996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Window design flaw..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Merlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of light
Window design flaw..?

Hey guys,

I am trying figure out how to fix the wind noise from the windows at higher speeds. Has anyone else faced this, and able to get it resolved?

Thanks,

Old 03-04-2009, 01:57 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I don't recall hearing a wind noise on mine but have you checked all the seals? Also, do you hear the same noise on both pass/driver side?

Is there a chance your window is not fully down when you close the door so the top is actually still open? (referring to the function where the window should pop up UNDER the door when it closes...but sometimes it stays up.)

Old 03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Look it up in the manual, there is window angle adjustments on the bottom of the door.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Merlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of light
It appears to be operating properly when I close the door it goes up another 1/4 inch or so.

I will check out the manual and see what I find.

Thanks,

Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 PM
stevo996tt is on a distinguished road
i have a noise as well. i think its the rubber part

Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I found that any minor noises your car makes can be masked by a new louder exhaust system.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm in the market, but still recovering from the blow of the clutch. maybe in a few more months when the wife forgets the 5k I pulled out in this economy.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:31 AM
blackonblacktt will become famous soon enoughblackonblacktt will become famous soon enough
any fix?

I was wondering if anyone figured out a fix for this, mine has the same problem. I am planning to change the window regulator on the offending door (it also has the grinding noise) and will update if this fixes the wind noise as well. I would like to hear any thoughts that I may check while the door panel is off.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
mine has developed a slight wind sound at about 80 to 90 am going to look for the adjustment at the door bottom will keep u posted. it's an 01

Old 03-14-2009, 12:26 PM
halluz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ezmoney888
I found that any minor noises your car makes can be masked by a new louder exhaust system.

That's the best answer for sure.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 AM
blackonblacktt will become famous soon enoughblackonblacktt will become famous soon enough
Figured out my air leak problem

For most of you the under door adjustments should be capable of fixing the air leaking. My leak turned out to be due to a improperly aligned window. I bought the car with this leak so I initially worked on the assumption that the window was properly seated but not adjusted correctly. (this was not the case) If you lay down under the door with it open you will see 4 little plastic covers. When you pry them off you will see this: (You must have the window in the down position to see the height adjustment)

you will need a 10mm for the clamping adjustment and a 3/16th socket to adjust the height.

Attached Images  

Last edited by blackonblacktt; 04-18-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 AM
If this fails to resolve your problem you may need to reseat your window. This means that you will have to take your interior door panel out (as if installing a regulator) I came to this conclusion when I noticed, after adjusting the window ad naseum, that the seam in the rear of the door was grossly misaligned when compared to the passenger side door: (note that the top of the window may normally be narrower than the bottom)

Attached Images  

Last edited by blackonblacktt; 04-18-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 AM
To remove the inner door panel you need to follow the directions on this page: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

The only difference is initially prying the door handle front cover off (it is different on the boxster). Once you have gotten past the removal of the inside door cover the directions are correct for our cars.

To do this, pry with a soft non marring tool in this area:

Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2009, 10:31 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by blackonblacktt
For most of you the under door adjustments should be capable of fixing the air leaking. My leak turned out to be due to a improperly aligned window. I bought the car with this leak so I initially worked on the assumption that the window was properly seated but not adjusted correctly. (this was not the case) If you lay down under the door with it open you will see 4 little plastic covers. When you pry them off you will see this: (You must have the window in the down position to see the height adjustment)

you will need a 10mm for the clamping adjustment and a 3/16th socket to adjust the height.
Awesome post, thanks alot. Noticed a problem when I was in a car wash high speed drying bay. Comletely fixed the problem and both doors actually close with a nice air tight thud.

much appreciated.

PS - FYI the 10mm tool is the same one you use to take the headlights out in a 996. S/B in the tool set that came with the car.

Last edited by fdorn; 05-02-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Talking

Originally Posted by blackonblacktt
To remove the inner door panel you need to follow the directions on this page: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

The only difference is initially prying the door handle front cover off (it is different on the boxster). Once you have gotten past the removal of the inside door cover the directions are correct for our cars.

To do this, pry with a soft non marring tool in this area:
I'm having this exact issue with my new (to me) TT... will try this stuff tonight.

BTW, is that an Omega Speedmaster?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window design flaw..?