996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A trunk release tip for those with dead batteries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
A trunk release tip for those with dead batteries

Guys,

I had recently tried to get into my trunk after the battery had died from not being driven.

The easiest solution I could find was to open the fuse box, there is a red box with the trunk release showing, pull it out so the metal contacts show, and just click the positive end of another doner battery (I used one of those portable battery jumpers) and clipping the negative to the metal clip on the frame of the car.

It seemed easy enough but after 15 minutes of trying, nothing.

I was just about to go home, realized because my window was also be sitting weird now, so forced myself to try it again.

The key, was to have your key in the door, and after you hook up the pos/neg, actually turn the key left and right a few times. Alarm started going off and I was able to click the trunk to release.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Good tip. Never know when you might need that...and finding that stainless steel string under the bumper is never easy.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
ekupa is a glorious beacon of lightekupa is a glorious beacon of lightekupa is a glorious beacon of lightekupa is a glorious beacon of lightekupa is a glorious beacon of lightekupa is a glorious beacon of light
I actually have been having a weird problem with my trunk release. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't release the latch. There is a sound like it is being actuated but the latch just doesn't release. So, where is the "stainless steel string" under the bumper?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Get your latch adjusted. see here

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
The steel braided wire...not string.....is sitting behind your passenger side headlight. If you open your toolkit and take out the tool that releases your headlight latch (you have to unscrew that black plastic screw on the interior liner and pry your liner away from the side)...then insert the tool in the slot on the side of the headlight and rotate it about 180 degrees...your headlight will slide forward and come all the way out..and you can see the wire lying there. Many folks re-route that wire so that it can be accessed by reaching up inside the front grill (hide the wire so it cant' be seen) without having to open your trunk.

I don't recall if the procedure is covered in your owner's manual. Once you've seen it done, it's simple. Takes about 3 minutes to take out your headlight module.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by adam699
Good tip. Never know when you might need that...and finding that stainless steel string under the bumper is never easy.
Yup! I was searching for what to do with the dead battery and releasing the trunk. Seemed the easiest thing to do (and is what Porsche suggests) is to just jump the trunk thru the fuse box). it truly would be a 2 minute ordeal, just ended up a lot longer since I didn't turn the key around!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
Good tip

Old 01-29-2009, 04:50 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
the cable...

With the front plastic bumper cover removed you can see the cable...

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
The steel braided wire...not string.....is sitting behind your passenger side headlight. If you open your toolkit and take out the tool that releases your headlight latch (you have to unscrew that black plastic screw on the interior liner and pry your liner away from the side)...then insert the tool in the slot on the side of the headlight and rotate it about 180 degrees...your headlight will slide forward and come all the way out..and you can see the wire lying there. Many folks re-route that wire so that it can be accessed by reaching up inside the front grill (hide the wire so it cant' be seen) without having to open your trunk.

I don't recall if the procedure is covered in your owner's manual. Once you've seen it done, it's simple. Takes about 3 minutes to take out your headlight module.
This of course assumes your toolkit isn't locked in the trunk.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
The objective of the writeup was to encourage folks to do the re-route of the cable BEFORE you ran into a situation that required you to open it with the alternative method.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Guys,
I did also see the writeup about the cable pull which looks to be useful as well. I came close to needing to do that method.
In any regard, IMO, the easiest way to deal with a dead trunk is just jumping the release. As long as you have access to jumper cables and battery when the car has fully died, it won't require you to take anything apart, etc.
Hope it helps when it happens and people do a search!
Jack