996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who here wrenches 100% on their car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Who here wrenches 100% on their car?

I've been looking at a lot of threads and it seems like there's a lot of DIY'ers on here, which is great as I barely trust anyone but myself with my cars.

My main question is, has anyone successfully worked on their engine, without a lift? Is it even remotelly possible to remove the drivetrain without a lift(I noticed my cherrypicker will be useless)? Or do I need to look for a new house with a garage big enough to host a lift?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
engine will need to be dropped, not lifted, as you've stated. to do so, i think you'll need a lift to raise the car high enough. obviously, you'll need engine hoist/jack to raise/lower the engine from under the car.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:15 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adam699
Or do I need to look for a new house with a garage big enough to host a lift?
You might need a new neck if you do manage to drop the engine and work on it without a lift.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM will become famous soon enough
Hi... You will need a lift, engine cart, trans jack, and an array of specialty tools... That is for 996's
Tim

Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
OK. So a comment.

I suspect you can count on ONE HAND the number of people here who wrench "100%". Why?

Read this: http://www.imagineauto.com/996TTbuild.htm

Once you recognize what is required- only tooling- you realize there aren't many folks with that calling. Indeed, fewer when you subtract those 'in the business'.

I'd say even if you do 50%, you need to find a 12'1" garage ceiling, and drop in a lift!

A

Old 07-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Now that my lift is working again, I'm doing as much as possible myself... Why? I will know if I scratched it. I will know if a job is done properly. I will know that my car isn't in a crowded lot getting bumped, getting abused by some service lackey or tech.

If something MAJOR lets go, I'll use my aftermarket warranty. Until then, I'll continue doing my own stuff...

Mike

Old 07-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You mean something like this?

Mike

Originally Posted by ard
OK. So a comment.

I suspect you can count on ONE HAND the number of people here who wrench "100%". Why?

Read this: http://www.imagineauto.com/996TTbuild.htm

Once you recognize what is required- only tooling- you realize there aren't many folks with that calling. Indeed, fewer when you subtract those 'in the business'.

I'd say even if you do 50%, you need to find a 12'1" garage ceiling, and drop in a lift!

A

Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mike
Show Off!

But I do wish I have something like yours.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:08 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Now that my lift is working again, I'm doing as much as possible myself... Why? I will know if I scratched it. I will know if a job is done properly. I will know that my car isn't in a crowded lot getting bumped, getting abused by some service lackey or tech.

If something MAJOR lets go, I'll use my aftermarket warranty. Until then, I'll continue doing my own stuff...

Mike
100% agree with you. Your philosophy on this is shared by many here... it is just a matter of degree- where you say "I give" and take it in will vary from each of us, but the basic motivation is that we can do at least as good a job, and with more care. (Hey, betcha wish you'd done that on the last adventure... but in a way, at the end of the day, you've acquired knowledge that will extend your abilities in a significant way, painful as it may be)

When you look at that engine build, you have no choice but to be a bit humbled. At least I do. THAT is "100% of your wrenching"!

A

Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Well here's what I know I would do...

I would remove my motor
I would remove my transaxle
I would remove my front axle/diff
I would remove all suspension components
I would remove my own brake system components
I would remove any body panel required on this car
I will do my own alignments starting this week

I would NOT rebuild one of these motors myself. I expect that there are many tips of the trade that are hidden in these motors that can make or break a proper build. I'd "consider" rebuilding my own trans, depending on the information and support my tuner and local indy could provide.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM will become famous soon enough
Well here's what I know I would do...

I would remove my motor
I would remove my transaxle
I would remove my front axle/diff
I would remove all suspension components
I would remove my own brake system components
I would remove any body panel required on this car
I will do my own alignments starting this week

I would NOT rebuild one of these motors myself. I expect that there are many tips of the trade that are hidden in these motors that can make or break a proper build. I'd "consider" rebuilding my own trans, depending on the information and support my tuner and local indy could provide.
Would you be interested in purchasing a built short block consisting of:

Modified Cases
GT3RSR Oil Pump
New Bearings
Seals
Carillo Rods
New Pistons/ Rings/ 3.6 Cylinder liner
Upgraded Head Gaskets
Studs
Your choice of porting - stock/ stage 1 / stage 2

All based around a core exchange.?

Old 07-23-2008, 03:00 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of

Mike
Sweet.... Dream Car garage.

I do 20% of the work at my house (Battery, DV's, Wastegate alterations, custom flash programming, wash, wax, air filter).

Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 AM
Not at this time. My motor seems to be running well without issues. It's got 19K on the clock and its motor mod days are over. I won't be upgrading beyond the power it currently has, so I "should" be OK.

Mike

Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
Would you be interested in purchasing a built short block consisting of:

Modified Cases
GT3RSR Oil Pump
New Bearings
Seals
Carillo Rods
New Pistons/ Rings/ 3.6 Cylinder liner
Upgraded Head Gaskets
Studs
Your choice of porting - stock/ stage 1 / stage 2

All based around a core exchange.?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:07 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
I'm with Mike. I'll pretty much handle anything with the exception of cracking the motor or cracking the code...

The "biggest" thing I have had to do is a new clutch, slave, etc..yeah whatta *****...and don't even ask but I put the ring gear in BACKWARDS so I have done TWO clutches! I have done a 24/18 conversion solo but that wasn't difficult. Something like that most people can do in their garage. Tranny and/or clutch stuff...., lift, tranny jack, etc are all but required....

I just don't trust the dealer to fix something better than I can, given their philosophy of simply throwing parts at a problem until they fix it. To me, that is nothing more than throwing money at the problem. My money.

I only wish I had someone like IA around here!

I'll try to get some shots of the shop and lifts posted....I think you guys will like them...