996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

any special tools to do brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM
wowgogs is on a distinguished road
any special tools to do brakes

I am thinking about changing my own rotors and pads on my 2002 996TT
I have never done them before on a Porsche, done many on other vehicles thou.
Is this smart? Do I need any special tools? Do the calipers push in with clamp or do I need a special tool to turn them in.

Thanks

Old 12-31-2008, 06:12 PM
SeattleDL is on a distinguished road
here's what i needed

I upgraded to the UMW brakes (which are incredible on the track) and needed:

A 10mm Hex key (old caliper bolts)
A T55 Torx bit (new caliper bolts)
A flare end wrench 10mm
Anti Seize compound

good diy on either rennlist or renntech, can't remember which

dave

Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 PM
do calipers just push in with clamp?? or turn in with tool

Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 AM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
I think Dave has covered everything....I fitted my big brakes (UMW sourced) just before Christmas....yes pistons just push back.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Since you're not replacing calipers, this job is very easy. The only other items not listed that I'd recommend are some long Zip ties (You'll use these to hold up the caliper and zip it to a suspension point while removing the rotor) and a piston compression tool from any parts store:

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7317A-Disc-Brake-Caliper/dp/B0002SQUJK/ref=pd_bbs_11?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1230815088& sr=8-11

That is a nicer version of the one I have and if you do a lot of your own work, it will pay for itself over time.

Just remember not to let the calipers "hang" suspended from the brake hose. The stress can cause the line to fail and leak... If the master cylinder is to full, you might have to remove some of the brake fluid. The reason for this is simple... If you push the pistons back into the caliper, that fluid has to go somewhere. You can create a bit of a mess in the trunk, so to avoid that, just remove some fluid... You can "dab a rag" into the master to draw out some fluid, (be careful not to get any on the paint) or use a mityvac tool like the one listed below!

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpo.asp

This is also a good time to bleed your brake system, and I'd also recommend a decent clear catch bottle and of course the Motiv brake bleeder... You can buy every tool you'll need to do your brakes for less than $200, and you'll be set for life! FYI, Pelicanparts sells all of the tools I just mentioned or linked...
Mike

Originally Posted by wowgogs
I am thinking about changing my own rotors and pads on my 2002 996TT
I have never done them before on a Porsche, done many on other vehicles thou.
Is this smart? Do I need any special tools? Do the calipers push in with clamp or do I need a special tool to turn them in.

Thanks

Last edited by Mikelly; 01-01-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys that was definatley helpful. I feel very comfortable now after that info in doing them my self...
is this the bleeder you are talking about?
http://www.motiveproducts.com/

Do I have to make sure and put in the exact brake fluid caus I have no idea what the old guy used...

Old 01-01-2009, 03:34 PM
o i just saw the link to the vacumm system u are talking about. same idea thou?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:04 PM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
The Motive brake bleeder works great....as Mike mentioned, catch bottles are needed. I used the ones with magnets included (just stick them on the disc). Total brake bleed took < 30 minutes. I also used the ATE Super Blue brake fluid (purged the complete system with 2 litres).

Last edited by MGS996TT; 01-01-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
As Mike said, this is a pretty easy job. You need an allen wrench on a socket to remove the calipers. Please, Please, Please!!! do not overtorque the caliper bolts when you put them back in: 63 ft-lbs. Otherwise, you'll be buying a new spindle. Don't ask me how I know.

I push the pads back a little differently. After removing the retaining rod, tak a pair of channel lock pliers, and put one jaw on the ear of the pad, the other on the caliper where the retaining rod goes through. Put a piece of rubber between the jaw and the caliper to avoid scratching the paint. Then squeeze the pliers until the pistons are fully retracted. If you are just changing pads, replace the one on the side you just compressed before going to the other side, ot else the pistons will expand into the gap where the pad was when you squeeze the other side.

Good luck!

Jon

Old 01-02-2009, 07:26 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
As Mike said, this is a pretty easy job. You need an allen wrench on a socket to remove the calipers. Please, Please, Please!!! do not overtorque the caliper bolts when you put them back in: 63 ft-lbs. Otherwise, you'll be buying a new spindle. Don't ask me how I know.

I push the pads back a little differently. After removing the retaining rod, tak a pair of channel lock pliers, and put one jaw on the ear of the pad, the other on the caliper where the retaining rod goes through. Put a piece of rubber between the jaw and the caliper to avoid scratching the paint. Then squeeze the pliers until the pistons are fully retracted. If you are just changing pads, replace the one on the side you just compressed before going to the other side, ot else the pistons will expand into the gap where the pad was when you squeeze the other side.

Good luck!

Jon

+1 torque wrench is a must. Aluminum is easy to strip.