996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT3 Tequipment Roll Bar fitment in 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Silver_911 is on a distinguished road
GT3 Tequipment Roll Bar fitment in 996TT

Need a simple question answered, I have the chance to buy a Tequipment Roll Bar out of a 2004 GT3 for my 2003 996TT, will it fit ?? I am worried that since GT3 has no back seat that the bar will be a little to tall for the TT.

I have searched the forums and it sounds like I'm okay, but I called the local dealer and they show different part numbers for a 996 couple and a 996 GT2/GT3. They said there was no indication which part was right for the 996TT.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:30 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
It will fit... but how tall are you? It's really designed to work with 996GT3 seats/fixed back. Someone that's taller than 5'10 wishing to recline the stock seats isn't going to work. You'd need an RSS bar or something of that sort for stock seats that's built for that.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm short ...5'6" ... I was worried that the vertical support (bolts into the rear seatbelt holes) would be to tall for the TT. One last question, do I need to pull out all the rear seat interior ?? I have already removed the folding back rests and the bottom cushions, all that is back there now is the carpet molded tubs.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:42 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Silver_911
I'm short ...5'6" ... I was worried that the vertical support (bolts into the rear seatbelt holes) would be to tall for the TT. One last question, do I need to pull out all the rear seat interior ?? I have already removed the folding back rests and the bottom cushions, all that is back there now is the carpet molded tubs.
You'll probably be fine then in terms of room. The gt3's fitment is more natural than the TT. There are some plastic grooves/parts that need to be cut/pushed in so that you can line it up properly but that's usually the case with any bar on the market. It's a tight squeeze so if you're doing a DIY make sure you have a second pair of hands. I'd pull out the rear seat since it'd be useless at that point but it doesn't "have" to be removed.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I'm giving it a shot myself. I was thinking I needed to remove the backseat tub to get it in. Guess I'll take a deep breath and go slow.

Thanks again

Old 12-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
I did my own a few months back without help. You will definitely need to remove the rear view mirror to get the bar to lean far enough forward. Also, there are some plastic covers under the carpet just behind the door openings that will need to be cut/clearanced for the main downtubes to have enough room to bolt to the mounts. Other than those 2 things the install is very straight forward and probably won't take more than 2 or3 hours even when you include the beer factor

Old 12-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'm amazed that a "porsche" specific product requires so much modification to work. The DaSport bar I have didn't require any of that, and was very easy to install with the front seats removed and the rear seats folded down.

No cutting and trimming of anything...

Mike
Mike

Old 12-14-2008, 12:34 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The TQ bar is a ***** to install, proceed carefully. Much easier if you have somebody around who has done the install before.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:31 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
^^^^ I agree!!! It took me 8 hours to install a Tequipment bar in my 02 996TT! I was by myself working in a hot garage with high 90's outside. I was not a happy camper! Take the driver seat loose and slide it forward. Remove the passenger seat completely and remove you mirror from the windshield on the bar will do it for you... I found out the hard way! Carefully slide the bar into the car from the passenger side. Try to start the front bolts first... then the rears. If you strip a thread... the bolts are american... also found out the hard way! Ace is the place! Then tighten everything down, reinstall your seats & mirror... and wipe your brow and enjoy the sight. You may need to put a small amount of silicone on the spacers at the front if the bar rattles! Enjoy in good health and pray you never NEED the bar!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'm amazed that a "porsche" specific product requires so much modification to work. The DaSport bar I have didn't require any of that, and was very easy to install with the front seats removed and the rear seats folded down.

No cutting and trimming of anything...

Mike
Mike
I hear you Mike but the issue is the bar was only meant for the 996GT3 chassis and interior hence the modifications...

Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 PM
TwinT is on a distinguished road
Agreed its a ***** to fit, I have just fitted mine.

This helped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI2eZjKpYd4

Remove plastic parts of seat belt (top)
- remove cloth hanger
- remove top anchor point of seat belt
- remove B-Pillar panel
- unscrew side panel (the one with the speaker)
- remove side panel to access the floor carpet
- unhook carpet from plastic sill panel
- take a jig saw and modify plastic panel according to the template delivered with the instructions
- put everything together again (without cloth hanger and belt parts).

Only after that you should lift the roll bar into the car and continue with the installation of the bar itself.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:38 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sharkster
I hear you Mike but the issue is the bar was only meant for the 996GT3 chassis and interior hence the modifications...
P.S: I never had to trim or cut anything... but it sure was a tough fit!!! You will have to pull & push the bar to get the bolts to line up everywhere!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Here is a update on how I did so far.

Removed the seats, rear view mirror, coat hangers and seat belt height adjustment covers.

- Slid the bar into the car
- Used ratchet straps to help pull the bar into shape to get it in place.
- Bolted up the rear vertical supports into place (no problem here).
- The roll bar footings that should bolt up to the front seat belt bolts are
close but the plastic molding is keeping the bar to far away from where is should bolt into the body to get the supplied bolts in place.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 AM
TwinT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Silver_911
Here is a update on how I did so far.

Removed the seats, rear view mirror, coat hangers and seat belt height adjustment covers.

- Slid the bar into the car
- Used ratchet straps to help pull the bar into shape to get it in place.
- Bolted up the rear vertical supports into place (no problem here).
- The roll bar footings that should bolt up to the front seat belt bolts are
close but the plastic molding is keeping the bar to far away from where is should bolt into the body to get the supplied bolts in place.
Tony, you need to take the door trim off and cut the plastic so the roll bar can be pushed all the way down.

The roll bar fixes to some fixing points further back in the car, not the seat belt points.

I hope this helps but if not watch the vid I posted further up.

Cheers

Lee

ETA I have GT3 seats so my seat belt fixings are to the seat frames.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I watched that youtube post ... it was VERY Helpful !!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Tequipment Roll Bar fitment in 996TT