996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant and Radiator replacement???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Coolant and Radiator replacement???

After searching the forum I was still left with several questions.

I just put a new radiator on the car and I'm wondering if there are any precautions I need to take before starting the car. My plan is to jack the rear of the car up, fill the reservoir up with as much coolant as I can, and then start the car. The center radiator was installed without any coolant in it. Is there any precaution I need to take before turning the car over? I don't have the means to pressurize the system.

What is the capacity of the cooling system?

Also, if I do fill the car up with as much coolant as I can, without getting all the air out, and drive to my tech's shop, will this cause any problems?

Additionally, and comments on using Audi coolant in place of the Porsche coolant are appreciated.

Ryan

Old 02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
wowgogs is on a distinguished road
I would like to know this too as I will be starting my car next week after a new drivers side radiator....

Old 02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Coolant quantity is 27 liters. I use the Audi stuff, it is a different colour but has the same spec and our P-car stuff. I have changed my coolant many times.

The only thing you need to worry about is getting air locks in the system, if you do it will blow the main coolant hoses off in the engine bay, it has happened to me a few times until I got a Snap-on coolant bleeder tool which connects to a large air compressor and creates a 20 PSI vacuum.

If you just did your front radiator you should be fine as when I did my GT2 front nose conversion I had to flip the front rad and extend the main hoses. I did not bleed the system and it was fine, just topped her up that's all. I clamped off the main hoses when I did the job plus raised the front of the car about 15" and it worked fine.

Cheers,

Ben

Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Ryan, let me know if you want to borrow my Snap-on Rad Kit Plus kit. I used it once when I replaced one of my and it worked great.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 AM
wowgogs is on a distinguished road
o yikers that would suck if the hoses blew offf...
you got me a bit worried...
can u mix the audi coolant with the p stuff

Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Yes I did Ryan...it's no big deal. At some point you might want to do a complete flush of your system anyway. My hose blew when I dropped the motor the first time. It was simply an air lock thats all. No biggie. Was interesting though as I had half the *** end off driving around after we put the motor back in and boom, coolant all over the place, steam etc...it was quite funny actually, people driving by had no idea what was going on....LOL

Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 AM
slidingk1 is on a distinguished road
If your super picky about using good coolant I'd use Evan's NPR good stuff. It's a waterless coolant that does great in boosted cars. Kicker is that you have to drain "everything" to the last drop. But holds up to heat well and allows you to convert to a lower psi radiator cap. Thus putting less stress on gaskets etc.... It also doesn't corrode anything either good for a toy that gets put away for extended periods of time.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Does the Audi coolant lubricate the Porsche water pump well enough?

I actually had to drive the car for about a mile with an open cooling system, so I'm not too sure I'll be able to get the air out as easily as you Ben. BTW, did you put any coolant in the new reservoir before starting the car, or will the system get fluid thru the new radiator without a problem? I'm worried about surging.

Don, I appreciate the offer, but with the lack of a compressor I'm not sure it would work out. I might just flat bed the car to my tech. They are going to have to do a corner balance anyways. Many thanks though.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM
When I removed my front rad I did not put any coolant in. I did not loose a huge ammount when I removed it. Later after driving around a bit I topped it up.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I've never had a problem with filling up the radiator, overflow and then driving it hard enough to open the thermostat...then fill up the overflow again. Why would the porsche be different then a dozen other models?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Ryan, go to renntech.org, there is a diy for the third radiator install on a 996, he explains the process in detail. As I recall you fill it up as much as you can with the overflow resevoir open, when the thermostat opens the level drops and you add more. Then you leave the vent open on the overflow for a few days. Ths will get most of the air but you may still need to bring it in for a proper bleed.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Good call. I'll check there. Thanks Doug.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
The cooling system took over 5 gallons of juice, BTW.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:36 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Add some grain alcohol for true performance.
Ryan we have the same amount of posts,but i have more rep points,To bad.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I had zero issues with this when I replaced my center radiator last summer... Thought I did a DIY on "burping" the system...

Bottom line is to get the rear at about 45 degrees up in the air from the front. Then flip the metal barb on the blue cap to the vertical position. Remove the BLACK radiator cap. Start the car with the heater turned to its highest setting. This will allow the car to reach opperating temps quicker, and allow the T-stat to open up. Let the car run and get up to operating temps. Keep an eye on the reservoir and add fluid when the level drops (and it will). Once it gets up to 180 degrees, put the cap on it and let the car continue to run for about five minutes. Confirm the fans on the front corners are coming on and the coolant is circulating.

Once you've done that, you should be A-OK to shut it down, let it cool, and then crack the cap to check the level.

Mike