996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How hard is it to swap in OEM Nav to a non-Nav car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
MarkP has a spectacular aura aboutMarkP has a spectacular aura about
How hard is it to swap in OEM Nav to a non-Nav car?

As I'm looking to buy a 996TT, I see some with and without Nav. I love my Garmin Nuvi and I'm not expecting anything even close out of the Porsche unit, as it's an 8-yr old design without touch screen.

HOWEVER, I do like the larger screen and the look that it gives the radio. It helps make the interior look more modern, which the standard amber unit otherwise is a bit dated.

So, if I buy a car without Nav, how hard is it to add (since I note the HVAC gets relocated)?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 03-09-2009, 08:40 AM
StrathRoy is infamous around these parts
There are a few different threads here on stereo installs, at least one of them involves moving the hvac controls, so I don't think it is a big deal. Don't even consider trying to retrofit a factory nav unit - not only are they prehistoric, the wiring looms and harnesses are different in nav and non-nav cars. Stick with an aftermarket unit like the Kenwood.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by StrathRoy
There are a few different threads here on stereo installs, at least one of them involves moving the hvac controls, so I don't think it is a big deal. Don't even consider trying to retrofit a factory nav unit - not only are they prehistoric, the wiring looms and harnesses are different in nav and non-nav cars. Stick with an aftermarket unit like the Kenwood.
Thanks - I figured I'd try to keep the car mostly OEM, and thus was weighing my choices between these two OEM units. I did, however, see a Kenwood unit (With Garmin Nav) in a 996TT recently and thought that was pretty cool (I didn't know Garmin was integrated into aftermarket head units).

Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
This is the one I saw:

Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 AM
whoa, sorry for that size - didn't realize it was that big (it was shrunk on the website)

Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MarkP
whoa, sorry for that size - didn't realize it was that big (it was shrunk on the website)

Ha. Any pics of it further back? I want to see what the trim looks like. I have a factory NAV that I might be looking to dump if I go aftermarket. I'm having trouble swallowing the fact that it will cost me almost $1,000 to get my ipod, bluetooth phone, and Sat Radio going through the existing NAV unit. (and still need an external controller for the XM)

Old 03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Just this shot below. See the set of photos here:
http://www.motorcarinvestments.com/c...php?car_id=784

Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
FYI - this car was sold along with the stock unit as well. Similar to my concern for altering the dash, it was provided if the new owner wanted to put everything back to stock for the authentic look.