996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

k24/18g vs Garretts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:47 PM
996ttDMB is infamous around these parts996ttDMB is infamous around these parts
Smile k24/18g vs Garretts

Why are the newer kits seeming to go with the garrett style turbo over the 24/18? is it flow, cost, potential output, spool or all the above. I have sat on the fence for awhile and want to move forward and want to make the right decision as far as a starting point kit that has the ability for more power (as in 750+HP). I have talked to Dan, Todd and Tym and have been impressed with them all which makes the decision tough. Any help would be appreciated, I want to order something monday.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
It is pure preference... the tuners sell what they develop.... some liek diferect replacement turbos and some force you to do custom headers, water liens etc....

You will have many posts going both ways... there is no right answer...
Also, a turbo choice is only one part of the tuning kit... many other factors play into the the build...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-03-2008, 04:17 PM
TRK
TRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to behold
Great question...
We do k24/18g's out of pure simplicity. They're direct replacements, no mods to oil lines, water cooling, turbo sumps, hothousings, etc. necessary. It's as close to a factory upgrade as you'll get. We've also converted quite a few garrett cars back to k24/18g's because the clients didn't like the 'overresponsive' nature of the little gt28's. They had a terrible time modulating the throttle on the race track. The tiny turbine in the gt28 makes it want to have full boost at 1/4 throttle.
When we do Garrett's, we're typically doing gt3076r, gt35r, etc. Anything smaller than that, we stick with the k24's. or for quick street power, a k16/16g is a nice little turbo.
Anyhow, like Markski said. It's really up to what you want the car to do, how you like it to drive and what turbo should fit your particular application, not just kkk vs. Garrett....

Old 05-03-2008, 04:34 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
How much of an increase in horsepower do you achieve with a set of 24/18s over a set of flashed K24s (pump 93)? Is it just an increase in spool time or an actual hp increase?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:49 PM
TRK
TRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to beholdTRK is a splendid one to behold
A stock k24 has a 30lb compressor. We're putting a 40lb compressor on them. We find that the 996tt engine produces about 9.25hp/lb/min of air, so a stock k24 with 30lbs/min of air times two of course can make about 30x2x9.25=555hp at the crank before it runs out of air and maintains some sort of efficiency. The k24/18g with 40lbs available is good for 40x2x9.25=740hp at the crank. Then, depending on the chassis dyno you're on will be anyones guess as to the power at the wheels.... Assuming a 12-15% loss for generic stuff would net you just sub 500's at the tires with k24's, where the 18g's have been good for 630-650whp.
Turbo for turbo, the response is very similar for the k24 and the k24/18g. However, with a good exhaust, nice tune and a low restriction air filter, we vastly improve the boost response over the factory k24's in stock condition.
Just ask PaulieWalnuts about his recent experience with 'tweety' when we did the k24/18g kit on his Gt2 at the TX2K8 event ;p

Old 05-03-2008, 04:55 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TRK
A stock k24 has a 30lb compressor. We're putting a 40lb compressor on them. We find that the 996tt engine produces about 9.25hp/lb/min of air, so a stock k24 with 30lbs/min of air times two of course can make about 30x2x9.25=555hp at the crank before it runs out of air and maintains some sort of efficiency. The k24/18g with 40lbs available is good for 40x2x9.25=740hp at the crank. Then, depending on the chassis dyno you're on will be anyones guess as to the power at the wheels.... Assuming a 12-15% loss for generic stuff would net you just sub 500's at the tires with k24's, where the 18g's have been good for 630-650whp.
Turbo for turbo, the response is very similar for the k24 and the k24/18g. However, with a good exhaust, nice tune and a low restriction air filter, we vastly improve the boost response over the factory k24's in stock condition.
Just ask PaulieWalnuts about his recent experience with 'tweety' when we did the k24/18g kit on his Gt2 at the TX2K8 event ;p
Is that at 1.2 bar?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
From what Paul has said is that the car is incredibly fast and if I remember he said its not laggy at all.

I almost wish I would have done K24/18's because of the little amount of lag, but I also want to make 700-750whp in the future so Im going to have to deal with the lag.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:01 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I will have a answer real soon when i meet up w/ Dr Jitsu who has gt28's. My car w/ 24/18's spool way faster than stock 24's. Be sure you are pointed stright before nailing it.Todd's 24/18's kit is very impressive.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Blah, Blah, Blah....I challenged both of you ladies to a run tonight. But both of you will be home removing sand from your manginas

Old 05-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
BTW, Paulie, I am loading up the whole family in the CTT tonight, since no one wants to play, and heading out to the meet at Frank N Steins.. Why don't you bring KO Ko and she can play w/ Mindy (Paulie and I just got puppies).

Old 05-03-2008, 05:19 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
If you guys are running tonight I am in!!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:21 PM
No one wanted to go Rob, so I am doing the family thing. Paulie, Chris, and I are all evenly matched. Your car, of course is on another level. However I will go. I don't care if I loose, I just love to have some fun.

Back to the OT, Todd, can you put bigger compressors in GT 28's?

Old 05-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
I have stock k24's on my mercedes CL600TT I wonder if something like this would work on my current tune. OK sorry to hijack pcar guys

Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Rob, I called and left a message.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:46 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Sean
You should buy the 24/18 that Chris has at his house... the difference in the turbos if I remember correctly is like 45 mm vs 50 mm in size... with your fuel system you would gain another 50 rwhp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you are not friendly with my builder however he could put these on and have it reprogram with Todd!!! Then YOU would have the fastest GT2 in H town!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Robert

PS what time are you going to F-S

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: k24/18g vs Garretts