80 I hope you don't plan to drive the car on the street. 50% is a little much for a street car on accel.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:04 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
thanks for the support Martin, already have the rear toe links, camber plates, sway bar and JIC coil overs with very heavy springs.

I think car should handle better. At 450hp wasnt a big deal but as you approach 600hp at track events I am hoping I will turn faster times with the RWD
NICE, this will set your car off then Tom, trust me, do it! You are MUCH more then capable to handle the car at your power level and turn fast times around the track without getting into some serious trouble, it makes the experience and car that much more pure/fun!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 PM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Smile Rwd

I have the Guard LSD, but haven't had enough hair on my backside
to go RWD. I will be very interested in your findings and your opinion.
Keep us posted...Good Luck Tom

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Hi Tom, if you don't have any use for the old viscous coupler, I'd like
it. Let me. know who quoted the rebuild too. I might have them
rebuild it and send it to me.
thanks
Joe (who is running on a second-hand front differential unit)

viscous coupler = front diff right?

(I want to have a completely rebuilt A-1 front diff in reserve)
Joe, I am no car mechanic but I think the coupler is in the front of the tranny and is not the same as the front diff. You have to open the tranny to get it out and it is not easy. The LSD goes in while the tranny stays in place.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by silvershark
I have the Guard LSD, but haven't had enough hair on my backside
to go RWD. I will be very interested in your findings and your opinion.
Keep us posted...Good Luck Tom
Thanks I will let you know!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
NICE, this will set your car off then Tom, trust me, do it! You are MUCH more then capable to handle the car at your power level and turn fast times around the track without getting into some serious trouble, it makes the experience and car that much more pure/fun!
Martin I really am looking forward to this and I hope this improves my driving skills.
Want to run a Cup car some day so maybe this will be a good link for me

Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by ZLP
With a 50/80 I hope you don't plan to drive the car on the street. 50% is a little much for a street car on accel.
limited at most but this is what I was told to run and I am not sure how this really is decided so any help or comments you may have I would appreciate.

car is 90% track but I will occassionally drive it to and from the track about 125 miles each way. will that be a problem??

Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tom kerr
limited at most but this is what I was told to run and I am not sure how this really is decided so any help or comments you may have I would appreciate.

car is 90% track but I will occassionally drive it to and from the track about 125 miles each way. will that be a problem??
I would stick with a 40/80 and that should be nice and aggressive for the track and still OK for the street. It is an easy change when its out of the car because its just the discs in the dif that are changed.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Oh, OK Tom. Aren't you going to remove your front diff anyway?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Viscous Coupler Blown!! Rwd Here I Come!!