996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Type 1 and Type 2 Over revs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Personally, I would continue to look around since nothing seems to be known about the car's history, ECU tune, etc.. The overrevs don't really bother me, per se. It's just all the unknowns like was proper fuel used with what boost levels, etc... There could be absolutely nothing wrong and for the right price, it could be a great catch. A leak down test has been suggested. At least do that if seriously considering.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Personally, I would continue to look around since nothing seems to be known about the car's history, ECU tune, etc.. The overrevs don't really bother me, per se. It's just all the unknowns like was proper fuel used with what boost levels, etc... There could be absolutely nothing wrong and for the right price, it could be a great catch. A leak down test has been suggested. At least do that if seriously considering.
I was going to do a PPI; but if you guys say keep looking then i'll keep looking, I don't want to buy a potential problem.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Can someone help me understand why these Type II "Over revs" are actually significant from a Car's health perspective. If an Over rev is every time the driver hits the end stop (Rev Limit), aren't they meaningless? What I Mean here is the rev limiter is there to prevent damage to the engine, ergo if you hit it, and it does it's job there is no damage or worry.

These engines are designed to rev a lot higher than the 6750 limits, so we are no where near any damage zones.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

SWR